Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions seaeye tethers

seaeye tethers

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions seaeye tethers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Andy Shiers
    Participant

Over the years certain format tethers have come out to systems that have manufacturing kinks in them.
    I am on a system at the mo’ which has had a bad batch ! 😯
    Has anybody else come across a seaeye tether….. I.d # 5601/23 which has this ?
    The usual headache …… Outer wires ( namely DC wires ) kinked 😕
    After unspooling said tether , noticed slight bulge approx’every 200 cm.
    Looked at brand new spooled tether only to find that the bulges are on that one too 🙁 ………….. Same batch I.d number.
    Writings on a postcard 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Trying to keep this thread awake as I’m curious to see whether anybody else has had this problem.
    You don’t really have to send the response on a postcard , That was just a bit of humour 🙂

Savante
    Participant

had an issue with something like this – only real problem evident was that the coax for the video was really poor and kept breaking! Apparently it was a bad batch – entire 2km of soft tether was utter rubbish and the beach were well aware of it. I remember kinks in the surface of the tether (looked like something had twisted inside), but the tether in general didn’t look that hot anyway.

said soft tether was reserved for dt600 and boxer jobs and instead ran the video up twisted pair – bit noisy, but on a short tether (southern north sea) it wasn’t that much of a problem!

you’re not working in land of wooden shoes this time are you???

jetfin
    Participant

Just returned home from a new Lynx system and the tether had precisely those bulges you’re describing Lostboy. Unfortunately I don’t have a serial number though… -we did start having some weird DC problems on the last day for no apparent reason, but didn’t get to explore much as we de-mobbed and hit the beach…

You back on the NH Singapore by any chance?

cheers,

J.

Savante
    Participant

J – was that you I was working with? Think we had DC lim problems too didn’t we too with those tethers? Even after heat gunning the light housings and meggaring the thrusters. Can’t remember what we found actually when we checked the umbilicals though…. don’t have my log book.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Greeeeetings J , 😀
    I am at the mo going home but sort of dragging my feet through Russia 8)
    At present in Moscow sealing Anglo-Russian relations 🙂
    Doing my bit for Blighty 😀
    The seaeye tether 5601/23 is what had the kinks in them.
    Just bare that in mind if you start having problems chaps !

Savante
    Participant

ah, sealing russian relations??

Make sure the sealing is good first !! Probably at least double? You been up in the Sahk? 😆

Do vidanya tovarich !!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I did pass that way 😀
    Quite an interesting experience 😯
    But coming back to techno and prosperity plus lingo 🙂
    What are you up to Savante ?
    Still a ‘Borg’ in the Orifice ?
    aaaagh , What fun ! What bliss ! Paper filing and a phone stuck to ya earhole 😕
    Give me the small Cribb , Diarhea food and a moving deck beneath me feet 🙂
    What joy to sail the seas , explore the depths of ‘Davey Jones’ locker ! Besotted by Mermaids , drinking ‘Grog’ whilst Bedazzling fair maidens in distant lands 😀
    Or sitting on a fishing boat alongside a platform in the North sea 🙄
    ………………Somehow that dosen’t seem to get the old blood pumping with enthuisasim 😕

jetfin
    Participant

J – was that you I was working with? Think we had DC lim problems too didn’t we too with those tethers?

Not sure Savante -i just ran into one of these tethers on my last job which was a jacket installation in the adriatic which ended last week…
    -We *did* have DC lim problems with that tether -switching off DC2 got it stable with only 3 thrusters but we didn’t get much farther in exploration as we had to demob…

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Cut back 10 M , Take the sheath off 5 m to wires and then send it back to the Orifice 🙂

WidgetKidd
    Participant

Theres been a lot of problems with there tethers latley, probably due to the stupid turn around times they have of there systems.
    a lot of the tethers are lumpy, ive just had to cut back and reterm after one survey.
    🙁

mannie
    Participant

Using a seaeye tether on current inspection job – number of 5035 excellent tether
    being used with Cougar system and apart from being attacked by norwegians with a T4 its been pretty reliable
    seem to remember years ago with a Tiger having major issues with the tether and Z kinking put it down to the manufacturing process with the loom of wires being incorrectly laid – gave the PSU a 45 amp headache
    idiot of a project manager suggested we had set the TMS up wrong and this caused the fault – not sure if that particular erse is still working for us

jeffrstevens
    Participant

I’ve been having some DC ground fault issues with a brand new tether. 5601/25. It appears that the tether DC insolation on the conductors is kind of weak. The insulation megger readings are 5 meg or lower at 500V. The LIM units lowest setting is 10 Meg. The spool is brand new. Anyone else have similar issues?

Savante
    Participant

is this a standard bender LIM? What is the part number ? It’s not the IR 475 you’re looking at ??

jeffrstevens
    Participant

The LIM part # is Bender IR 475. The megger unit is a Fluke 1507 Insulation Tester.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar