Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Need advise before going for course at underwatercentre

Need advise before going for course at underwatercentre

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Need advise before going for course at underwatercentre

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    tsk
    Participant

I need some advise on being an ROV pilot before going for the course at the under water centre in UK.

1) according to the training centre, rov pilots/technicians are very high on demandss. hence newly graduated rov pilots/technicians can find jobs easily. is this true?

2) the training centre mentioned about good pay even as a newbie. i will like to know the average range of the salary for newbies for their first jobs.

3) i have a diploma in electronics and communications. the training centre approved of my diploma and said i am able to go for the advance courses that skip the technical portion and i can train directly for the piloting training. however i have been working in the IT industry for the past 7years. i do not have any electronics work background. will that affect my employment?

4) i took a look at fugro employments page. they are only looking for technicians that do not requires rov training but just any electronics or electrical diploma. hence i am thinking if going for this course is even worth it.

please help me with my doubts. i am seriously interested in becoming a rov pilot. thank you

rover22
    Participant

Hi tsk,

Advice given over and over again by many forum users, if an employer will train you, dont waste your money.

FW is probably as good as most other schools and better than some, but they still want customers.

If FUGRO are interested in you, there are worse places to start. Many PTIIs have started at Fugro Survey Middle East and are still happily working regular trips out there.

My advice, keep your day job, respond to company recruitment drives (research the companies first so you can identify opportunities), make yourself available for interviews, research ROV manufacturers and systems to get some background knowledge and keep plugging away. If you really want to do the FW course, you should (in my opinion) treat it as a familiarisation only and do the pilot training only seeing as how you are technical. Dont do the tech add-ons, it will be a waste of money and time. I would only resign the day-job once a company has taken you. Many people have cut loose, done all the courses and then sat with bills to pay and in debt. If the companies want you and you have the background, they will pay.

Lastly, check out the IMCA website (www.imca-int.com, careers for more info, especially the downloads on ROV competence and training and career guides and Q&A for persons interested in working in the ROV industry.

It may also be worth spending money on an offshore medical first, I have heard of a guy who did all the courses, survival and then found out at the end he was not medically-fit to go offshore.

Good luck

rover22

Bristar
    Participant

Is an IT background really suitable for ROVs? I’d have thought an electrical or hydraulic background pretty much essential.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Is an IT background really suitable for ROVs? I’d have thought an electrical or hydraulic background pretty much essential.

There are quite a few vehicles being manufactured now that are totally data-based systems. If you can troubleshoot data and make up all the associated connectors properly, use a meter safely, route cables, etc. you’d have a good start. You’ll need a High Voltage cert so, yes you really should have a basic electrics cert on you (for starters…).

READ FAQ’s here to the left / the rest of this forum and surf through Ron’s ROV links as well.

tsk
    Participant

i have electronics diploma and certification during my tertiary education. however my job history are all software and training related. so will this means that my employment chances will be greatly lowered even though i have get my rov pilot certification.

btw, i am from singapore.

thanks for everyone that have replied. its really a great help to me for deciding if i should make this huge career switch from my current job.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Get up to Loyang O. S. Base then and check with the companies there or the other end at Kwang Min Rd. (OI). Start knockin’ on the doors…

tsk
    Participant

so this will mean that even if a person get his certfication as rov pilot, as a newbie, he probably will not get a job easily?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Tsk,
    Not at all… You’ve got to make yourself very visible without being a nuisance, use what interview skills you have, and follow up regularly.

tsk
    Participant

I see. Thanks for the advice.

I tried going to a few companies’ websites and found out that all are seeking technicians and they do not require rov pilot certification but only electronics background and experienced.

this makes makes me quite unsure if i can get a job after quitting my current job (i cant keep my current job if i go to the course), pay the expensive fee and go thru the course and stuffs. ha

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Phone some of the companies and ask. Drop around and speak to some people there. As was mentioned make yourself visible to them.

rovjas
    Participant

best thing to do is to keep calling and sending in updates CVs.

I did the ROV course nearly 2 years ago and never suceeded in gettin an ROV job. I got a couple of interview but that was about it. Probably my own fault for not doing my homework before I went about doing the course.

But even then when I asked if my background would be good enough I was told yes. Obviously not!

So as it stands now Im working as a Geotec working with a wide range of underwater surveying, sampling and coring equipment.

With the current job were on just now we’re working along side one of Acergy’s ROV’s. And I think its about as close as I’m going to get to working with one.

ROVRatt
    Participant

I really feel for people being given the misinformation I see in this Thread.

according to the training centre, rov pilots/technicians are very high on demandss. hence newly graduated rov pilots/technicians can find jobs easily. is this true?

You cannot graduate from any training centre as an ROV pilot/technician. When you go offshore for the first time you are like a rabbit caught in car headlights and a liabililty on deck. It takes a while even before you will be trusted. Remember, they are not going to let unknown you jump into the electronics pod of a 2.5 million dollar system and cause 2 days downtime, no matter what underwater training centre, university or college you graduated from.

TSK, I am sending you the phone number of a Singaporan ROV pilot by PM. Have a chat with him.

Good luck.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar