Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Out of school, where to start?

Out of school, where to start?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Out of school, where to start?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Steve
    Participant

Dude,
    Seriously, finishing your training and getting some sort of certification is priorirty number 1! Then establish contacts with guys who are in the industry and heavilly known. Then start thinking about trying to get into the game. Do work experience in relative fields such as hydraulics or electronics.
    Your not going to get your foot in the door by just putting your name out there if you have nothing to back it up with.

I’m 22, barely hanging in there, trade behind me and there are plenty more guys who are still smarter and more qualified than me and they are waiting at home for the next email/phone call.

Automotive engineering…finish it off dude.
    Seriously take on the opinions from those in this forum, they know well.

Good luck dude

I agree

Savante
    Participant

yeah, sorry I was thinking about the small eyeball vehicle market.

flash
    Participant

Hey Smokie,
    I must say there is some good advice being given to you on this site,dont let it go to waste!!!!

As Savante quoted: Ears,eyes open,mouth shut!!!!
    & my advice to add to this: Always find things to do,if you can improve on your first attemt do it again.Do not rush things,seek advice & understand what it is you are to achieve.

All the best

backeyeburner
    Participant

I agree with rayshields buddy, you may well find it difficult. Most of the guys have electrical/electronics or mechanical/hydraulic tickets and are time served. But that doesnt mean you shouldnt try. With the current boom some companys are lowering the degree of qualifications or experience people having. Example in the old days thet demanded an HNC/HND, but now seem happy with City and Guilds or BTEC. A certificate of apprentship is the golden ticket, have one of them in a relevant discipline and your in.

Smokie
    Participant

Thanks for all the advice, I will take it all in to consideration.

After a bit more thought and research I think I’ll have a good idea how I’m going to start, will be in touch to let you how I get on.

Cheers
    Smokie

tiger1969
    Participant

😕 😕

G’Day Smokie

Well mate I must admit you have copped a lot of ear bashing and the thing is well they are right. I have been in the Navy for 20+ years with Aviation Mech for the last 8 and I don’t know if I will even make it in to the ROV fold. Yes I am doing a course at Fremantle at $8400 AUD but even then you need to have at least 3 years in either Hydraulics, Electronics or Electrical to even get a look in for it. So as you can see 12 months probably won’t cut it. Also have you been to sea for a LOOONG period of time no intenet or contact with the outside world. Do you know your way around any type of vessel/ ship?
    You say that you can wait a couple of years maybe joining the Navy would work if you get a trade out of it but that also takes more time. But dude this field is only going to get bigger and better so now everything is up to you.

cheers

ravi
    Participant

y do u wana come into hell, since there r n -nos. of options available globaly 👿

Savante
    Participant

Go do survey – there’s a huge glut of requirement for surveyors and stuff at the moment. Pay is higher than rov pilots at the moment.

375/day GBP. No grease, oil, cold rain, sitting in a desk watching tvs all day long…..

cross training from pilot tech shouldn’t be that difficult eh?? 😆

Ray Shields
    Participant

Pay is higher than rov pilots at the moment.

375/day GBP.

Thought you said it was higher? Pffft ! 😀 😀 😀

Savante
    Participant

pilot tech rates ray, but we’re crap at our jobs though and ugly to boot.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar