Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training schools ?????????!!!!!!????????

schools ?????????!!!!!!????????

Home Forums ROV ROV Industry Vocational Training schools ?????????!!!!!!????????

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    fundiver
    Participant

hello
    i don t know much about rov industry but it s quite hard to get some information about the job the school at least in france, i ve nothing to do with this industry, i m a diving instructor but it seems to me really interresting so if someone can help me a little with where are the good school in europe ? which one are really bad that i should escape and where i can get some more information about this job…
    from what i red in this forum it seems really hard to get a job without experience so it s probably important to have the best diploma from the best school to hope having a job?
    thanks a lot for the people who will answer i m really lost………

sam
    Participant

Fundiver
    as i did several months ago you should browse the forum and google some key words, i got plenty of informations doing so

Good luck
    exo

sam
    Participant

oh and maybe start with the FAQ

Pierre COLIN
    Participant

Fundiver
    exo is right.Look at the differents subject in this website,there are plenty of useful informations.You can try this http://www.ronsrovlinks.nl another website which is interesting as well.To get into rov is better to have a HNC or HND(Bac pro or BTS in France) in electronics or/and mechs,and Hydraulics or if you are experienced in maintenance.Don’t spend your dough in a rov course in whatever school like me (wasted money!!!)
    Good luck!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Fundiver and Exo,

you really need practical experience i electrical and or hydraulics for a start in ROVs. Pieces of paper will NOT get you a job.

Most companies do not want to train you to be a technician (I refuse to use the word Engineers as there are very few PROPER Engineers offshore nowadays) they want technicians that they can teach about their equipment.

You both seem to be coming from diving backgrounds. Many people seem to thing diving is relevant to ROV work but Im afraid it is not. To operate and maintain ROVs you have to be technically qualified AND experienced in electrical and/or hydraulics. You dont work in the water, thats what the ROvs for.

I realise that some ex divers have experience of the operations that are carried out offshore which will help a bit but without the technical background they will get nowhere.

Many schools will try and sell you their course and tell you if you do their course you will automatically get a job offshore, its not true. They only want your money. To be fair, some of the schools DO give you a good understanding and also flying experience (and some will just rip you off), and it might help, but on its own it will not get you a job.

You do need to have the relevant technical experience and bacground first.

TheBaron
    Participant

You saved me a quick rant there Ray! I think, looking at some of Exo’s posts, he has mentioned that he will be pursuing some kind of background technical experience in the meantime. Plus, even though he’s from south of THE ENGLISH CHANNEL, he seems like a good egg.

ROV_Monkey
    Participant

you really need practical experience i electrical and or hydraulics for a start in ROVs. Pieces of paper will NOT get you a job.

Most companies do not want to train you to be a technician (I refuse to use the word Engineers as there are very few PROPER Engineers offshore nowadays) they want technicians that they can teach about their equipment.

You both seem to be coming from diving backgrounds. Many people seem to thing diving is relevant to ROV work but Im afraid it is not. To operate and maintain ROVs you have to be technically qualified AND experienced in electrical and/or hydraulics. You dont work in the water, thats what the ROvs for.

I realise that some ex divers have experience of the operations that are carried out offshore which will help a bit but without the technical background they will get nowhere.

Ray,
    Agree 100 %. We’re gagging for techs / Sub Eng at the minute. We need people with the TECHNICAL background not the operational, we have enough ex Divers on the bridge trying to tell us how to do the job already without another one in the shack.

The Monkey

ROV_VALLEY_COMMANDO
    Participant

Ray, do you class yourself as an engineer?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

What you said Ray , I completely agree with 🙂
    I class myself as A subsea Engineer eXplorer 🙂
    S.E.X for short 😀
    Or a Pilot in Subsea Scientific Thermodynanics And kinetic Exploration

Cabledog
    Participant

Lostboy,

You should put some copyright on that before some one pinches it on you 😆

Dog

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Alas , 🙁 all good things are exploited by the masses 😕
    Grievance aside , I hope to start up my own group , secret signs an’ all
    The elite of elites 😀

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Alas , 🙁 all good things are exploited by the masses 😕
    Grievance aside , I hope to start up my own group , secret signs an’ all
    The elite of elites 😀

Lost,

Sounds good as long as there’s no Purple 😕 and no circles 😉 involved or used in the Logos, flags, flashy name – cards, and / or adverts….. 8)

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray, do you class yourself as an engineer?

Me? Nope, I’m a technician. There are very few Engineers about these days. I dont care what the latest specification to call yourself an Engineer is (I think if your a member of the IEE or summat counts). Its back to the old argument of "a Degree nowadays isnt worth the same as a Degree 10 years ago" etc.

I was in the IEEIE for a while and had the title Eng Tech.

To me a "proper" engineer can design and build things from scratch, fault find and repair things right down to component level, has done a proper old fashined apprenticeship and maybe has a Degree. I can do some of those things but I would not consider myself an Engineer.

Take for example the washing machine "engineers" or telecom "engineers". Are they really Engineers?? Not the ones I have seen.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Oh, and the font of all knowledge and made up truths, Wikipedia, defines an engineer as

An engineer is someone who is trained or professionally engaged in a branch of engineering.[1] Engineers use technology, mathematics, and scientific knowledge to solve practical problems. People who work as engineers typically have an academic degree (or equivalent work experience) in one of the engineering disciplines.

and

In Britain, the term ‘engineer’ is often used to describe a technician or a person that mends and operates machinery. (This in contrast to mainland Europe, where engineering is seen as comparable to other professions such as medicine and architecture.) Professional engineers registered with the Engineering Council UK have the exclusive right to the titles Chartered Engineer and Incorporated Engineer. These titles are only awarded after a rigorous formation including higher education, training and experience.

Again, depends on where you are in the world what defines an Engineer. I wouldnt agree that you have to jon a "club" such as IEE or one of the Engineering ones, but you should meet the same criteria.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

City and Guilds – Diploma with apprentiship any good Ray ? 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar