Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion New to the ROV Career and looking to get hired

New to the ROV Career and looking to get hired

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion New to the ROV Career and looking to get hired

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joel Fischetti
    Participant

Just separated from the US Navy and I spent 4 years in the military working on ROV’s. I was able to make it to a supervisory position within 2 years. Looking to get into a civilian ROV career and trying to get any advise of where I need to start or where to look…

Any ideas that could help?

James McLauchlan
    Participant
    • Get a valid offshore medical
    • Get a valid offshore survival certificate.
    • Prepare your CV roughly along the lines suggested in the FAQ section.
    • Start hunting down contact info for ROV companies, agencies.
    • Build up a list of names within the co’s that actually deal with CV’s and make employment decisions (i.e. get past the receptionist).
    • Email your CV out to the co’s.
    • Try to arrange interviews.
    • Make more phone calls and try to build up phone contacts in the co’s and call them every now and then. Do not just make contact once and wait for them to call you, you need to keep your profile up in their heads.
    • Go to (say) Houston(USA) or Aberdeen(UK) or another well known offshore hiring point, and knock on doors. Make sure you as much contact info, names, addresses, contact numbers, as possible before you head over there. Also get mobile numbers if you can.
    • Repeat the last three suggestions until something come out of it.
    Scott Beveridge
    Participant

James,

Do you not get weary???

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Often!

But, in my heart, we genuinely want to help…. Gina and I wouldn’t have hammered away at this website for the last nine years+ if not.
    Yep! This URL (ROVworld.com) is getting close to 10 years of operation.

You’ve started me off…………..

There is a commercial spin off that now exits, and I have to say we didn’t ever think of it at the outset. It just hit without us seeing it coming, but I guess it’s all down to how popular the site had become over the years. Advertising now covers the cost of running the site but the underlying concept, providing free information for the ROV industry has not changed I guess.
    I have to ask myself sometime, do people realise how much effort we (Gina and I, Ron, Ray and other members of the team) have put into this? All for nothing. I guess not. Give it to me, it’s free.. I want, seems to be more the case these days, rather than anyone wanting to give something back.

One thing that has changed though is that (once) many people would hunt high and low before asking for help. Now the give it to me on a plate button seems to prevail, which is a shame really. I guess it’s a sign of the times.

If you want to get anywhere in life you really need to push all the buttons yourself, then pass on what you learn and (maybe) one day the favour will be returned. That philosophy has worked for us so far (financially and friendship wise) and we will continue to run along the lines of helping others when we can.
    For all you ‘Jacks’ out there.. read and weep!

With the OP, I resisted the chance to be sarcastic, which sometimes is hard!

The information I provided was genuine and I hope it helps.

All the best
    James Mc

T-Boy
    Participant

Slight deviation from the OP, I have bitten through my bottom lip trying not to respond to the ‘same old same old’ posts…especially when I read supervisor and two years in the same sentence 🙄 👿

If you want to get anywhere in life you really need to push all the buttons yourself

Such wise words Jimbob…Fortunately the majority grew of us grew up in an era where you had to do it yourself, and learn bloody quickly or get left behind…Now, pretty much everything has to be force fed as though you owe it to them 😯
    This mentality has pushed us into a corner offshore where we have to have competencies, JSA or risk assessment done before we can even fart! All to cover the growing incompetency of the people coming offshore.

I admire your patience and devotion to the common cause.

Hat firmly off.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Slight deviation from the OP, I have bitten through my bottom lip trying not to respond to the ‘same old same old’ posts…especially when I read supervisor and two years in the same sentence

Very cool 8)

Stick with it…. at least your bottom lip is not bleeding, yet!

Mine neither, but sometimes it gets close.

Ray Shields
    Participant

FAQ Updated 🙂

James McLauchlan
    Participant

FAQ Updated 🙂

Nice one :tup:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar