Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Oceaneering Interview advice

Oceaneering Interview advice

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Oceaneering Interview advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    Gareth
    Participant

Hey all, new to the board here, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I have an interview next week for Oceaneering as a trainee ROV tech, just wondered if anyone else has had experience of this and if so what I can expect? It’d also be handy to know from any current or past employees what they’re like to work for?

Cheers

adam graham
    Participant

Hi Gareth

Was just looking at your post as was wondering how your interview went with Oceaneering?

Thanks

Adam

Gareth
    Participant

Sorry for the very late reply Adam but it went great thanks, and I ended up getting the job.

6 months in and I enjoy the job, although I can’t wait to be offshore only as I am offshore as well as workshop whilst we’re training, I think another couple of months and that’ll be sorted though.

Definitely made the right move I think.

adam graham
    Participant

Hi Gareth

Great news on your Job, well done!

ive been applying for some jobs in Aberdeen in the rov sector so fingers crossed but really stuggling at the minute to even get replys!

Craig
    Participant

Hi Adam,

I noticed that you are looking to get in to ROV work? I see DOF subsea have vacancys for ROV personnel in the local evening express paper tonight (25-01-12). I am just away to start work as an ROV tooling technician in two weeks, had been looking arond for a while so perceverence does pay off! good luck in your search.

craig

Rosser Barnett
    Participant

Hi Gareth.

Hows the job going?

I was wondering if you could help me out, I recieve a Email today asking me to come to a interview at Oceaneering in Aberdeen.
    It’s next week and was wondering the same thing you were when you posted your question on here.
    What is the interview like? Could you give me a example or two of the kind of thengs they ask?
    Also I know this sounds silly but what sort of clothes would you recommend be worn at interview?
    I’ve been offshore before and have worked all over the world doing differant types of jobs on rigs.
    I’ve wanted to be a ROV pilot since I first saw a ROV aged 18 and I’m now almost 32.
    It’s been a long dream and I hope this is now the realization of a dream.
    Cheers.

Craig
    Participant

For my Oceaneering interview I wore trousers, shirt with no tie. Worked for me. They wont grill you to hard, have heard that they now have an aptitude test for new hires tho..

Rosser Barnett
    Participant

Hey Scot2ozROV, cheers for the comment, it’s much appreciated.
    Puts me a little more at ease but at the same time makes me wonder what the aptitude test consists of.
    Can’t imagine it to be more difficult that what my interview was for my current job.

Any more comments welcome. Thanks.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Some tests I have seen included giving a hydraulics diagram or electrical diagram (depending on your skill set) to the person and asking them questions about it or to describe what it was.

Sure weeds out the likes of "hydraulic" people when you hand them a diagram and they have no idea what they are looking at 😀

Craig
    Participant

The one I seen covered electrical theory, mechanical and hydraulic plus the usual aptitude style questions. Didn’t look the easiest test I have seen but sure you will be fine, the last set of guys that did the interview in Aberdeen I heard didn’t have to do the test so hopefully you will be one of the lucky ones. Good Luck 🙂

bluemagi
    Participant

Be sincere, the aptitude test consist of a series of 50 questions, both electrical and hydraulic of which they will then decide if you are electrically or mechanically inclined

As long as you have a technical background, they will be easy for you

sample questions include calculations using F=mA or V=iR or magnetism
    MCQ types..

Johnny Bravo
    Participant

Ross3r…

Was that for a ROV Technician job or a Tooling Technician job you got the interview for?

Ewan McKen
    Participant

Also I know this sounds silly but what sort of clothes would you recommend be worn at interview?

I would recommend a suit and tie (and polish your shoes).

You might think it is old fashioned, but the people doing the hiring will probably see it as a mark of respect.

Regards,
    I5

Rosser Barnett
    Participant

Hey Guys had the interview today and thank you for your advice.

My interview was 20 minutes long, started off with a what do you think you can bring to the job as afar as traits and skills.
    Was then asked a few questions out of the new hire book and then we talked about the job. things like pay and so on.
    The HR lady asked one or two questions and then said she would send me her Email address in case I thought of any other questions.

So I guess it’s a wait and see thing now.

What do you guys think???

Nigel Houghton
    Participant

Hey Guys had the interview today and thank you for your advice.

My interview was 20 minutes long, started off with a what do you think you can bring to the job as afar as traits and skills.
    Was then asked a few questions out of the new hire book and then we talked about the job. things like pay and so on.
    The HR lady asked one or two questions and then said she would send me her Email address in case I thought of any other questions.

So I guess it’s a wait and see thing now.

What do you guys think???

Hi Ross 3r,
    I also have an interview with Oceaneering in Aberdeen next week, found your info helpful-thank you. Can i ask what questions were asked regarding the hire book? what is this hire book????!!!!! Hope it works out for you, have you heard anything yet.

Regards
    Slappy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar