Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV vs Hydro Surveying

ROV vs Hydro Surveying

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner ROV vs Hydro Surveying

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jay
    Participant

Hello !

First I introduce myself, I’m from France, 28yo, graduated from an engineering school in 2009, and operated a career change this year, because I now follow a one year MSc Hydrographic Surveying program, and will be graduated in september 2015.

I made this career change because I wanted to work in an environnment that I love : sea, but wanted to use my engineering skills, so after searching a lot, I found the hydrographic surveying job, which combine the 2 criterias, and that I didn’t know at all, and where I have 0 experience.

Now I discover also the ROV world, which sounds also like something i would like to do.

Now I would like to ask you some questions :

– Would it be possible for me, regarding my background (graduated from IT engineering school + MSc Hydro Surveying soon), to be engaged as a ROV pilot? Or would I need a specific training ?

– I guess my type of background with nice degrees is something that companies valuate. Do you know at what kind of salary I could start for both jobs ? I heard that ROV pays more than hydro survey, is it true ? When I hear numbers like 500$/day, it sounds awesome 🙂

– In terms of fun, which one is more enjoyable in the everyday life ? Which has the more opportunities ? Surveying or ROV ?

– Last question : I will marry to my fiance probably this summer, and will start to think about raising a family, is it a good idea for me to start an offshore career at this moment ? How do you guys handle the fact to being far for the ones you love during extended periods ?

I probably have other questions, but would be really happy to have some answers first 🙂

Sorry for my english, but you know….i’m french ! 🙂
    Cheers

Ray Shields
    Participant

ROVs are machines. They require maintenance and repairing.

These are the skills that you need to have to maintain an ROV, you do not appear to have much in the way of electrical, electronic or hydraulic qualifications or experience.

Degrees are normally not much use for ROVs, do Degrees teach you how to solder, how to rewire? These are skills that are required, not designing things.

There are thousands and thousands of people out there all highly skilled with all the training and experience required to start with ROVs, and they are all struggling to get a start. So the odds of you getting a start are much, much less.

Regarding raising a family, if you wish to work offshore, you can expect to be away for half the year, not the best time to be starting a family…

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The same theme rolls on and on….

You need to be a hands on tech type to be of any use on an ROV system.

You’ll go through a lot of pain and money if you try to get into ROV without at least knowing the difference between a multimeter, a sky hook, and a ring spanner!

Do they call them ring wrenches‘ in North america? 😉

Lacombe
    Participant

Easy, jolly jumper ,easy.

As surveyor you will find more job rather than trainee rov pilot.

But you will swim around rov (usbl, lbl, nav,quinsy , whatever)

in oil and gas or survey.Make your own xp.

So why not mention in your rota that you are intersted in rov .

I have got many exemple of Ensieta or Intechmer guys who actually fly

rov.

Do more research….

and

For the enjoyable……

For the money…..

For the wedding …..

For your accent……

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Not even close James…

Chief

Ray Shields
    Participant

Not even close James…

Chief

Box end wrench, though I thought boxes were square and ring spanners are more octagonal.

But then they spell colour incorrectly too 😀

Jay
    Participant

Easy, jolly jumper ,easy.

As surveyor you will find more job rather than trainee rov pilot.

But you will swim around rov (usbl, lbl, nav,quinsy , whatever)

in oil and gas or survey.Make your own xp.

So why not mention in your rota that you are intersted in rov .

I have got many exemple of Ensieta or Intechmer guys who actually fly

rov.

Do more research….

Thanks ! But :

and

For the enjoyable……

For the money…..

For the wedding …..

For your accent……

What do you mean with the dots ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar