Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Owner pilot/techs

Owner pilot/techs

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion Owner pilot/techs

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Lost,

You just keep thinking like that 8)

http://www.ocean-news.com/index.php/home/132-january-february-cover-story

Chief

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Er what 😕

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Guys… I don’t see where this is going.

Chief’s input is pertinent to the thread,

Lostboy
    Your input appears to be trying to get a rise out of people.
    Why take the piss out of other ROV’s just because they happen to be small and designed for a different job?
    BTW? How long have you owned the Tiger you are using for the survey.
    The thread is about owner operators. The task? Make money. Not take pokes about who has a bigger tool!!

Yeah, I put some images up of different sized vehicles but it certainly wasn’t to take the piss, but to demonstrate that different sized ROV’s are required for different situations and that there is a place for small ROV’s offshore when the need arises.

Nowhere on this forum does it say..

‘This website is for people that work offshore with big ROV’s, small ROV operators need not apply or they will have the piss taken out of them’

The site is more geared towards professional operators…. So lets be a bit more professional in our approach eh?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

See PM

DJansen
    Participant

Well I’d like to exclude James from my comment cos I don’t know you personally…

But in my time offshore I have met a shed load of newbies who have been totally sucked in by the whole ROV thang… You know the type.. reads those nasty offshore monthly mags and takes the manuals back to his cabin after shift.. next thing you know the guy has bought some broken down eyeball on fleabay and is dreaming of doing dam surveys in his time off…. 🙄
    If I ahd a pound for every guy I know who has dreamed of sub contracting his elec eyeball as a ‘standby sub’ on a contruction job I’d be retired already.. Yes if you are gonna run it as a serious business it may suceed… If you have the contacts and the experience go for it.. But when you’ve been offshore for a year an dcan barely fly a work class.. owning a pool cleaning sub ain’t gonna make you a fortune… Learn the important stuff first.. get some cash behind you and do it properly… don’t try to run the steptoe and son eyball Co… cos the ROV game is a small world and once someone says your gear is unreliable that’s the end… ( unless your name is Saipem) 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yeah well Bren1986 did say he was thinking along the lines of a Seaeye or Sub Atlantic.
    So Tiger – Falcon or Mohawk as such.
    I recall somewhere a thread about what is considered practical for the type of work you want to do. And Yes I am very biased for good reasons 😀
    As DJansen says ……………… What makes it is Contacts and how much you are willing to invest.
    If you have been in the game some time then contacts should not be a problem then there is the money investment side,liability insurance and Company profile going on to Audits if you should wish to go that far that is.
    So , as this question is quite broad and you have suggested going the Seaeye / Sub Atlantic route , Does that mean you wish to break into the Oil and Gas ? Scientific research , Inshore or others ?
    Do you have your own boat/vessel or ship ?
    Are you close to the Sea or inland ?
    Do you intend on having a business premises or from the garage ?

And forgive me please Chief ’cause i know you have a sensitive side being small 😆 but the next question which is Very relevant is……………….. Buying a Sub Atlantic ROV or Seaeye is expensive but the back-up can just as easily be as much , Spares basic or Away package can mount up so a suggestion there ( and again Very relevant to your orriginal question and my orriginal answer ) If you go down that route try and get someone WITH Experience to tell you what to buy and what not to buy plus help YOU learn and help YOU fly the damm thing or otherwise it will be a very costly , no profit hobby 😯
    Unless of course you have "Loads a money" to burn 😀
    So try and get someone recommended WITH experience 😉
    Believe me , It will make a big difference in your approach and………. Profit margin 😛

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Oh and before any muppets start slagging me off 🙂
    Put your glasses on and read the orriginal question and answers 😀
    Toodle-pip !

Brendan
    Participant

Shit lads, like WTF. Lostboy you drifted off topic from the get go.

Not once did I ask who would I get to help me set anything up!!

So , as this question is quite broad and you have suggested going the Seaeye / Sub Atlantic route , Does that mean you wish to break into the Oil and Gas ? Scientific research , Inshore or others ?
    Do you have your own boat/vessel or ship ?
    Are you close to the Sea or inland ?
    Do you intend on having a business premises or from the garage ?

If I had the means to own a vessel I wouldn’t be asking anyone here about owning an ROV.

I asked the question because it interests me and therefor might be an interest to others as well, I thought the way I worded it meant it might not get slated and get productive replies from experienced guys.

You only have to go to my profile to see that I am a sparks and I don’t pretend to be anything else.

Djansen, most of what you said was good advice but if I had a euro for every time I read one of you guys saying on this forum about trainees HAVING TO READ THE FUCKING MANUAL. I would be retired by now and I am only 23.
    Djansen would you prefer a trainee that is eager and finds the job a novelty both of which may not be long waring off or a trainee that doesn’t give a shit and doesn’t want to be there?
    I would actually like to see your opinion on that!

Safe to say this topic is finished now,ye

Anthony
    Participant

A lot of hostility the lad was asking a question , i know a lot of guys that use VideoRays that work offshore doing inspection work and would you belive it ive even seen VideoRays clean chain links etc etc ! Crazy world ! I Also know that a little VideoRay with a 2 man team comes a big Invoice , Mark my words 😉

Ps. As for asking Bren Do you have your own boat/vessel or ship ?

Lol I’ve got a spare DP Vessel here in the garage im not using if anyone needs it 🙄

Mux

DJansen
    Participant

Djansen, most of what you said was good advice but if I had a euro for every time I read one of you guys saying on this forum about trainees HAVING TO READ THE FUCKING MANUAL. I would be retired by now and I am only 23.
    Djansen would you prefer a trainee that is eager and finds the job a novelty both of which may not be long waring off or a trainee that doesn’t give a shit and doesn’t want to be there?
    I would actually like to see your opinion on that!

Trainees ? Well my preferance would be for the ‘capable, confident and quiet’ type
    Overly keen blokes always remind me of those annoying litte neurotic dogs that keep running around your ankles sniffing everything..
    As for reading the manual.. Nah.. most of the companies technical writing skills leave alot to be desired..There is info in there but it’s usually more like trying to find rocking horse poop. I’m more in favour of checking out the drawings manual.. Least that gives an overview of what to expect and what goes where.. If you ever have time offshore and want a laugh check out Perry’s operations manual and see their ideas on launch and recovery and using a TMS…. Dunno what the new ones are like but the oldies for Scorpion and Challenger were hilarious… I’m more hands on. Usually when it comes to hydraulic/mech stuff sitting in the A/C looking at a manual isn’t gonna fix the problem… (maybe a different story with the squiggly stuff) At some stage you need to get your hands dirty and trace the fault..

Savante
    Participant

I used to laugh at videorays……… but then I was asked to mobilise our inspection system on one. 😆 Back to the point, but these things do seem to get regular work and tend to be owned by individuals. Defnately a little niche there.

(Laser switched on and watched using a second Videoray)

Savante
    Participant

…..

Andy Shiers
    Participant

A sincere apoligies then Bren 8)
    Okay the answer to your orriginal question then…………………… Yes ,there is 8O,
    I also know of two people , One extremely rich who wanted to try the market out and one who mortgaged his house – they both have vessels and they asked the same question as you and now have their own ROVS.
    Age does not come in to it , just the balls to invest in something they did not know anything about. So my last reply is still relevant.

Savante
    Participant

bren, you need to read the responses from the point of view of an obvious counter-question to your original post.

"If you want to do the owner-operator thing, what resources do you have at present, what resources do you want to source, what business model do you intend to follow, what sort of business do you want to chase in order to get your business to be succesful and maximise your profits ?".

Then the points raised become relevant and valid, especially when you talk eyeball instead of micro-rov. Even in this depressed market, the cost of staff has got to be significant and the cost of repairs, reputation damage even more so if you get your business model or personnel wrong.

This is most certainly a conversation that’s been had many many many times before, and I think someone who’s heard it that many times tends to jump straight to the crux of the matter, which whilst good, does rather bring the dreamer back to earth very quickly.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar