Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Poor Agency Rates! (Name & Shame Section!)

Poor Agency Rates! (Name & Shame Section!)

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Poor Agency Rates! (Name & Shame Section!)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Rovned2
    Participant

No-one freelance can turn up on a job and then start complaing about rates.

You took the job- your decision. Don’t winge when you find out you’ve been shafted.

If you aren’t experienced enough to have the contacts to determine the going rate for the region in which you’re working you shouldn’t be there and are just dragging everyone else down.

Ditto for agency choice- if you have experience and are considering freelance you should have enough contacts to find out who to work through and who to avoid.

Subhuman
    Participant

Thanks Rovned2 for the advice.
    So after reading your very informative comment’s perhaps you could enlighten us with some [name and shame].
    Now that we understand the rules of being a good freelancer. You can help steady the playing field when it comes to the day rate. And reduce the amount of moaning when your fellow work mates discover they have been ripped off once again by the unscrupulous agency they are working with.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Lets be clear about this. An agency can only be unscrupulous if a freelance person allows them to be, by taking a job with them under unconfirmed terms and conditions.

Over the years I have only ever worked for agencies that have been around for a while and have a known track record. Go with a new kid on the block and you are wide open to unknowns, non payment for example.

There is not one time that I haven’t been paid my day rate nor had my expenses covered. Once or twice pay has been a bit late and some expenses queried, but in general nothing more than that.

Rovned2
    Participant

I only work North Sea these days and only about 150 days/ year. There’s much less chance of ending up on a bad vessel or job and if I’m not happy I can get home without any drama.

My rate is very job dependant. I won’t go out Supervising on a work class job for less than £540/day (invoice) and will put this up if the job sounds like it might be a ball-ache. Superintendent around the £600 mark.

I’ll take less for small vehicle work as it’s so much easier but never less than £525, again depending on the job.

I work either direct or through a couple of longer-established UK agencies. If working in Norway or Denmark I expect a 20% uplift.

I’ll never complain if someone is on a higher rate, though I have to say it rarely happens. I pitch my rate according to the job. I’d rather go out on a lesser rate for an easy life.

I know there are big rates out in Asia but I don’t want the travel.

I’ve always been paid and never had a conflict with a client or agency. As James said earlier I always use long- established agencies.

Ultimately if the rate isn’t there I’m not going. I’m sure there are people on higher rates and best of luck to them. This how I work and am happy with what I’m getting.

K2
    Participant

Rovned2

Fair play to you. Each to their own.

150 days at £540 = £81000 minus tax and NI gives a take home of £54000.

Guess this is fine if you have no mortgage, young family, a good level of investments and are approaching retirement. Or have a wealthy wife or parents 😆

Those of us with a few years left and mortgages will eventually end up in your situation although effectively throwing away £27k would not be an option to me, I would much prefer to work around Europe to avoid buying MPs new houses, giving money to benefit scroungers and the like 🙄

I work 185-200 days with average income of £115-120k tax free (offshore income). Like you, I am happy with my lot.

I know guys who work 320 days a year, greedy with huge consequences for their families. That is no life. As I say, each to their own but level headed guys draw the line somewhere which is why I have a set days target and mantra ‘family & life before work’.

😉

turtle
    Participant

Just got an email from PSE Recruitment : "Dear —, I have personally head hunted your CV and have been requested to approach you." Well now isn’t that special…I’m anticipating with glee the all-ecompassing full service offer that lies ahead. "Our client has an immediate requirement for a ROV Supervisor, UHD Schilling Robotic, 5 week rotation, starting 1st August in the Congo."

I’ve composed a canned response to the mass cv collectors :
    "Thank you for your offer. There are several other agencies that have applied to represent me to the client for this position. In order to help me make a sound business decision please provide the following info :

What is the maximum day rate net to contractor for this contract that can be offered through your agency?
    What is the minimum percentage of the day rate offered from the client that your agency is willing to accept for services rendered?
    Will you sign an agreement to represent myself to the client as your most qualified and vetted candidate for this position?

Upon favorable review of your response I will agree to having you act as my sole reperesentative in regards to this post. You will receive a packet of my certs, medical, passport scan, updated cv, folder of recent Performance Evaluations, personal and professional references, innoculations, job history matrix, and cover letter specific to this project. Thank you for your consideration."

Nine of ten times there will be no response, but just maybe there will be one who will take the time to make the attempt at customer service. He/she can then prove knowledge of the business and ability to secure a contract by personal effort and performance.

Well, we all must have a dream eh?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

@turtle

I like your style! :tup:

Des_b
    Participant

Nice turtle…..

Lovely reply….. 🙂

Savante
    Participant

One of the most important things I’ve found in addition to the day-rates is the period between invoicing and payment.

In this day and age, companies still fold and during the last slump I got stung for a number of invoices to one company who just simply closed the doors and declared bankruptcy in the Edinburgh gazette. Otherwise undetectable until it was too late, given that there were 30 days invoicing terms; the second months invoices really stung, and me personally probably more from the breach of trust issue.

The only positive I can retrieve is that we managed to secure some of their equipment; but 15p in the pound is not really that great a deal.

Even recently, I have just come off a job where two guys collectively are owed around about 90k GBP for a few months invoices to a company who (until the last minute) gave no notice of cash flow issues; they carried on working on the site oblivious. What’s even more galling is the fact that the company concerned re-emerged later under a different name, but still substantially the same group of people and practically trading under the original name, albeit via a second liability company.

If you want a good agency; a historical reputation for payment is good and there are some who are excellent, but there’s nothing quite so calming, self-affirming, satisfying (other adjectives, or metaphorical illustrations such as "sitting on a beach earning 20%") as seeing your invoices being paid within 7 days and the money in your bank account. So consider the "rate of payment" issue too !!!

Savante
    Participant

I know guys who work 320 days a year, greedy with huge consequences for their families. That is no life. As I say, each to their own but level headed guys draw the line somewhere which is why I have a set days target and mantra ‘family & life before work’.

:tup:

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Well……………… Who was the company Savante ? Give us names !

Savante
    Participant

far too boring and small a world to do that. 🙂

James McLauchlan
    Participant

It’s not a requirement of this thread that posters must name and shame, however, supplying information of somewhat dubious practices is still useful to others as it gives an idea of what to look out for.

That having been said, when you feel you have been royally screwed over naming the company that has erred in their ways might be a good pointer by way of who to avoid.

Please try to be factual though by posting information based on direct experience rather than here-say/third party knowledge.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Sorry James , ………….. I was reading the title 😀

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Sorry James , ………….. I was reading the title 😀

Poor Agency Rates! (Name & Shame Section!)

Maybe the title, which should only really be viewed as a guideline to the topic anyway, is too restrictive. If so, it’ll be my fault then! As is normal for me these days I was nowhere near the winch nor in the workshop so will happily take a hit when it’s due 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 105 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar