Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Courses

ROV Courses

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Courses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Steve Campbell
    Participant

Hey Guys

New Guy here. Firstly having read all the posts, I would like to say this site is great and informative.

Have decided to leave the forces after 16 years and move into ROV work. I believe I have all the skills and requirements to be successful in this venture. Dont want to be big headed so have decided to find out as much as I can. Now all these forums have said that to pay for a course is inadvisible. I am looking at the Underwater Centre because I can utilise funds from my present employers to complete this. I already have a sound background in Electrical, Mechanical, Electronics and Hydraulics. Firstly am I doing the right thing? I dont want to use my own dosh and am only considering this course because I wont be paying for it. Have sort of figured out who the main players are but would like any advice from anyone on the most beneficial path to take.

So guys I am your hands and would welcome any sound advice.

Many thanks for your time

Stevie C…….. 😮

SpearROV
    Participant

I will be your head 😀
    Send your C.V to all the ROV companies , If they are in need of someone then they will ask you for an interview.
    If you have the interview and they do not employ you
    ………………….Look for a different vocation.
    If they do not need someone then they will not ask you for an interview……….look for a different vocation.
    Just because you spent the money on a course does not mean you will get a job.
    There are too many money grabbing shitehawks telling you that going on a course will enlighten you to a better life !
    Realistically this is not so.
    You either get the job because your C of V looks impressive or they are in desperate need of a Bum . The ROV course is a waste of space , most of the instructors are burned out or people that were bloody useless offshore anyway and are still trying to make a living at what they do not know as they cannot get a job elsewhere 😛
    The course that you SHOULD go on would be taught to you by the company concerned and you get a little certificate stating that you are qualified to be a Sparkey tech or Oil Tech or a Pilot of outstanding ability 😯 to a particular vehicle they operate within their fleet .
    🙂
    I hope you take this as sound advice 😀
    Go for it and good luck .
    Ps
    Don’t bother going through an agency , you are not experienced enough and I would not employ you 😕

LukeD
    Participant

That was a bit harsh 😕
    But admittedly Brutally honest 😯
    Good luck in the job finding steviec 😀

Steve Campbell
    Participant

Thanks Guys

Great advice….dont take the course. So how are ex-forces personnel looked on within the ROV community? Who are the best companies to approach? Ive got a few friends in the ROV business and they say its great. I dont want to be one of these guys who think just because they have certain skills that they can jump straight in. I have at least 18 months until I leave and would appreciate sound advice. Is it worth doing a couple of refresher courses in the engineering disciplines I already have. I have an HNC in Plant Engineering(Electro-mechanical). Does anyone know of a good company that does C.V’s specifically for this industry. Again many thanks guys.

Stevie C.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Electronic / Electrical engineers are sort after mate , so , get those type of qualifications and ya canna go wrong laddie 😀

luckyjim37
    Participant

I did exactly what you are/were thinking of doing. The industry is busy and if you want to use up all of your re-settlement budget up the ROV course is a great way to do it. Also it may put you off the ROV game and allow you to look elswhere.

The other replies are right in some ways. Yes the courses do not make you a superstar pilot but they do give you a little bit more of an insight into the industry rather than you coming accross completely green.

Also you should directly contact as many companies as you possibly can as soon as possible. There are many mentioned on this site and also try the IMCA website. It is however in my opinion contacting the agencies as well you just might get a foot in somewhere by doing so. I got offshore first with an agency over the christmas period. Sometimes a body in a seat is all they want.

The industry is screaming for people and ex services (especially ex-RN, gods gift to offshore) tend to get on well within the industry.

The hardest thing for a lot of ex senior NCO’s is learning to be a trainee again. Making the tea cleaning the workshop etc.

However from a lifestyle point of view the money is good the time off is better than the services and the food is normally better.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I don’t know about gods gift 😕

LukeD
    Participant

The only Services people I have come across were oversized big mouthed know it alls "When I’s" 😀

Steve Campbell
    Participant

Well guys……..thanks for the info.

Tea, I can make tea, clean etc etc……. 😛

Which agencies are the best ones to approach? Ive still got 18 months left, is now a good time to approach all of these companies? Again many thanks and if I definetly meet any of ya……….I’ll get the wets in……. 😀

TheBaron
    Participant

Hi Stevie C,

Which agencies are the best ones to approach?

Agencies? You were advised a few posts previous(quite rightly) to stay away from them until you have a year or two under your belt.

Does anyone know of a good company that does C.V’s specifically for this industry.[sic]

CV’s, you are the best person to do this(maybe with a little help from the Education Centre at your posting), because once you start letting other people do it; the bullshit starts to pile up. Your CV should be your CV. Shows whether or not you can write for a start. Once you get your first trip under your belt you can then start a 5-7 column spreadsheet detailing date, client, ROV, position, vessel/installation etc. You will have to carry your CV around for a couple of years until your ROV work summary spreadsheet has grown to at least 15 rows, or so, then you can file the CV.

Use your resettlement entitlement to do something fun, and NOT an ROV course. Having a HNC is good enough to bypass that little money spinner!

Lastly, get used to the detractors. Some people just don’t like a challenge. Nothing wrong with that….I suppose! 🙁

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Yeah 😀

luckyjim37
    Participant

With 18 months left to go I would definetly start to ensure that all of your qualifications are recognized in civi street. When I left the navy I suddenly realised none of my training was recognized in the real world due to branch amalgamations had gone through prior to the training being re-affilited with the NVQ system.

I would start sending out C.V.’s with six to nine months left. The industry is busy at the moment and as such the ops managers are being bombarded with applications. To this end you need to give it a little time for processing but not to much time to be forgotten about.

If you have any oppo’s who have left ahead of you and started in this industry see if they can put your C.V. in on your behalf or ask if you can drop there name when sending in a C.V. to there company. This always helps as there is a little bit of an old boys school around the industry.

Flybywire
    Participant

Hi mate. I hear these (maybe valid for the UK) viewpoints all the time from all the ‘old hands’ regarding ROV courses….If the RN is paying for the course, just do it mate. My company (in Australia) see these ‘intro to ROV’ courses as evidence of a real commitment by you to kick off in the industry. All our recent trainees are hand picked directly from a course which is run in Fremantle. The course is basic as, but it at least gives you a bit of an insight, plus covers all the necessary offshore safety and helicopter underwater escape training essentials. Hope this gives you an international point of view – who knows where your ROV career might take you 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I forgot the Australian contingent StevieC 😀
    That’s a bloody good idea Flybywire ,
    Send your C of V to the Australian ROV companies , You will be able to beat the pants off the local competition with your qulifications 😀

Steve Campbell
    Participant

Thanks Lostboy & Flybywire

Would you mind at all listing some Australian Companies to target. It would be a great help. And to everyone of you who has replied to my post, many thanks for your time & patience.

Stevie C.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar