Home Forums General General Board Oceaneering USA

Oceaneering USA

Home Forums General General Board Oceaneering USA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    ctown
    Participant

I know Oceaneering has a bad reputation for bad pay and such. I just wanted to know about Oceaneering in the USA. I’ve spoken to a good guy who says they’re pretty good. unlike the Asian and UK counterparts, I’ve heard about. Can anybody else add to my friends good words???? or are they all the same. Please answer from experience and not be bias.
    Thanks guys.

Ctown

Jason Garic
    Participant

Here’s the deal with OII U.S.
    -Great training for new hires
    -Great opportunity for experience if your motivated
    -Decent insurance
    -Great 401k…..you can make big money if you actively monitor and participate in it.
    -Decent bonus’ if you play by the rules
    -Decent vehicles;
    -Great technical assistance; some operators depend solely on this department to get them out of a bind.
    -Poor pay rates compared to the rest of the industry in the GOM. Most new hires make less than new hire roustabouts. Cable TV installers on the beach make more an hour than new hires.
    -If you don’t ring your own bell constantly, kiss ass, or smash down doors, you get nothing and good day sir!
    -If you keep answering your phone when they call…they’ll always call you when they need someone. If you tell them no everytime, they’ll leave you alone and note it in your "record." This will in no way hurt you.
    -Vessel/construction workers are the best of the company. If you stay with them, you’ll excel anywhere else you go.
    -Lots of opportunity to branch off into other areas of the business. Morgan City alone has Technical, Manufacturing, Tooling, Inventory, Transportation, and ofcourse…operations. Many sharp individuals have jumped over to OIE and become great engineers, tooling technicians, etc.
    -Best all around beach support. Parts, tools, tooling. If you stay on top of your inventory, you rarely get caught with your pants down.

Overall….great place to start out and get a good foundation…GOM. Even though their hourly rates are poor, their bonus’, and client bonus’ on certain rigs, make up for the difference.

Disclaimer: 8+ years working for OII. Left for new adventures and more ducks. No ill feelings or bridges burned. So my opinion is somewhat unbiased.

ctown
    Participant

Your input is much appreciated. Thanks.

Ctown

Danny Authement
    Participant

I have been with them for almost 2 years and I love it. I work in the GOM and the money was not good to start, but I have gotten $4 an hour increase in that time from when I started. I have had 2 people I went to class with already quit to go to Sonbub for more money. My superintendent says he has seen many people go for more money and always come back (which OII hires them) because they other companies don’t have enough work to keep them busy. I, for one, will stay here and am very happy with the system I work on and the crew.

Anonymous

I have been with them for almost 2 years and I love it. I work in the GOM and the money was not good to start, but I have gotten $4 an hour increase in that time from when I started. I have had 2 people I went to class with already quit to go to Sonbub for more money. My superintendent says he has seen many people go for more money and always come back (which OII hires them) because they other companies don’t have enough work to keep them busy. I, for one, will stay here and am very happy with the system I work on and the crew.

4$ in 2 years,,,, are you kidding?

Danny Authement
    Participant

No kidding… I got $2 for completing my SSE and $2 when I moved from R5 (junior tech) to R4 (tech).

rovbionic
    Participant

dj
    I started out with OI and the trainning was 2nd to none…but the $ was limited…been agencey for the last 4 years and and always busy.
    Working on OI job in West Africa and all the lads are from UK office.

The US office is another world….my experience is the attitude in US trainne as compared to some of the UK lads is also different.The UK lads seem to have more common sense and a better attitude.
    Advise…don’t get caught up in the grading system…it means little…you eiether have your act togetther or not.

Will say that OI seems to have a lot of work.

Danny Authement
    Participant

I was told the compency book "grading system" was designed to keep folks from coming up to the managers asking for a raise all the time. You have to stay a R5 (jr tech) for 15 months, R4 (tech) for a year, R3 (sr tech) for a year, etc… I always hear stories about a guy going into the office bitchin’ about someone he worked with gets $xx more than him and he had to show him how to do this and that and threatens to quit and gets his $xx raise to shut him up. I guess the compency book is worldwide with OI? I had just turned in my SSE passport when they gave me the compency book and had to start from the beginning all over again.

TEAMJBR
    Participant

DJ
    If you look at the pay rates for OI Eastern region eg Sup on GBP 350 a day no hour rate for eg.
    You will see why we dont come over your place too often because at $2 to the £1 its some simple math for everyone to work out, its got nothing to do with what you know or how long R4 etc its about keeping money from your pay check and about us not getting you guys upset and millitant.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar