Home Forums General Interesting Websites ROV Supervisors

ROV Supervisors

Home Forums General Interesting Websites ROV Supervisors

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    rovservices
    Participant

Seaeye trained supervisors listing services and info for trainee’s or anyone wishing to join the industry

rovservices
    Participant
    STU
    Participant

Courses are how much to a private individual? Im sorry but the payback to an individual at those rates is just criminal. Its even more criminal that companies would prefer individuals to fork out such an investment and then work for nowt for following 1 or two years.

Could you imagine applying to the Police Force if you had to pay for all your uniform, 20 weeks training and the earn nowt for the next two years. People just wouldnt do it.

Infact, lets all join the army, pay for all our training, pay for all our weapons, travel and then ship off to Iraq to get shot out. Good investment that.

STU
    Participant

Do these companies actually win Investor in People awards?

Lets look at the overall picture here.

If you want to work offshore in ROv they want you have electrical, mecahnical or hydraulics experience. Thats a course that needs to be paid for if its not already your job. You then need to pay all that money for an ROV course. If I had all that money I wouldnt be wanting to spend months away from my family in order to earn money in the first place. I would be having a nice conservatory built on the side of my house or having the wifes ugly mug realtered on an operating table.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I note on their website the say "All our supervisors hold the following qualifications…. ROV Supervisor/Manager (IMCA approved).

I will say this again – IMCA DO NOT APPROVE OR CERTIFY ANYONE!

IMCA produce a set of guidelines. THATS IT. If people write training courses base on these guidelines, that does NOT make it an IMCA certified course.

pictish
    Participant

erm polce/prison/army [if u want gear thats any good]you do pay for some of your equipment and you are pretty much paying for your training as you start on a much lower wage during probation ect it generally takes 2-3 years before u get on a decent wage in police/prison which is what most of that lot do to cover their training.

STU
    Participant

erm polce/prison/army [if u want gear thats any good]you do pay for some of your equipment and you are pretty much paying for your training as you start on a much lower wage during probation ect it generally takes 2-3 years before u get on a decent wage in police/prison which is what most of that lot do to cover their training.

Well Im ex military and Police and the only thing I ever paid for was boots at about 50 quid a pop. You certainly do not have to pay anything between £3500 to £10,000 in order to get into any of these as well.

STU

temp
    Participant

Website does not seem to give much detail about who they are, their background and experience in providing personnel, running an agency/employment business, how long established, financial backing, turnover etc.

Has anyone worked through them, got any info or recommendations to impart?

I’m all for new agencies challenging the dominance of existing players if it keeps them on their toes, but not too sure what advantages ROVServices are offering?

Experienced Seaeye Supervisors and other grades who are already working through one or more of the established agencies, who, as ROVServices website mentions pay higher rates, would need to have some other incentive(s) to work through ROVServices – what these are they don’t seem to make clear on the website.

They mention that with the agencies you have to pay for ‘everything yourself’ (presumably they mean survival refreshers, medicals, grading assessments? etc), does this mean that ROVServices pay for these for you – doesn’t make it clear. These don’t actually add up to much cost anyway when spread over validity period of 3 years or so. I’d rather get a decent rate and pay for refreshers myself.

With established agencies/employment businesses, you can pretty much guarantee you will be paid, usually on time, and have benefits such as free extra insurance cover. These agencies have built up good working relationships and contacts with client companies etc over time. They will generally sort you out 24/7 if you are stuck in the middle of nowhere in the sh*t with no hotel or flight or hirecar etc.

It’s always a bit of a gamble with a start-up agency, as they often suffer from cash-flow problems (as did the established ones when they started up). Not too sure what these are offering – rates seem below average. Is there a need for an outfit concentrating solely on Seaeye guys?

Anyone got any useful info?

temp

TheBaron
    Participant

I’ve always thought that there is a major niche for a ‘Seaeye’ agency, but I’m biased as Seaeye’s are my preferred weapon of choice! However, one glance at the website, and a quick whois search gave me all the information I needed. Plus, the advertised rates need some sort of justification. What benefits are there to subsidise the sub-par offerings. Lifetime family BUPA plan? Full pensions? ISA’s? Swiss bank accounts? 2 months paid leave bi-annually?

stinky-bum
    Participant

That website looks very Micky Mouse to me….. No doubts the company is exactly the same!

rovservices
    Participant

Hello again, firstly let me say we are not an agency, have no on going contracts or anything underhand going on.
    As a company we individualy work through a well know agency, and have no imidiate plans to change that.
    the information provided is from 10 years experience with Seaeye vehicle’s, and started because we were asked by a few friends and soon to be ex military personel about rates of pay and training.
    The way I look at it is if you study hard and keep up with current issues then that makes the job offshore easier and I never have any trouble getting work with any of the big players, I have asked if anyone would like to add their name to our list only because as most of you know its hard to find the right person, and whos availible with work as it is at present.
    so nothing sinister going on, if you dont want to send in your name then thats ok with us.
    I would just like to add as a final note that many forums have a sceptic side of readers who take the defensive approch to everything, our site was only added as a suggestion from a friend.
    Anyway thankyou all for taking time to view it, and yes I know there’s a spelling mistake, ill fix that when I get off this boat.
    Regards
    ROV Services

temp
    Participant

ROVServices

Scepticism often comes from people having bad experiences in the past with agencies etc, such as; not getting paid, getting paid late, turning down other work to stay available for jobs which never happen as the agency didn’t have it in the first place (e.g. they were just bidding for it along with other agencies etc). This is especially common with smaller start-ups.

I was just pointing out that the website doesn’t really make it clear what ROVServices is about, what it’s offering – I thought it was a start-up agency offering to pay for training, refreshers etc . It mentions rates, but if guys will actually be working through another agency then presumably they will negotiate their own rate with them directly (and get a better rate)?

If it is just a group of guys who have worked with each other in the past keeping in touch and maintaining a ‘register of availability’, so that they can recommend other Seaeye guys for jobs when agencies/companies are looking to make up teams, then it seems not a bad idea.

Is this what it is or have I totally misunderstood – as I say, it’s not clear what you are actually about, sorry if I have got wrong end of stick.

temp

rovservices
    Participant

Hi Temp

Thanks for repling, yes we have a current list of mainly Supervisors but some sub Eng and Pilots as well, These have qulifications and have mainly worked on SEAEYE vehicles, all our work is done through a major agent and we get paid 30 days after invoice no problems, if anyone is interested in adding their details to our list Its most welcome, currently with work load as it is none of our listed supervisors are with out work, mind you any supervisor of good standing should not be out of work anyway.
    Once again Thanks.
    Its also a good way for our guys to keep in touch.

As an ex forces man who had great enjoyment in a Parachute team my faverite quote is BLUE SKYS and SOFT LANDINGS, maybe ill add it as a signature.

Once again Thanks

rovservices
    Participant

Just thought of another piece of information for everybody, a lot of big players are now offering retainers to supervisors to stay availible for work, this helps the company keep the guys they want and stops them hanging around for a job to start, we all have been in the situation where we are told the jobs starting in 2 days then it goes on for a week and you have turned down other work.

Might be a good idear for companies to note, its better to pay a slightly lower rate for standby rather than lose the guys you want.

temp
    Participant

ROVservices

Still don’t get what is in it for experienced quality guys. If it’s busy, they should have plenty work on offer anyway. If quiet, how will being on your books help? If the agencies don’t have work during any future quiet periods, are ROVServices any more likely to be able to come up with any?

Your rates seem below average, and people can get paid within 2 weeks of invoice with at least one major agency/employment business (UKPS). PROFFS I think is monthly paid, haven’t worked through them for years. Between them they seem to get the majority of the available Seaeye agency work around and have plenty contacts. Other ones also come up with Seaeye work now and then. If working direct i.e finding your own work from contacts, why bother with a middle-man?

I can see that having an availability list of known experienced Seaeye guys may be handy if you are asked if you know of anyone currently available by an agency or company having trouble finding good guys. But this is effectively a service already provided by existing ‘agencies’, or else happens anyway by guys keeping in touch and asking around.

Can’t see the point in just another layer between company/agency and the offshore guy, presumably taking another cut of the rate. What is the advantage to guys who are able to get work anyway? (and for that matter, what is the advantage to those that are not?) Sorry, I still just don’t get it – enlighten me please!

temp

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar