Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Rookie Ex Forces (Some advice if you please)

Rookie Ex Forces (Some advice if you please)

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Rookie Ex Forces (Some advice if you please)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Bunkerbuster
    Participant

Hi all.

Ive had a good look round the excellant Website/Forum and FAQ and would like to ask some questions if i may about the industry and Job prospects.

A bit of background information….

I’m a serving Vehicle Mechanic (A) in the Army 13 years service.
    Mainly worked on Tanks and Recovery type Vehicles (513’s warrior, CRARRV) All manner of hydraulic Work From cranes to aux Winches and main 100t Plus winches.

Im leaving the forces in november this year and i am very keen to get into the Rov Pilot/Tech side of things.

Im currently Studying for a HNC in mechanical enngineering in my spare time and currently hold a C+G level 2 and 3 in mechanical engineering.

(Thanks if your still reading…… 😀 )

ANYWAY i am looking at doing the ROV training Cse at MTCS Ltd in wnidamere.

This is a 10 day course and will be mostly paid for by the army (Ressetlement programme)

I am also looking at doing my offshore survival course and medical….

Really what im after is the chances of securing a job…?

Is it to ealry to start sending CV’s out to future employees without these courses under my belt…?

Are these courses worth completing…..?

Obvious im well travelled and able to work anywhere in the world….

I hear conflicting reports of how hard work is to come by and if i only know the army with a small ROV course under my belt, will i struggle? who should i be aming my CV predominatly?

Is agency a good way to get my foot in the door?

Anyway thanks for taking the time to read this bumff………I apologise now for the spelling and grammer and i do use forums.

DONT RIP INTO A NEWBIE………… 😀

Ta.

Savante
    Participant

the meat-grinder is being wound up to speed as we speak…… 😆

definately get that bosiet under your belt and then go march into everyone’s office and ask for a job directly.

you’ll find it difficult to get a job with an agency until you’ve got a couple of months under your belt -best to get in on the ground floor running with an actual rov operator.

goodio luckio – go read the newbie section.

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

Thanks for the advice……..(Newbie Pah!)

Is it worth doing this 10 day Course at MTCS ltd…..as the other course’s i have read about on here are weeks rather than days.

Im deffo going to do the survival and medical Probably at Fleetwood.

Then i guess its just hammering my CV out to the Big players.

As im not out till Nov/dec is it worth hammering them out now?

With my hyd/Mechanical Background am i employable….?

Thanks for the response…… 😮

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

Having a look around the forum (nice colours BTW) it seems there is abit of animosity Towards Ex forces.

I have my own reasons for leaving mostly because im not getting the ‘Hands on’ Trade side of things as i move slowly up the ladder.

Id prefer to be grafting on a 12 hour shift that sat behind a desk 24/7

Oh and the goverments policys stink………… 😀 😀 But thats a different story.

Anyway any further advice is greatly appreciated…..I will be giving my all to get this job.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

The industry is real busy with, what?, 104.00 USD/bbl… Plug on, be patient with some of us plonkers on the site, and good luck.

reg
    Participant

possibly global marine training will give you more useful grounding.

They have PSSL and seaeye saab equipment plus good simulators.

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

possibly global marine training will give you more useful grounding.

They have PSSL and seaeye saab equipment plus good simulators.

Are you on about these boys………….??

http://www.globalmarinesystems.com/subseatraining/

the 3 weeks Course looks a little better than the 10 day course at MTCS.

They seem a very good company (But dont they all)

Will have to find out costings and if i can get Funding through this bunch of muppets. (the army i mean!!)

Thanks for the link……………..(Do you Work for them?…….. 😀 )

Bluewater
    Participant

Bunkerbuster, at least you are/were a real mech! If you were a Betty-Mech, now I doubt I’d give you the steam off my kharra. Drop me a PM or email me at rov@bwoc.ae, and I’ll give you a couple of pointers.

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

Bunkerbuster, at least you are/were a real mech! If you were a Betty-Mech, now I doubt I’d give you the steam off my kharra. Drop me a PM or email me at rov@bwoc.ae, and I’ll give you a couple of pointers.

A’mech’ god i’ll have you know.

E-mither sent………Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Good God not another one….

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

Good God not another one….

Meaning…………..?

I cant be arsed to give any advice because there has been loads before him and loads after him and i hold some bitter torch?

Are you Man city…..?

Im sorry for posting in the right forum asking Trade related questions and career advice……..

Im sorry i didnt click the link to http://www.Exsquaddies_questions.com on the first page.

Burn me.

Anonymous

Sorry mate.What Im actually getting at is that the industry is getting absolutely flooded with trainees.No disrespect at all to you.There will be a downturn in the ROV industry in the near future regardless of the price of oil,and there will be a glut of people out of work.
    Its a shame that even this website is plagued by trainees looking for work.Do what the rest of us have to do.Buy a plane ticket to Singapore or wherever,knock on doors,get on the phone and find a job.Oh thats too hard isnt it.Its easier to sponge info sitting on your asses surfing the net..

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

Sorry mate…

Thats Ok Im thick skinned

What Im actually getting at is that the industry is getting absolutely flooded with trainees.No disrespect at all to you.There will be a downturn in the ROV industry in the near future regardless of the price of oil,and there will be a glut of people out of work….

So in that case, let the industry go Stale and dont accept any new Trainees with a wealth of knowledge and trade skills, that are hard grafters wanting to do something they have a real passion for…..a bit ostrich head that isnt it………….And if that was your point, did you have to bring your soap box to my thread when i was purely asking for some advice..

Does a ROV legend like you not have his own Uber Rov forum to grind his weapons?

Its a shame that even this website is plagued by trainees looking for work…..

Plauged……? Jesus H christ Its not black death….Have a word with the admin or mods then and get the rats Banned, but if you have had a good look around i would suggest this excellant website is quite good at giving advice to us rats.
    I posted to get some first hand knowledge after having a good look around

Do what the rest of us have to do.Buy a plane ticket to Singapore or wherever,knock on doors,get on the phone and find a job.Oh thats too hard isnt it.Its easier to sponge info sitting on your asses surfing the net..

I will do all that is possible to land this job. I am not sat on my ass as you say i am currently in work….but as they feel the need to make me work in an office i thought i would do some career surfing……That ok with you?

Bluewater
    Participant

I’m not after making enemies or divisions within this forum, but I strongly feel that people should first check the forum index heading under which the comments were posted before flaming folks. If Bunkerbuster had posted this under ‘Technical Discussions’, or ‘Have a laugh! : )’, I too would be miffed that the post was inappropriately placed. Let’s keep this in perspective.
    As it turns out in this case, the trainee is exactly the type that the industry should be welcoming. I fully agree that it has now become de rigueur for poorly qualified individuals to somehow get through the selection process and become trainees. This is creating a lot of tension and frustration within the industry, but let’s not get the tar brush out for all wannabees. 8)

Bunkerbuster
    Participant

but let’s not get the tar brush out for all wannabees. 8)

A good point, Very well made.

I know how to use forums and made sure i posted in the right place…

At the end of the day its all just pixels on a screen anyway.

Did you get my mail BW?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar