Home Forums General General Board Should agency hands be supplied free PPE at the worksite?

Should agency hands be supplied free PPE at the worksite?

Home Forums General General Board Should agency hands be supplied free PPE at the worksite?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • Author
    James McLauchlan
    Participant

There was a mention on this subject in the ‘Divers on strike debate’… Looks like it touched a nerve somewhere, mainly with non agency people… so fire away…….

I’m agency, and have been day rate (either agency or direct) since I started offshore. I think we should get free PPE at the worksite.
    I also think the contractor onboard gives coveralls away (as a rule) to stop the client seeing all types of other companies overalls on their job.

So, free PPE…. yes please. :tup:

Ray Shields
    Participant

I would disagree up to a point.

I think Agency should come supplied with their own boots and coveralls. If the Company wishes them to wear the Company logo, then yes they have to supply the coveralls (but then the Agency worker MUST wear them – I have seen ones take the new coveralls but then continue to wear their nice old comfortable ones).

All other PPE, hats, gloves, glasses (except prescription safety glasses, the worker should already have these if he needs them), hearing protection, the Company should supply at the worksite.

I think it is not fair to expect a Company to have to shell out almost £100 each time on what could be a one off Agency guy there for a few days. Apart from the logistics of getting the right size coverall, the right size boots etc.

As I said, boots and coveralls I think the Agency worker should come with, the rest the Company should provide. Whats next, the Company has to pay for his survival, his medical, his passport?

SmallWorld
    Participant

I think the debate over getting free PPE is a non starter .

If someone gets upset over this they are maybe of the female variety 😛

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I was aware of UKPS’s approach to this, but just checked my notes to make sure that I get it right.
    On the standard joining info UKPS say:

Please hand carry with you your:-
    "Personal protective equipment (as a minimum un-badged coveralls, hard hat, safety boots, gloves & safety glasses)"

That’s as a ‘minimum’. Not sure what the maximum might be??

I do carry coveralls.. although often they have a badge/logo from another company on them.
    I do carry safety boots.
    I don’t carry a hard hat with my gear.. there are always plenty around and I always leave what ever hat I use at the jobsite.
    I don’t carry gloves.
    I don’t carry safety glasses.

I have never bought a set of coveralls in my life.
    UKPS do not supply them to the best of my knowledge, nor does any other agency as far as I am aware, so I obtain mine in just the same manner anyone else does, be they an employee or agency.
    Exactly the same happens in the rest of the offshore Industry.

I generally buy my own boots, but have sometime had them supplied on request.

truered
    Participant

lets see if i employed a builder to do some work on my house and he asked me to supply him with boots and gloves and stuff, whats my answer going to be??

been going on far to long now where guys show up needing to blag boots and stuff.

what to do when it happens though?? tell them to stay off shift and not pay them???? that’ll never happen thats why we do what we do and give into them.

rovnumpty
    Participant

Well, seems you’re right about the raw nerve james….

just to add my 2 pounds worth…

When I worked as an agency bod, I always carried PPE with me. Usually the overalls were from another company though, which did put some noses out of joint.

According to the letter of the law, the employer should supply the PPE – that being whichever agency in question. But since most agencies manage to avoid other obligations like paying for safety courses and anything to do with employee tax, PPE is small peanuts.

For employees to get worked up about it….

They’re all (Agencies and companies alike) taking the piss out of us. All bitching about stupid stuff like this gets us is a nicely divided workforce.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Well, seems you’re right about the raw nerve james….

For employees to get worked up about it….

They’re all (Agencies and companies alike) taking the piss out of us. All bitching about stupid stuff like this gets us is a nicely divided workforce.

Bang on…. just I was just wondering how many would rise to the bait
    🙄

Still…judging by the votes, it currently looks like twice as many people think the poor agency guys should get free PPE compared to those that don’t.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

The mecenary goes around the world filling in for blue-eyed girls who want to have holidays and things which means we have to take all our clobber with us from job to job !
    F@*&@!ing heavy ! Not like the blue – eyed girls who take handbags !
    It would be nice to have less weight in the "trunk" by the employer supplying ppe gear ( espeicially boots ) they can alaways have it back at the end of the contract and give it to somebody else ! 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

You’ll have the blue-eyed girls fighting over the gear just as you take off on the helideck 😆
    Pulling hair , kicking and biting 😆
    After several uses , it can then be given to the office so that they can have some dirty overalls hanging in the corner of their office 😀
    It makes them look like they actually do some work 😆

truered
    Participant

don’t buy that one lostboy. company guys still move rig to rig, vessel to vessel and have to take this stuff with them.

if its a choice of blagging a pair of mouldy boots or ripped boiler suits, than carry an extra 20kg’s in my bag, know what i’d do.

but is it the extra wieght the only reason guy’s don’t show up with PPE?

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Na , They just spent it on booze the night before and lost or pawned it

truered
    Participant

or the airlines lose it!!

R2D2
    Participant

Now we’ve got a topic going here … wow … 💡 what about saving cable-ties and duct-tape too? 😯

While you all sqabble about PPE and cable-ties, I’m off to have "Muffdiver" or "UpYours" embroidered on my coveralls … lets see if the client likes that? 😉

James has described his agency’s minimum requirement which is acceptable. The reality is much as he mentions; Most clients prefer that one wears common coloured/logo’d coveralls and hands them out.

R2D2

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Maybe there could be a generic overall type for rate tarts with maybe a logo like
    I’M ONLY HERE FOR THE MONEY

Ray Shields
    Participant

I have never known a Client hand out Overalls – do you mean the Companies that the Agency worker is hired by? The Companies work for the Clients.

If an Agency worker was to turn up and wear overalls with crude messages on it, what do you think would happen – 1) he gets some new coveralls, or 2) he is never used again.

hmm!

Re. saving cable ties. Cutting them just behind the head so you can use them again – I thought that was common sense and had been taught by S Club 7 for years!

PS we are ALL here for the money!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 80 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar