Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion ROV Job Australia

ROV Job Australia

Home Forums ROV ROV Employment Discussion ROV Job Australia

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

…I can’t see a recruiter claiming £200p/d and thinking he can get away with it?

In the main I feel you are correct.

Micbeth
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback Andy.

I agree with James, in the main I think any agency trying it on will get found out in the end, but I also think it is not in the best long term interests of an agency to present way below par rates on behalf of a client. Despite what people in offices think most of us people at the other end of the information chain are not stupid and we nearly always know when we are being misled or taken advantage of. If I had a dollar for every time I have heard the old saying "How do you know when the ops manager is lying to you, etc. etc" I wouldn’t need to work offshore anymore.

liddelljohn
    Participant

Hi Micbeth.

I’m sure you’re right, in my experience there’s nothing stopping an agency from quoting a charge rate, and paying the contractor what they’re looking for. I personally think, that this is not only dishonest, but surely has a tendency to backfire

As for that £200 that magically appeared, it could be either the client being a bit cheeky, or the recruiter taking the michael, – difficult to say, but my money’s on the client, I can’t see a recruiter claiming £200p/d and thinking he can get away with it?

in my old telecoms days a job might be offered by client companies to agency at say £38 an hour for a senior tech the agencies usually skimmed between 18-20% for themselves which meant i would get £28-£30 an hour which was fair as the agency had heavy overheads and had to pay me weekly but often got paid by companies monthly or worse so the agencies had to have excellent credit ratings and cash flow to make a living and profit. The problem was some agencies got greedy and tied offering £18 an hour or less so increasing the margin to 50% some even managed more Manpower was infamous for margins of 60% Then the agencies slowly forced the rate down as they screwed us and each other eventually killing themselves and driving all the good guys out of the industry.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Liddle,

Fair??? Hell no!!! Heavy overheads??? More like fat cats’ greed!!! If anything, they only deserve 2 – 3 %.

Micbeth
    Participant

If anything, they only deserve 2 – 3 %.

I am not entirely in agreement with you there.
    I think the old saying pay peanuts, get monkeys is just as valid with agencies too.

If I am getting a day rate consistent with historical precedents and the agency is providing good service with things like prompt payment, passing on all the facts about the job I am going to, passing on local agent’s details, passing on all flight booking details so that I can do prior online check-ins, giving me adequate lead time notice for the job, etc, then I don’t care what they are making on top of what they are paying me. If I am happy and they are making a decent wedge on top, then I am more likely to get regular work offers from them too.

We all have the right to make a decent living if earned in a fair manner, no matter where we fit in the food chain of this business.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Still….. there’s more that don’t deserve it than not….. I would much prefer the dosh to come my way.

Rick Geddes
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    My name is Rick Geddes and I am endeavouring to my head wet in this industry. I have come from 16 years within the Mine warfare world with the Oz navy. I have had exposure with a number vehilcles i.e. Sutec Double eagle Phantom IV etc,

What I am after is some advice for getting a start in the game?

Any tips or advice would be great

Kind Regards

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    My name is Rick Geddes and I am endeavouring to my head wet in this industry. I have come from 16 years within the Mine warfare world with the Oz navy. I have had exposure with a number vehilcles i.e. Sutec Double eagle Phantom IV etc,

Kind Regards

Ricko,

Before you get a barrage of not-too-polite replies, read the entire forum first… seriously, the entire forum…. before asking the above question. THEN, make a decision. It’s all here and been said before.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Kind Regards

Ricko,

Before you get a barrage of not-too-polite replies, read the entire forum first… seriously, the entire forum…. before asking the above question. THEN, make a decision. It’s all here and been said before.

Scott

Very well (and politely) put :tup:

Ricko

Scott has a valid point. We see this question over and over and yet the answers are already in the forum under (say) Rookie corner and the FAQ section. You might also wish to try a search using our tailored (Search ROVworld) Google search engine too. Look for the search box to the top left of this page.

Good luck!

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar