Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion RN looking to join the rov world

RN looking to join the rov world

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion RN looking to join the rov world

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    RNDicky
    Participant

🙂 Hi
    I’m looking to leave the RN in the next few years and I’m looking for possible employment in the ROV world civi side. I’ve been in the service for 18yrs to date in the mcm world. I have semi tech skills and have been piloting rov’s for the last 5yrs these include ECS PAP Mk1 & 2 and more recently the seafox. I’m also a qualified advanced slinger and Lifting Equipment Examiner, another skill I have is that I teach ship fire fighting and damage control. What are my chances of finding work with the skills I have now and what do I need to do to make my self more employerable. 😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

Aim for qualifications in the Real World (NVQ/SVQ whatever) in either electrical/electronic or mechanical/hydraulics.

That, along with your experience, would do the trick.

Cabledog
    Participant

Ray,

What exactly is your idea of the Real World????

Be good

Dog

tiger-rov
    Participant

Hi,

The best way in is to just knock on doors, send c/vs and make calls!

I have just started and that’s how i got in, it took 3 months but i got a start in the end 😀

the company i am with are looking for more trainees but i dont know about in 2 years time!

cheers TR.

RNDicky
    Participant

thanks for the advise fellas what’s the rate of pay at the monent? and what routines do you work?

Ray Shields
    Participant

Have a look at http://rovworld.com/docs/rates.html for payrates.

Rates can vary a lot depending on your nationality and where in the world you work.

Trips can be 3 weeks on/off, 4 weeks on/off, 6 weeks on/off 6 weeks on, 3 off, or get home for a day and get a call asking you to go somewhere else straight away!

Its very difficult to specify as theres no such thing as an all encompassing ROV job. Pay, conditions and work routines (as well as types of work) vary quite a lot. Its like trying to define an "Engineers" job and pay.

Savvi
    Participant

Hi Tiger-rov

Could you let me know what company that is, that wants trainees ❓

Thank you

Regards

Ray Shields
    Participant

Savvi,

all the major ROV companies are constantly taking on trainees. Subsea 7, Oceaneering, Acergy, Fugro etc.

However, this does not mean that anyone can get a trainee job. For example, if they take on 8 trainees about 400 people would have applied for those positions. You need to have the relevant technical background, qualifications and experience to stand a chance.

You will always hear of people who have no skills who got a job, but they are the exception and its usually due to them knowing someone or fluke or right place at the right time etc.

Savvi
    Participant

Thx for info Ray

I got a job just after that post in Iran. Man what a place.
    I think I can only go up from there or better conditions. But at least it was a start. Nice people there though.

Regards

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Its very difficult to specify as theres no such thing as an all encompassing ROV job. Pay, conditions and work routines (as well as types of work) vary quite a lot. Its like trying to define an "Engineers" job and pay.

Well put! There is not a normal level of expectation for this job.

Things vary immensely globally when considering conditions, pay, duration of trips etc.

dickiedaviesrn
    Participant

I am due to leave RN in the next year. I am planning on doing my sea survival , i have already got my competent deckhand cert and advanced F/F and ship handling cert. I am willing to do any course that i need to get into the industr . i have been told by numerous sources not to waste my money on ROV courses as any company will rather train me themselves. I am willing to do them if this is a bad dit!!!!!!! Any advice will be most apreciated>

Ray Shields
    Participant

I am due to leave RN in the next year. I am planning on doing my sea survival , i have already got my competent deckhand cert and advanced F/F and ship handling cert. I am willing to do any course that i need to get into the industr . i have been told by numerous sources not to waste my money on ROV courses as any company will rather train me themselves. I am willing to do them if this is a bad dit!!!!!!! Any advice will be most apreciated>

Read through all the advice on the threads especially in teh Rookie section, all your questions have been asked manys a time. Read through the FAQs (link over on the left).

ROV pilots do not need fire fighting, deckhand certs or ship handling.

What they need is technical qualifications and/or experience especially in electrical/electronic or hydraulics.

Depending on what you have already, consider any NVQ/SVQs for the above technical skills or if any Armed Forces skills or courses can be turned into a National Certificate equivalent.

If you insist on doing your offshore survival and medical (again you dont really need to as the company taking you on will do it) make sure you do the full survival that covers Norway and Netherlands and not just the North Sea Uk sector. Same for the medical, make sure you get your Norwegian medical at the same time.

If you dont, you will end up having to redo them again anyway so the money would have been wasted and you could use te resettlement money toward technical qualifications which are much more useful.

zaidi_rasmin
    Participant

Hi tiger rov,

I’m looking for the job, man. I had a diploma in mechanical engineering, but I don’t have any experience in ROV. Can you help?

😀

zaidi_rasmin
    Participant

Hi all,
    I’m new here. I always wanted the ROV job. Is there any body who can help me on this?
    ❓ ❓ ❓

tiger-rov
    Participant

Hi M8,

All i can suggest is you knock on doors, make lots of phone calls, go back and knock on the same doors, make even more phone calls….

The company i work for are great, no complaints AT ALL, and they are looking for trainees WITH A GOOD BACKGROUND……..

so get knocking!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar