Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner rov courses

rov courses

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner rov courses

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    nelson69
    Participant

hows it going people

Im am on second week of the course at fortwilliam and enjoying it very much.The instructors are great guys with years of expierence in the industry they have been there and done pretty much everything , so they are a hive of helpfull tips.
    The way that they teach the class is very good aswell.
    Some parts of the course will be lots to take in but the instructors are there to help even at night after classes and when you complete the course they want you to keep intouch.
    You also get to fly a seaeye falcon in real conditions working in teams they try to make it real as possible , giving you tasks to do aslo ensure you know where your rov is in the water at all times.
    I could talk all day about the course and i am only on my second week.

Mick
    Participant

Hi Nelson
    I am booked on the seven week course in July. My concern is I have to sell my soul to the devil to get the funds needed. Hearing many different things about courses. What sort of vibe are you getting about life after the course, is the course gonna pay of do you think. Whats your background do you have any previuos mechanical or electrical. Sorry for al the questions just trying to do some research before I jump in.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hi Nelson
    I am booked on the seven week course in July. My concern is I have to sell my soul to the devil to get the funds needed. Hearing many different things about courses. What sort of vibe are you getting about life after the course, is the course gonna pay of do you think. Whats your background do you have any previuos mechanical or electrical. Sorry for al the questions just trying to do some research before I jump in.

Mick, to be brutally honest, if you do not already have a technical background, the course will be a waste of your soul 🙂

In the company I work for, the very first thinh that is looked for on a CV is technical qualifications/background/experience. If that is not there, it goes straight in the NO pile.

The advantage would be if you have the technical stuff the same as several hundred others but you have done the course, that may sway a bit in your favour.

Unfortunately, lots of training companies make people assume once they have done their course, they will walk into a job – it very rarely happens.

rover37
    Participant

Hi Ray
    What you say should be correct but unfortunatly it isnt.
    Some of the trainees hired in the last twelve months have virtually no relevant qualifications or even worse no relevant experience. Every trip offshore I seem to spend my time doing basic hydraulic lessons and I mean basic!!!!
    I have no problem with this if the guys want to learn. However some have recently gone a whole trip without asking a single question. I ask myself why bother hiring if the person is not suitable. Hiring for the sake of it is a waste of time.
    I recently worked with a good trainee who on his interview wasnt asked a single technical question!! What is going on??
    It seems to me all a trainee needs to say is ex RAF and they are hired!!
    I agree Fort William is generally a waste of time considering the vast expence involved.

Mick
    Participant

Thanks Ray, The more I read this site, my mind is already swaying to not to do the course. I do have a mechanical backround and have had experience in a variety of mechanical, electrical, basic hydraulics, welding. outboard motors. Worked in the motor trade for several years and have brief experience in Tugs/Dumb barges, stevedoring. I know my way around a workshop, but I have no credentials. Trying to convince someone I have the skills and will to train is the hard part. I am currently applying for any offshore work to show my worth and potential, then try to work my way into yhe rov world. Just trying to find the right path.

rover37
    Participant

Mick,
    If you have a genuine mechanical background plus a basic knowledge of hydraulics give it a go. you are more qualified than some. Forget the sparky bits for now. That will come with time and unless you re qualified leave it to the experts. 3000 volts is dangerous stuff and must be left alone unless you know what you are doing.
    Keep pluging aweay with the CV,phone calls and e mails. You will get interviews.

Mick
    Participant

Cheers Rover37
    A bit of positiveness from guys who are in the industry is always good. Been applying for all kinds at the moment, getting square eyes from sitting in front of com. Don’t get many acknowledgements to my c.v and letters only the odd reply off thanks but no. I know I have what it takes, persistance is the key.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar