Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? New safety regs for offshroe vessels?

New safety regs for offshroe vessels?

Home Forums General Guess what I’ve just heard/read? New safety regs for offshroe vessels?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Andy Birchall
    Participant

Anyone have any details on these apparent new safety regs coming in at the end of the year for offshore vessels. Apparently a lot are being refitted in dry-dock now to comply in advance.

I presume it is only something relevant to UK waters, but I don’t know for sure. Any good sites I can check out for that sort of info. Checking Lloyd’s List right now (well, as soon as I finish typing this, that is…)

Ray Shields
    Participant

Nope.

reg
    Participant

So who has been spreading these rumours then?

I don’t think it is vessels in dry dock that is hampering your employment. it is quiet at the mo! a lot of boats sitting in or around port.

check DNV and the classification society websites – no mention.

Andy Birchall
    Participant

Interesting. Maybe the guy’s confusing his information a little. Still, I guess the important thing is that it is generally quiet, whatever the reason may be.

Thanks.

Anonymous

Anyone have any details on these apparent new safety regs coming in at the end of the year for offshore vessels.
    Hi
    Never in Asia, if they are to old for North Sea we will see them soon.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Interesting. Maybe the guy’s confusing his information a little. Still, I guess the important thing is that it is generally quiet, whatever the reason may be.

Thanks.

It is not generally quiet. It is just as busy as ever. I dont know who you are speaking to or why they think it is quiet.

Andy Birchall
    Participant

Just about every ROV employment agency I’ve spoken to in the past couple of days has said that, as well as several guys on ROV World and a few other people I’ve spoken to outside of ROV World. It’s a running theme among people I’m talking to about the industry.

In fact, so far you’re the only person who’s told me the opposite is true.

Maybe you’re experienced enough that you’ve got plenty of work. For us rookies it looks to be different at the moment.

K2
    Participant

IOMAndyB

You probably hit the nail on the head there. If you are a trainee you should steer clear of agencies. You may do really well but will get little or no acknowledgement but one mistake and everyone will remember you.

Try starting with a company, they can afford to send you out as an extra man to learn the ropes, they’ll put you through relavant courses etc and you get the right level of exposure to give you a foundation to progress.

Try something like this:

http://www.interventiontechnology.com/en/careers.php?id=12

If you have no electrical, mechanical or hydraulic experience then be prepared for lots of disappointment. It is possible to progress but it’s a long and winding road. Bear in mind there’s hundreds of people trying to get in the industry so it’s all down to your motivation, attitude and determination.

Good luck

πŸ˜‰

Ray Shields
    Participant

Just about every ROV employment agency I’ve spoken to in the past couple of days has said that, as well as several guys on ROV World and a few other people I’ve spoken to outside of ROV World. It’s a running theme among people I’m talking to about the industry.

In fact, so far you’re the only person who’s told me the opposite is true.

Maybe you’re experienced enough that you’ve got plenty of work. For us rookies it looks to be different at the moment.

You said the industry was quiet, the industry is not quiet. You are trying to get a job as a trainee, but most companies go to Agencies for experienced people. Why pay an Agency money to supply someone that you then have to train?

You are talking to people as a trainee, this is the reason they have no work for you. As K2 says, you are looking in the wrong place for a start, you need to get a job as a trainee with a Company, you have a very slim chance of geting one via an Agency.

And yes there is a shortage of people and yes companies are taking trainees on – but the workplace can only cope with so many trainees at a time so not everyone is going to get a job.

Andy Birchall
    Participant

Well, I’m also talking to a lot of companies directly as well.

In fact, I think about 90% of my applications have gone out to individual companies. I’m only talking here about the responses I’m getting from the agencies I’ve spoken to.

I’m also hearing more about the industry NOT being quite now that I posted that message on here. So I’m getting different stories from all over the place. Still I think that’s why it’s called a ‘balanced’ view. Lol.

Grateful for any information/advice, so thank you.

And thanks for that link, K2.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I agree with Ray on this.

For people with experience it is not quiet.

For trainees it may be a different matter. A company (or agency) will tell you it is quiet if they have no requirement for trainees, rather than say… we don’t want trainees at the moment.
    That has been a standard answer for years.

With oil at USD$100+ /barrel I doubt if it will be quiet in the foreseeable future.

Anonymous

HI
    Here in Asia it’s not quiet, I get a few mails every week about work, even from people I have never heard about, so I must be good, or they are desperate, hhmmmm, maybe the last when i think about it. πŸ˜• πŸ˜•

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar