Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Newbie needing advice

Newbie needing advice

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Newbie needing advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Glyn Parry
    Participant

Good morning/ afternoon/ evening gents,

After reading loads of other topics I believe I should be in a good position to move forward with my future plans to become a ROV pilot technician. I guess I am just looking to get final confirmation of what I have and need to be successful.

Background (in brief):
    14 years in the REME (British Army) as an Electronics Technician. Where I have worked in the following fields/ equipment:

• Rapier FSC surface to air missile systems- this is all Electronics/ hydraulics/ servos/ camera/ guidance systems (6 years).
    • Armoured vehicles/ plant – Mainly electronics and remote weapon systems.(2 years).
    • Route clearance systems- This was mostly working on EOD Robots, remote weapon, and remote surveillance equipment (2 years).
    • Communication systems- Mainly VHF but also includes the modification of vehicles/ systems to make them compatible.

On top of all that I am a Sergeant and have been running small workshops and repair teams for the past 6 years, including inspecting equipment, completing reports and returns for the workshop.

I have also completed several tours and have no problems working away or at short notice.

Qualification- BTEC in electronic/ electrical engineering.

I currently have 4 months left to serve and have £2500 to use on courses. After this I am doing an overland tour back to the UK which will take me about 2-3 months. I will then be looking to move to Australia (work dependant/ visas etc).

Questions that I really need answering:

I would ideally like to do my ROV course in Australia (looking at the Challenger institute of technology) as my brother lives in that area and can supply me with accommodation and transport for that period of time. I will be looking at completing it after I have completed my travelling- this way I will be available to work straight after the course- people have been telling me to get a course as soon as possible but surely doing a course and then not working in the industry for over 6 months would be detrimental rather than beneficial?

As I have mentioned, I have a load of money for courses…. I would like to get qualified in areas that will increase my chances of employment…. There is an IOSH course (seems flavour of the month at the moment) running next month at my local university, or could anyone else recommend anything else?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Glyn

On another note- I am also looking for an old boss- Alan Whitehouse. I heard he went down the ROV route after leaving the forces. Would be awesome to catch up and have a few beers….. Does any one have any contact with him? (I am unaware if he is still in the industry).

Ray Shields
    Participant

Prior to attending any training course, I would suggest actually APPLYING for ROV Trainee jobs, that way you would then see if you already have enough to get a job.

Unfortunately, you will be in the same position as many leaving the Forces and trying to get into the industry.

Looking at the experience posted, I would suggest increasing or improving qualifications and/or experience in hydraulics and possibly computer networks (USB hubs, IP addresses, Intranet etc. as many modern ROVs are full if this)

Have you looked into whether you would be eligible to get a visa etc. in Australia? As it stands, you would not actually be an ROV Pilot when you apply for a visa so would you still qualify for a work permit (don’t know much about their visas).

By the way, £2500 for courses is not really a load of money, it will soon go!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar