Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Rookie ROV/ Global ROV course

Rookie ROV/ Global ROV course

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Rookie ROV/ Global ROV course

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Martin
    Participant

Hi Guy and girls,

I’m Andy and I’m new.
    At the beginning of the year left the army where I was an Armourer/Inspection engineer, I was in the Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers (REME). I’ve used my resettlement to put myself through the ROV course in Portland with Global marine systems which was great! had a blast down there id recommend it to anyone!

Ive passed my BOSIET and my MIST (done through an Irish company Effective off shore) just about to go for my medical soon.

Im here basically to ask as many questions as I can to get some more information from the old and bold 🙂 my first being the one question that’s probably asked by hundreds of wannabees.

"How do I get my foot in the door of the ROV world?"
    "How do I land my first job?"

every job i see advertised seem to want supervisors or guys with hundreds of hours on there books? I have 7 🙂

well thanks for reading my dribble any information at all no matter how trivial will be received with open arms!

Ive attached my CV please feel free to tear it apart!

thanks in advance
    Andy

new_cv_rov_andrew_martin_473.doc
     Filename: new_cv_rov_andrew_martin_473.doc

Download

Andrew Martin
    Participant

So my CV was downloaded 54 times and no one has posted a reply??! 🙁

Black Dog
    Participant

So my CV was downloaded 54 times and no one has posted a reply??! 🙁

Maybe those who downloaded your CV, don’t speak good enough English to be able to answer you? 😉

Andrew Martin
    Participant

well i hope they can read good enough english and get someone to mail me back! 🙂

Paul Bond
    Participant

Hi Andy,
    I have read your CV, just so you get a reply. I am not in a HR or Ops dept. but i am ex REME, who has been working on eyeball ROVs for 17 years now.

It all sounds like the same jargon the Army gave me when i left.

Try and jazz it up and make it stand out from the rest.

Good luck with your search for a start.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Have a read through the How To Layout Your CV FAQ http://www.rovworld.com/faq-14-How+to+layout+your+CV%21.html

It reads as if you have padded it out line by line to make it look more impressive than it is. But Having a City & Guilds 2 in "Working with others" and "improving own learning and performance" is not that impressive sounding.

The first page just doesn’t read right, are these actually the titles of C&G Level 3 courses, or are these armed forces equivalents?

Does your BOISET and Medical cover Denmark and Norway (is it full pan European, or just UK)?

Its a Seaeye Falcon not a SEA Eye.

No-one cares you work out or do snow boarding.

No mention of any electrical/electronic qualifications or experience. 80% of ROV repair and maintenance is electrical/electronic.

Normally I would have deleted the CV off when it was posted – people should never post their CV on open sites, mainly because 1) it has all your personal info, address, phone number, date of birth, this leave you open to identity fraud; and 2) it is not unknown in this business to make CVs up by taking job details from other peoples CVs and making it their own – not any danger in yours as you don’t have any!

It may sound harsh, but you are up against hundreds (or as in one case 1000 people applying for 8 positions) of others with better qualifications and experience.

Also I would not limit your search to ROVs, there are many other jobs offshore (most are also better paid) such as Subsea Engineer which may suit your experience better.

Im sure the many ex Forces people on here will also be able to give advice given their experiences.

Andrew Martin
    Participant

Harsh but fair its what i asked for! :/

Ive not written many CVs before and the army do fill you head with sweetie mice!

looks like il be drafting up another one tonight!

Stuart
    Participant

Have you considered/did you not apply to Global Marine themselves??. They have (or used to) system techs covering the cable side of things as well as plough/ROV. Longish trips but used to be good vessels and properly worldwide. Might be a slighly easier entry and would give you relevant experience.

Andrew Martin
    Participant

thanks for the help guys and for the mail… believe me its all getting used i have re written my CV and hopfully gonna get it out to a few companies tonight!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar