Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Rov trainee advice please

Rov trainee advice please

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Rov trainee advice please

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Hi, probably a subject that’s been covered before but I’m currently looking to embark on a career change from a gas engineer to an rov technician trainee. I’ve made enquiries and visited the underwater Center, also made enquiries to mtcs to enrol on a rov intensive course but so far haven’t parted with my cash for a course. I’m not entirely sure what if any of my skills will transfer from my current career if any and would be great full of any advice, tips etc on how to get a foot in the door. I’m also trying to find out if its common for trainees to land a job straight away offshore or do you have to gain experience first inland? Also looking into offshore medical and offshore survival courses advice on what’s needed in this area. Many thanks Ben.

Roy Simson
    Participant

Hi BenGman

Welcome to Rov World Forum all the questions you are asking you will find on ROV Rookie Corner under FAQ’s

I will only say this at the moment there are thousands of guys like your self looking for employment in the Rov industry .

Sorry but this question has been asked so many times that I think its best you have a read the FAQ .

Enjoy the forum

Raptor

Ray Shields
    Participant

Yes, a question which is asked at least several times a week 🙂

As suggested read through the FAQ (link over on the left) as well as the Rookie section on here.

Doing an introduction course (for this is all they really are) will at least give you an idea of the rov industry. Some of your skills will be transferrable certainly, companies employ trainees for their technical skills as you cannot learn to become an ROV pilot until you get a job as an ROV Pilot. So they look for people who can repair and maintain the equipment primarily.

I would suggest you maybe look at your electrical, electronic, hydraulic and fibre optic skills and qualifications and your money may be better spent on improving these. This way, if you do not get a job in ROVs you still have qualifications and skills which are useful in other jobs. An ROV course is only applicable for ROV jobs.

Be aware there are a LOT of people trying to get started in ROVs, one course of 8 trainees have over 1300 people apply for example. It is difficult to take on a lot of trainees as there are only so many jobs you can be sent on until experience is built up which is why several hundred just cant be taken on and put to work.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar