Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Next Step

ROV Next Step

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Next Step

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Austin Darcy
    Participant

Hey lads ,
    So I have just returned from my training I have now got MIST & BOSIET and medicals for both UK & Norway my plan is to do the ROV Pilot grade 2 course in the next couple of months or as soon as I get the money together it’s my priority at the minute, for any ROV PILOTS reading this do you think it’s possible to get offshore without this course as a trainee my trade is Electrician with 6 years diving experience??
    Cheers
    Ozzy

Ray Shields
    Participant

It is more than possible. The majority of rov people working offshore have not done any of these rov introduction courses (which is all they are).

The priority is to have an appropriate technical qualification and experience. Your money would be better spent increasing your qualifications in any areas you are weaker at. Hydraulics, fibre optics, fault finding, safety stuff such as risk assessments, manual handling etc.

Companies know people cannot get experience of the job without having the job. They employ people who can repair and maintain the equipment. Learning to operate the equipment happens after you get a start.

Look at the FAQ link on the left at How To Lay out your CV.

Be aware you will be joining thousands of others who are all trying to get the few jobs that ate available. It’s very difficult to get a start despite their being a shortage.

Austin Darcy
    Participant

Thanks Ray , I have chosen the rov industry because of my background in electrical and diving I’d feel you will learn more about the rov’s actually on the job like most types of work, however getting the start ain’t easy! Hydraulic , fault finding etc are theses the courses that most of the rov schools offer or are you talking about collage courses? I do understand that you will not become a pilot after a 2/4 week course

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would suggest college type courses. What you get from most of the schools is nothing more than a taster.

Also, college type courses are nationally recognised and can be useful for ANY job. ROV training schools courses are only useful for ROVs, they are also not nationally recognised, and in many occasions badly thought of (read through the Rookie section for many discussions regarding the schools).

There are too many schools popping up now going on about how there is a shortage and how everyone on their last course is now fully employed. The problem is they are chucking out so many Trainees (and in some cases they try and say they are now "fully qualified" when there is no such qualification as ROV pilot). And with each paying out several thousand pounds for a course, it is a lot of money to get a shiny piece of paper that is worth very little.

gareth henderson
    Participant

I got my trainee position without any ROV course. My interview was more interested in the hands on experience chuck in a hydraulic and electrical schematic test. Being ex-airforce seemed to play a key part also. Most important part is luck. 😕

Roy Simson
    Participant

Thanks RAFtechy you have confirm what for years all the Senior members of this site have been saying . " You Do Not Have To Do A Rov Course to get employment with a Rov Company "

I do hope people will read your reply , Will think again about paying out for one of these courses , As after the course your be joining the other few thousands of trainees looking for employment .

I think before the training schools accept people they should make it very clear that the market is saturated with Rov trainees as I am sure if people knew this they may not have done the course !

Plus almost every week a new school seems to be starting up turning out even more rov guys .

Raptor

Daniel foxley
    Participant

My self included. I managed to get my start without a course due to previous skills and a slice of right place right time luck!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar