Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Schilling master controller Display brightness

Schilling master controller Display brightness

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Schilling master controller Display brightness

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    SewerPipe
    Participant

The display on the master controller where I am currently working is very dim and hard to see. I was wondering if there was a way of adjusting the brightness. I have looked through the schilling manuals and cannot find any mention.

Any help would be greatly apprieciated.

Cheers Sewerpipe

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Don’t know what type of monitor is used, but in case it’s a CRT and there are no options on the outside of the monitor you probably have to adjust this directly on the HV transformer on the inside.

Normally a HV transformer of a CRT monitor has 2 tuning pots: one for contrast and one for brightness.

Otherwise create a ticket at Schillings Help Desk.

matt buxton
    Participant

I think that you should probably read the manual again.

I was reading it the other day and remember seeing something about adjusting the display brightness and viewing angle

just my 2 cents

you can also download the manual in PDF if you don’t have it from schillings website

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

We had to do it a few month back.

ReRead the manual, it’s in there somewhere.

Monkey

Ray Shields
    Participant

Depends on how old your controller is.

Inb the older ones there was an option in the Settings to adjust the viewing angle/contrast.

In the newer ones you have to open the unit (take the 4 allan keys out), take it out of its box, turn it upside down and you will see a small potentiometer, this is what you adjust the contrast with.

Its not a very good design as quite often the contrast will change the longer the unit is switched on/warms up. So sometimes when you switch it on you can read it OK and it gets worse, or you have it so you can only read it after its been on 10 mins!

EDIT – for those of you who have not seen a T3 controller, its a small LCD screen.

Kiwitech
    Participant

Don’t know what type of monitor is used, but in case it’s a CRT and there are no options on the outside of the monitor you probably have to adjust this directly on the HV transformer on the inside.

Normally a HV transformer of a CRT monitor has 2 tuning pots: one for contrast and one for brightness.

Otherwise create a ticket at Schillings Help Desk.

Line output (HV ) transformer normally has 2 adjustments 1 for screen voltage (kinda like a brightness preset) and the other is usually focus

SewerPipe
    Participant

I thankyou all for your assistance

David Stevens
    Participant

Its not a very good design as quite often the contrast will change the longer the unit is switched on/warms up. So sometimes when you switch it on you can read it OK and it gets worse, or you have it so you can only read it after its been on 10 mins!

Also, if you control van is as cold as a meat locker like mine is, it will keep the screen dim due to never really warming up all the way. Other than the previously mentioned viewing angle adjustment, I don’t think there is an actual "brightness" adjustment.

Mr W
    Participant

You can also invert the screen which will give you clear characters in a dark backgound, this will help if your screen is not heating up!

Sit Rep
    Participant

There is a pot for adjusting "viewing angle" on the main pcb in the slave arm. As Schilling in the manual say the readability of the display will vary with climatic conditions i.e. anything unlike Davis, California

RTFM

Col
    Participant

Yup, there’s a little pot inside the master, I don’t think it’s labelled though. Bit of a stupid design. 😯

Sit Rep
    Participant

OOPS, concur it is in the master controller.

The T4 manual clearly shows the pot’s location and procedure.

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Thanks for the information, it was hard to find in the manual…since we did not have one. So downloaded it on the Schilling website, great support.

On the Orion manual(11-068) it is in the Maintenance & Service Section,para 5.1.1 to 5.3

The potentiometer is labelled and is just on the bottom lower left corner when you flip up the Master Controller PCB (be careful on the grounding strap). Here is a photo of it.

Thanks for the tips guys!

lcd_adjustment_pot_117.jpg
    lcd_adjustment_pot_117.jpg

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar