Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Pilots course with MTCS

ROV Pilots course with MTCS

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Pilots course with MTCS

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dunc
    Participant

Hi all,

Done a bit of research into the training companies out there and recieved a few emails back with course details etc. One from MTCS comes in at just over £2500 and lasts for 10 days, cheaper and shorter in comparison to FW. They require a CV and technical background as like the others but are, like i say, considerably cheaper.

That begs the question to the standard of training etc, so to that end, if anyone has completed a course with them, i would be gratefull if you could let me know what you thought about it.

Thanks for your imput folks. :tup:

Ray Shields
    Participant

£250 A DAY for an induction course? What are you going to learn in 10 days? Their website says its a 3 week course.

You cannot compare that with a 3 week FW course. They say they are accredited by EMTA (Engineering and Marine Training Authority). Who on earth are they? At least FW’s electronics course gets you a Nationally recognisable award (SVQ/NVQ)

Set up by one of the founders of SubServe. Who will help you get work (i.e. take you on via their Agency and make more money off you once you are "qualified".)

Be interested to hear any experiences from people who have done this course?

High Voltage, High Pressure and Skills Assessors courses as offered by them can all be done through most local colleges to nationally recognisable standards.

Dunc
    Participant

Thanks for the imput Ray.

Seems like an expensive way to read a book. Maybe i’m wrong but thats why i posted this, to get some feedback.

mmmmmmm…..lots more research me thinks.

On a better note, hopefully get some response back from fugro soon, least they acknowledged my cv, granted along with some others but the others have no more trainee positions.

Hurdles are there to be crossed! I’ll just keep on ploddin lol

Anyone want a soon to be out of work Aircraft Engineer gives a shout lol.
    😀

Ray Shields
    Participant

Depends if your CV gets marked with an A, B or C 🙂 Unfortunately Aurelie has a large filing cabinet full of C’s 😉 (thanks but no thanks)

I would highly recommend not doing any courses until you at least hear back from the companies you are applying to.

One guy did the FW course and 2 months later got taken on at Fugro – who then sent him back to do the course at FW! These courses count for very little when applying for jobs.

Dunc
    Participant

ALthough ROV is here i’d like to be, and not adverse to doing other offshore jobs, so the only course am planning on doing is my offshore safety ticket so i can be looked at by most. The advantage i have is the that i have upto £2543 to use from leaving the forces.

Like you say i’d rather be picked up from a company and trained through them. Not for the reasons of not having to pay for it but more for the tie and links to the company.

I’m well trained in NDT using PFD, ultra sonic, magnetic and was a RVA instructor for the Army. So again, some other companies like CAN have expressed an interest. Hard industry to break into but the rewards seem to be worth the struggle. I have no doubts you may see me piloting someday, whenever that day is we’ll just need to wait and see.

Cheers for the advice Ray. 🙂

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ref the survival and medical etc. again normally spending your own money in advance is usually a waste as 99% of companies dont even blink at spending money to get people through them, its just a normal day to day cost to them.

But as you are not paying for it, its not so bad, especially as the survival courses are well booked up in advance these days.

The only other advice I would give is to ensure that your survival course is the FULL one (i.e. 5 day Pan European) which covers UK, Norway and Dutch sectors, and NOT just the Uk sector one. Again, we have had people pay for a survival, join, and then have to be put through the full course again because they just did the Uk one.

Same for the medical, ensure you get a Norwegian medical at the same time so that you are fully covered for work anywhere. The medicals are only now vaild for 2 years no matter what age you are (it used to be it was longer if you were younger)

PaulB
    Participant

One guy did the FW course and 2 months later got taken on at Fugro – who then sent him back to do the course at FW! These courses count for very little when applying for jobs.

Facts please Ray – the person in question did our course and then was taken on by Fugro. Due to an admin error, he was assigned to the new Fugro class of 8 due to attend The Underwater Centre (Fort William) for training. This was spotted by me and his attendance was immediately cancelled (two weeks before he was due to attend).
    Fact – I had been speaking to this person 12 months ago about his desicion to undertake training with us. I referred him to the ROVworld website to read the forums and make up his own mind. I advised the person not to do the Electronics course. He still chose to train with us (ignoring the advice given by a ‘vocal minority’ on this site) and, as you are aware, he was successfull in finding work with Fugro. This is typical of the vast majority of our graduates (about 90 – 95%).
    I can’t answer whether he would have got work anyway, but he had nearly 9 months when he could have been trying.
    As you see, the vast majority of our graduates (about 600 now) never use this site again. Many critisice it for being full of "Trolls" and "male bovine faeces" (their words being less polite than mine).
    The vast majority of our graduates do not take part in the forums here becuase they are busy working (as I am, except for this rainy Saturday) and unfortunately amongst many, myself included, the site has very low credibility. I note this criticism is made again and again by new members.
    Perhaps regular contributors can consider this! The site has a lot of potential for being excellent since it is well laid out and professionally presented. It is however let down by a minority of regular contributors.
    Anyway, well done to the guy in question.

As many of you will see, there is a lot of information and mis-information on this website (that is the nature of anonymous forums) where some people/organisations use such media to discredit any competition for their own purposes.

Paul Bury
    Head of ROV Training & Operations
    The Underwater Centre (Fort William)
    http://www.theunderwatercentre.co.uk
    email; info@theunderwatercentre.co.uk

aquarius
    Participant

The only other advice I would give is to ensure that your survival course is the FULL one (i.e. 5 day Pan European) which covers UK, Norway and Dutch sectors, and NOT just the Uk sector one. Again, we have had people pay for a survival, join, and then have to be put through the full course again because they just did the Uk one.

To Rayshields

I am signed up for a BOSIET course in the near future. Am I buying the the wrong ticket?
    How much am I missing by not taking the Pan European?

K2
    Participant

Aquarius

You’re not necessarily buying the wrong ticket but you will be limiting you’re employability. If you manage to switch to the COET (pan European) you will also need the appropriate medical to go with it, this is the OLF medical. Both course and medical cost slightly more than the BOSIET/ UKOOA but without them you’ll miss lots of work opportunities.

Not sure where you’re doing the course but I found Fleetwood the cheapest, £900 should cover it. Medicals vary wildly too, you’ll be looking at around £150 for the OLF whereas the UKOOA is around £80 and the ENG1 £60.

Look at all the options, you could get all medicals and certification (i do this) or you could go with nothing (yes, you can get offshore with nothing!!). Check out the forums on courses and medicals all the info is there.

Stay safe

😉

SteadyEddie
    Participant

I looked into the mtcs and fort william courses…..got a bit of a shock at the fees for what they were offering, decided against paying thousands and using my leave/holiday days to do it. Got my cv in order and got offered positions from 2 companies, the way I see it is if you’ve got the right experience and qualifications then what do you think these training companies can do for you in a couple of weeks? I don’t think it makes a pick of difference to the employers if you’ve done this course or not….far better to concentrate on your cv and interview skills……
    Interesting to note that when I first started looking into the industry and googled rov, the result that stood out the most was one of the training companies (can’t mind if it were mtcs or fort bill)……become an rov pilot in 3 weeks!…..
    I agree that there is a lot of negativity towards trainees on this site but in general I have found it very informative.

luckyjim37
    Participant

Hi Guys,

On a warm summers day around eight years ago a young and good looking chap mainly me started a course at Subserve. It was an introduction course to the ROV industry and it helped me get a start in what was not the busiest period in the industry.

Unfortunately during the course the man who owned the company had an accident and died. The other major player in the company took it in a new direction and it is now renamed MTCS.

The course I imagine is similar if not the same. It covers all of the generic requirements to introduce you to the industry.

And that is all it is an introduction, a taster and a way of finding out what the industry is about and maybe opening up a door as when you approach companies you have at least expressed an obvious aptitude.

Also it is recognised or at least compliant with the IMCA scheme of competence which most companies like to see these days.

Yes many companies use FW and may put all trainees through these courses.
    But with the greatest respect to all who have inputed into this thread get a grip. Any course or qualification will help when applying for jobs.

Also if you have a full survival and medical then you may well pick up an odd job with an agency which gets your foot in the door.

ENG 1 medicals are handy but working on rigs and vessels in most areas they are not necessary as you are not employed as ships crew therefore you do not need a department of transport medical your normal uk and norwegian medicals normally sufice.

At the end of the day it is your choice but anything is better than nothing when looking for work and do not be put off by people who do not actually have anything to do with candidate selection and work for a company who’s training co-ordinator sends everyone to external courses mainly at Fort William when five years ago the company was capable of running its own courses which were more than suitable for trainees.

Also be aware of training fees agreements as some companies do not have these however some do.

It is your choice at the end of the day but do not take advice from one person. Speak to the training schools try and get contact with companies direct and ask them how they feel about the courses.

Sometimes listening to lower deck lawyers is not the best option.

davemeldrum
    Participant

Hi all,

Done a bit of research into the training companies out there and recieved a few emails back with course details etc. One from MTCS comes in at just over £2500 and lasts for 10 days, cheaper and shorter in comparison to FW. They require a CV and technical background as like the others but are, like i say, considerably cheaper.

That begs the question to the standard of training etc, so to that end, if anyone has completed a course with them, i would be gratefull if you could let me know what you thought about it.

Thanks for your imput folks. :tup:

Hello,
    I did my course a FW but wish i had done it with MTCS.
    The guy you need to speak with is Richard Wharbiton who will put you straight and will ask for your CV to see if you have to correct background for the industry whereas FW just take your money and put you the course.
    MTCS have a competancy scheme that everyone new to the industry must do to move up the ROV ladder.
    I agree with other members that you must have a strong engineering background as its not just about flying and if the system is done then the pressure is on to fix it asp and the client is screaming down the supervisor.
    MTCS is better i think for two reasons,they are screening your CV first to see if you have the background and their competence scheme.
    I have heard of a few lads doing this course and have had trainee positions on finishing the course.
    Good luck and who knows we may be on a job in the future!

luckyjim37
    Participant

Do MTCS still have the NVQ accreditation as they used to have when they were Subserv do not see much reason why that would change.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar