Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Oceaneering India – 7 year bond and bank guaranteee needed!

Oceaneering India – 7 year bond and bank guaranteee needed!

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Oceaneering India – 7 year bond and bank guaranteee needed!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    phenom
    Participant

Hi All,

I am a ROV staff with Oceaneering I know crew have to sign a bond and provided Bank Guarantee. Let me explain

It is not that anyone who signs the bond or provides bank guarantee can join Oceaneering.

There is a detailed written interview and then oral interview. Only candidates with more than 70% marks are selected.

Oceaneering then provides training for next 8 months in its India base as well as in Batam. Then they are introduces to ROV on rigs.

Earlier Oceaneering was not taking any Bank Guarantee or bond but because some guys left it after training this process was started.

Oceaneering provides steady employment irrespective of market conditions and does not lay off.
    It provides on shore as well as offshore pay.
    The money offered by Oceaneering is as per the standard of living in the country of origin and the money provided to Indian staff is equivalent to highest scales as per Indian industry.

In addition to pay the crew are also given many benefits such as once in a year free travel for family and lap top.
    Every Year 13.33% of our gross pay is added to a scheme called gratuity and this is paid to anyone who stays with Oceaneering for 7 years.
    And by the way those who submit Bank Guarantee put this money in fixed deposit in bank and then get BG by keeping these with banks as security. After expiry of BG these fixed deposits will be doubled because of the interest earned. So they in fact make money on this as well as by then they will have excellent jobs.
    Lastly whenever an employee has any personal problem no effort is spared to help him.

Hello Dude,

I know about the things happening at Oceaneering.

So many of my friend working there.

And one of my friend is working as Mechanical / Hydraulic Instructor in Oceaneering, Batam. He said that all other guys who r from Overseas get the pay as International standard. Pay is far better from Indian Pay.

There are so many companies in the world who want their employees to sign on a contract.

But I never seen any company which requires a bank guarantee.

This is happening only in Oceaneering India, not with Oceaneering International.

Coming to the pay rate I’m sure that you’ll not get more than INR 70,000($1700) per month. Even a call centre guy who works 8 Hrs a day in India get Min INR30,000($800) per month.

Then what is the need of working offshore, stay away from the family for such a long time.

And coming to employment, you guys have been recruited after you Degree and given training by Oceaneering itself.

But this is not the case with us. We did our IMCA ROV Course on our own by spending so many GBPs from our pocket.

What do you say ROVKnight?

shohebshaikh
    Participant

Hi rovknight

I have a question for you..

If you say that the company pays accoriding to the living standards of a country. which means you are paying peanuts in India. How the hell do you expect some once to give trruckloads of money as a bank guarantee????????????

And apart from that some one who payz that kinda money can never reciover it with such day rates…

And besides i would also like to ask you if people who join oceaneering inother parts of the globe. Do they have to sign a bond and give a bank guarantee? If they have to then what is the amount of the bank guarantee and the pay rates there….

And any watyz there is no literature for this kinda stuff on the oceaneering website any way..

ROVKNIGHT please enlighten me on the situation..

Micky
    Participant

Hi All,

I am a ROV staff with Oceaneering I know crew have to sign a bond and provided Bank Guarantee. Let me explain

It is not that anyone who signs the bond or provides bank guarantee can join Oceaneering.

There is a detailed written interview and then oral interview. Only candidates with more than 70% marks are selected.

Oceaneering then provides training for next 8 months in its India base as well as in Batam. Then they are introduces to ROV on rigs.

Earlier Oceaneering was not taking any Bank Guarantee or bond but because some guys left it after training this process was started.

Oceaneering provides steady employment irrespective of market conditions and does not lay off.
    It provides on shore as well as offshore pay.
    The money offered by Oceaneering is as per the standard of living in the country of origin and the money provided to Indian staff is equivalent to highest scales as per Indian industry.

In addition to pay the crew are also given many benefits such as once in a year free travel for family and lap top.
    Every Year 13.33% of our gross pay is added to a scheme called gratuity and this is paid to anyone who stays with Oceaneering for 7 years.
    And by the way those who submit Bank Guarantee put this money in fixed deposit in bank and then get BG by keeping these with banks as security. After expiry of BG these fixed deposits will be doubled because of the interest earned. So they in fact make money on this as well as by then they will have excellent jobs.
    Lastly whenever an employee has any personal problem no effort is spared to help him.

"rovknight"

One question – is this a new kind of method to revive slavery? 😕
    It really looks like this.. if you calculate all the earning and add a 7 years of dependence.

Waiting answer.Simulation pret immobilier

James McLauchlan
    Participant

So the employee signs/deposits a seven year bond, but does oceaneering guarantee that they will employ them for seven years? I doubt it sincerely.

You can bet that in the small print Oceaneering would be within their rights to drop the employee with (say) 4 weeks notice. There is not one company around that does something like this for the benefit of the employee. It’s always a one way street. Anyone reading this with a feeling that the above practice is remotely acceptable needs to go away and have a chat with themselves.

It is totally out of order.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Yes indeed folks… looks like OI have come to a new low in terms of takin’ care of the "boys"…… diodes and check valves come to mind!!!

rovrave
    Participant

take note of what?, what’s your point?

same old shit, different day?

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Raver,

The fact that bonded slavery is being done by "one of the big players" (yeah, right) and there’s an appalling lack of solidarity in this bloody industry. Without failing to mention the all too many "I’m awright Jack’s" that clutter these esteemed pages….

That’s my point … what’s yours? (Jack…)

vikram
    Participant

Yep,

I’m from India too and when I contacted Oceaneering, I was told the same. Infact, before telling me anything about the job, the first thing he asked for was the bank guarantee (which I thought was fishy). He did try to explain that they’ve started this because they found that people leave soon after training and this is their way of enforcing company loyalty. But c’mon! I think INR 15,00,000 is A LOT of money.

It’s not just the money and the 7.5 year bond. But it’s the way that they presented it, that turned me off. I quite certain I don’t want to be associated with a company like this.

I’m an Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering graduate. Also have completed a short duration Hydraulic Engineering course. And I know that Venki is also an Electrical and Electronics Engineer. It’s not like we’re underqualified guys fishing for a job. We’ve done the hard work and spent a fair amount of money investing in ourselves to start a career.

Unfortunately, Oceaneering is the only major ROV company in India and getting a start overseas with the current market situation is hard. But that’s just how it is, eh? 🙂 Will keep trying!

rovrave
    Participant

scott,

i think i was following the implications of the thread, i was wondering about your comment actually..

Down tools!!! JW, take note!!!!!

why JW ???????is this JW personage one who would normally be holding tools to be expected to lay them down?

back to the subject, i don’t think anybody would agree with people being exploited, so thanks to the original poster for high lighting whats going on with OI in India.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

take note of what?, what’s your point?

same old shit, different day?

It’s certainly not the same old shit. Where did you get that idea from?

There is not any other ROV employers that I can think of trying it on like this.
    It’s very wrong and need to be highlighted to those thinking of being bonded into service by Oceaneering.

Those in India that feel this may be a little out of whack are certainly not wrong in their assumption.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

scott,

i think i was following the implications of the thread, i was wondering about your comment actually..

Down tools!!! JW, take note!!!!!

why JW ???????is this JW personage one who would normally be holding tools to be expected to lay them down?

back to the subject, i don’t think anybody would agree with people being exploited, so thanks to the original poster for high lighting whats going on with OI in India.

Hmmmmm…

Raving,

Just what does the above underlined / bold piffle got to do with this thread???? Tool this dude!!!

rovrave
    Participant

fair enough the bank gaurantee is not the same old shit..but….

oceaneering screwing their guys…same old same old.

they always try to use as much local labour as they can but…oh oh only if it’s the cheapest. They have tried for years in Singapore to squeeze the expats out but they can’t quite ever mange it. Reason being the locals they train over in batam (mainly singaporeans) they screw them over on day rates (much lower than expat trainees at sonsub singapore or canyon singapore) and also screw them by leaving them offshore forever without promised crew changes. then when they do get off it’s nothing to get a call within the week to be ordered straight back offshore (no excuses entertained if you want to keep your job) anyway suprisingly enough when those guys get to supervise (on lower than the expat rate) they only feel they should put back in what they have got out from the company(usually a pretty raw deal.

anyway up shot is.they haven’t been totally able to go 100 percent cheap labour and make it work…..but same old , same old, they are still trying.

shit deal from oi…same old same old, i don’t know how many times i (and others i know) have got a call in times gone by to go out as a tech. when we get to butt f**k nowhere we find the tether hanging out waiting for a reterm, the pump blown up, the crane malfunctioning and oh you are the supervisor and if you refuse you will never work in this industry again they tell you.
    in more recent times i went as spvsr, it was worse i got 2 local trainees on their first ever trip offshore and all the usual faults on the rov. The rate wasn’t good either. needless to say i have moved on.

low rates for certain nationalities and tying to a contract in return for so called trining?….same old same old.
    Sonsub singapore have been doing that with phillipinos for 5 years. They were paid 50 usd a day offshore, after every 2 month trip they were required straight back in the workshop in singapore (on a lower rate) until they went offshore again on another 2 month er. And get this, i heard the plan was to slowly test the waters and introduce these guys into the states and nth sea to replace as many expats as possible. well more correctly to replace any one on higher rates!

i heard rates have since improved for these guys, (at sonsub)but that was only because the expats went to bat for them and constantly complained to management and threatened not to work with these guys unless their rates went up. suprisingly enough these guys never banded together and demanded higher wages for themselves. they were actually in a strong position to do so, at one stage as, as a group they were 60 percent of the companies offshore staff

anyway companies trying it on like this,.. same old, same old. maybe o.i have just reached new lows with the slave labour / bank gaurantee/ bonding scam

anyway, maybe readers of this thread will be stirred up enough to fight back a bit against o.i. it’s not just these guys in india that are getting knifed. Every time other o.i guys run scared and go back to work after only 3 days off (when they don’t want to), everytime you work for the shite rates they are handing out compared to others, everytime you work with 2 trainees both on their first job, everytime you endure food that would be condidered rough in a mumbai slum…..you are contibuting to this. where does it end??? let this insight by our indian colleagues give you some insight

it’s unpleasant, but truth of the matter same old same old.just a new all time low thats all

rovrave
    Participant

scott / dude?

re: "down tools JW take note"

re: "Just what does the above underlined / bold piffle got to do with this thread???? Tool this dude!!!"

that is my point exactly! you wrote it! several posts back. the signifigance baffled me

re:"Tool this dude!!!"….another of your comments.maybe your sign in should be rude dude?

you shouldn’t be so touchy if you write something that is not self explanatory and somebody asks for clarification.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Rave,

Agreed… we were both off topic there. Our personal / professional past dealings don’t have squat concerning the crap that’s going on with the likes of companies such as OI…

Good feedback above…. FYI- folks Rave is upper management and from what I hear actually takes care of his employees pretty good and fairly – just don’t blow it when you guys get bigger, know what I mean.

So folks, what to do here? Avoid OI like the plague? Can you younger guys do that? Can us old / crusty barstewards count on you to actually look after the industry’s better interest and find work elsewhere? I’m curious as to how many will answer to this….

And a pre-empted answer to anyone whom may ask, "scotbeve, didn’t you ever lower your rate to get a job?" The answer? YES, I did…. not too often, but yes I did. So, I ‘m well aware of economic obligations people in the industry may have.

What can we do about this?

shohebshaikh
    Participant

Hi Scot,

I dont think any of us will ever want to work for OI unless things change.
    I really appreciate and thank all you guys for you advise.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar