Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Training…Another training provider?!?

ROV Training…Another training provider?!?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Training…Another training provider?!?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    beagle
    Participant

Has anyone ever had any dealings with MTCS?
    They train people in the lake district for various offshore roles, primarily ROV’s
    Anyone got any info on them?

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Not sure, but I as far as I remember MTSC is a spin-off of SubServ Pro.

rover22
    Participant

Hi,

Thats it, a spin-off from SUBSERV. SUBSERVPRO was the personnel agency side of the business with SUBSERV being the ROV training & competence management side.

One good thing was their policy of accepting people only with technical backgrounds, not anyone through the door with money to spend like other training schools. The courses they ran were ok, the flying was on a real ROV (an Apache) and a good simulator. It taught the basics at least. One issue was the course was very full, with class sizes sometimes between 12 and 15 people.

ROVER22

beagle
    Participant

Thats good to know…
    I’m already offshore but in the ,….ahem! survey game, I live in the lakes and was looking to enrol on one of their courses to get a heads up….
    I’ve read the forums inside out with regards to wasting of money but my intention is to stay with my firm, we are looking to buy our own ROV’s in the future as we now employ this new seabed 4D node technology in survey operations, as up to now the Subs and pilots are contracted in to place the nodes…
    to give me a better chance of moving into that side I was going to use some spare cash and do the Induction course (10) days
    then maybe my company will send me on the longer more relevent courses. at least I will have had some exposure to ROV operations and hopefully get assigned to the new vessel… coz I’m in India and its shite doing 2D!!!
    and if the wheel comes off in Survey I will have more strings to my bow for any future employer?
    and before you ask I’m Mech/Hydraulic!!
    Thanks all, and any more advice would be great….
    Beagle!

maicoman
    Participant

Just finished course last week, found it pretty good. Instructors knowledgable etc. There were only 3 on the course. My background is electronics HND and Field service for 5 years. Looking for job as we speak. The company seem pretty well connected in the industry. Will let you all know how i get on.

diver
    Participant

Hello Maicoman!!!!!!

Did You step in some job or not?

maicoman
    Participant

Hello Diver!!!
    No job offshore yet.
    Decided now course was a complete waste of time and money! Wish i had found this site before i shelled out £2500!

Luckily i have a reasonable job at the moment until my electronics background might open a door in ROV.

regards

James McLauchlan
    Participant

………… I live in the lakes ………………………

Thanks all, and any more advice would be great….
    Beagle!

Have you tried Rumic (Also known as James Fisher Rumic). They are an agency based in the lakes area? They generally supply the cable game but might have a few openings that may get you closer to your ultimate goal.
    They are running a banner ad on this website for a direct link. If you are local a drive round because a face to face introduction might be worth a shot.

rov_er
    Participant

Hi all,

I saw on MTCS website that they provide ROV short technical courses, I would be interested in following the one on Fibre Optics & Re-terminations.
    Does anybody know if this course is good enough in providing ability to make a fibre optic re-termination?
    It’s a 2 days course and I have some doubt about that…

Thanks

Anonymous

Wouldn’t waste good money on a two day course.

3M have a CD (should also be available online somewhere if you have a poke around) showing how to perform the complete fibre optic re-term procedure.

It should be available on most spreads (assuming you’re working) as it’s usually supplied with the 3m fibre optics kit.

Cheers

Anonymous

BTW, Nexans also have procedures for their umbilicals, which are possibly even better if you are working on a FIMT umbilical.

rov_er
    Participant

hi ozfifer,

thank you for the info.

cheers

Bill Evans
    Participant

rov_er, the previously mentioned resources are quite good but until you have access to the equipment and can practice – you won’t be confident or competent to terminate a fibre.
    A 2 day course should be able to teach you to terminate a fibre – we do terminate (hot melt and pre-polished) and test in 1 day at WAMTC (only 8 students though).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar