Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Training Centre in Cape Town, South Africa

ROV Training Centre in Cape Town, South Africa

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV Training Centre in Cape Town, South Africa

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    rover22
    Participant

Interesting,

By now you no doubt get the idea that what you are offering is not viewed well by any person with reasonable ROV-industry experience.

Unfortunately, the way is clear for businesses to be formed that will prey on the inexperience and mis-informed individuals who do have an interest in becoming ROV operators. They are unfortunately not equipped with the knowledge and insight to judge what it is that is truly on offer, which, in my opinion, is a chance o spend a lot of money to spend some time in the company of an instructor who will present a course and on completion, issue a certificate that will probably bring the student no closer o a job than before paying for and attending the course. Anyone with a good technical background, applying to ROV companies when they are recruiting new starts, will stand a better chance than someone with little or no background, who holds a certificate from a school. Here isthe next truth: new-starts, such as those with the relevant background and no course certificate, or those with self-sponsored course certificate, will only be hired when they are needed. To do a course and be ready to go is mostly taking a very expensive chance. Something that given the present shortage of work for new-starts and experienced guys, is a long-shot.

Lastly, another example of the deceit practiced (apart from the earlier false representation of being IMCA-certified), can you tell me what ROV system you have on your website page? Who manufactured it? I am of the opinion that OSTRAC got it from somewhere and just posted it there to give the impression to others that it is using it for training or something similar. Again, in my opinion, an example of dishonesty and an attempt to portray something other than the truth to possible customers.

I hope that this, and earlier comments, serve to make you aware of why people have a low opinion on your business. I would, with all humility nd respect, recommend that you and your instructor either stick to what you know, or get a few years operational experience in the ROV industry as ROV Pilot/techs on an ROV team before trying to do what you are doing. It may help you to understand your market a bit better if there is indeed any truth to your earlier websites statement that "OSTRAC was formed in March 2007 to satisfy the industry-wide demand for high quality ROV Pilot/Technician training and Continued Professional Development"

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

rover22,

Totally agree, except that doing a course (in addition to having the ‘right’ background) may introduce you to elements in the industry, thus helping top land that first job. It should be emphasised that these courses are not designed to turn you into a ROV PT overnight, but as an introduction to the industry so you’re not acting like a total Numpty first time out.

A lot of the time, it may be who you know and right place, right time, and seems these days,……….. how cheap your willing to prostitute yourself.

I think we’ve given this ‘Training School’ more coverage than it deserves, but excellent work in exposing the ones that mislead (intentional or not) prospective candidates.

Mark McGirr
    Participant

I think rover22 has well and truly put this post to bed.

Robert Black
    Participant

rover22,

It should be emphasised that these courses are not designed to turn you into a ROV PT overnight, but as an introduction to the industry so you’re not acting like a total Numpty first time out.

I think we’ve given this ‘Training School’ more coverage than it deserves, but excellent work in exposing the ones that mislead (intentional or not) prospective candidates.

I would say that three weeks mucking around with a Falcon or other cheap eyeball would still not prepare someone for their first job on an XLS or similar. In fact I would go as far to say, they would look more like a ‘numpty’ as they are still totally unprepared and now look gullible to boot.

In my opinion, ROV Schools are no better than 419 scams.

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

KreuzOps , agreed.

There is no training course that will prepare a Trainee.

Numpties will always be unprepared, the only advantage of an Introductory Course (if it’s marketed as that) is that they might know how to comp up, understand the relevance of air / water checks, some basic ROV, subsea, marine, oil & gas terminology etc. For the non elec or hyd/mech guys, LOTO (lock out tag out) elec, hyd, and also rotating machinery. Basic reterms, dive logging, tooling etc. This sort of thing doesn’t take long to be competent at, but at least they get a ‘heads up’ over someone walking straight off the street.

There may be some decent in-house training provided by some companies, which is probably more beneficial than forking out $1000’s for a private course.

Most likely, some private ROV training schools are better than others, with some out here still inferring accreditation of the actual course, and also graduating Trainees to Pilot Tech level.

JL Schnabel
    Participant

As I am from an ROV background, maybe I could open a school teaching IT/Finance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha : Just add hot water and stir ❗ ❗ ❗ ❗

IT and Finance and ROV : it’s all really just about (making) money : like lot$ preferably : Here’s your ‘diploma’ !

Brilliant : if only it was that easy : just sign on the dotted line (of course after having completed that EFT first!!)

😛 😈 😆 😮 🙂 😀 😯

madddawg
    Participant

KreuzOps , agreed.

There is no training course that will prepare a Trainee.

Numpties will always be unprepared, the only advantage of an Introductory Course (if it’s marketed as that) is that they might know how to comp up, understand the relevance of air / water checks, some basic ROV, subsea, marine, oil & gas terminology etc. For the non elec or hyd/mech guys, LOTO (lock out tag out) elec, hyd, and also rotating machinery. Basic reterms, dive logging, tooling etc. This sort of thing doesn’t take long to be competent at, but at least they get a ‘heads up’ over someone walking straight off the street.

There may be some decent in-house training provided by some companies, which is probably more beneficial than forking out $1000’s for a private course.

Most likely, some private ROV training schools are better than others, with some out here still inferring accreditation of the actual course, and also graduating Trainees to Pilot Tech level.

And taken from another thread , penned by our illustrious webmaster himself:

"To all those thinking of switching to ROV as a job.
    This is a technical trade.
    You should already have technical experience.
    This means time served (as in a good few years) hands on experience in either Electrical/Electronic or Mechanical/Hydraulics.
    Before you even look at an ROV you should be able to tick the aforementioned tech experience box first.
    If not, you may find yourself banging your head against a brick wall one day wondering where your choice of career selection all went wrong!"

I guess the last quote just about sums it up. And would the Trainer at this institution be prepared to put his logbook on the table as reference/witness to his ROV experience? My personal feeling is that there are not many entries in said logbook. Bottom line – Money-making scheme!!

madddawg
    Participant

…and what about manipulator training? For 30k I’d at least like to have a go at a T3/T4 and konw what a Rigmaster 5F is…..

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar