Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Silly offer from Oceaneering

Silly offer from Oceaneering

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Silly offer from Oceaneering

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Jared
    Participant

I see both sides really..

If I were single, without a child, and had little work experience and didn’t already have a job paying $50k+, I’d probably jump on their offer. There are hundreds of people that would take the job and I certainly don’t think I’m better than them. "Silly" will always be subjective.

On the other hand, barely $40k a year? There are plenty of jobs that offer more than that, that aren’t a tenth of involved technically as repairing and operating an underwater vehicle.
    I’m a firm believer in the job market.. The caliber employee is directly related to the amount you offer. And for the work that OI is asking, even as a trainee, it doesn’t seem to me that the pay is on par. Not even close. The knowledge and experience requirements that I’ve seen on ROV job postings are WELL above a $40k employee.

And I just remembered.. They also told me that since they are investing a lot in my training, I would be required to pay back $20K if I left before 2 years. I know the ultimate legallity of that is questionable, but just to even bring it up seems shady to me.
    I think my use of the term silly is an overall feeling from the company in general.

rovredneck
    Participant

Yes, OI GOM offers one of the lowest, if not lowest, rates around. But for someone looking to get into the business and not have to pay for one of the useless ROV Schools out there then its a good idea. Most that make the cut and go on to work offshore and do their required term to repay their schooling will eventually get tired of the offshore life and quit or will move on to greener pastures with experience under their belts and make more money.

What alot of people don’t take into account is that the cost of living is alot cheaper in the U.S., and especially in the Southern U.S. where Oceaneering is located, than it is in the U.K./Europe, so a lower rate here is actually equivalent to most (but not all) rates overseas when you take that into account. It is actually a decent living for the Gulf Coast area in America. A lot better than working construction on land or in the local factories in their home towns. But once they get out into the world, as someone already stated, they start to see that there are other options and opportunities available for them doing the exact same job they are doing in the GOM, but for alot more money! They just have to be willing to travel overseas and risk their heads, eat Fish Head Stew every night, and take the chance of catching some god awful disease. Or they might end up in some tropical paradise…its all up to them and how hungry they are for more. Some will, some wont. I am one of those that wanted more and am thankful for the start I was given but I decided I wanted more for myself and my family once I saw I could be paid double or triple what I was making doing the exact same thing I had been doing for a decade in the G.O.M. I don’t regret the choice I made.

brad
    Participant

What alot of people don’t take into account is that the cost of living is alot cheaper in the U.S., and especially in the Southern U.S. where Oceaneering is located, than it is in the U.K./Europe, so a lower rate here is actually equivalent to most (but not all) rates overseas when you take that into account. It is actually a decent living for the Gulf Coast area in America. A lot better than working construction on land or in the local factories in their home towns. But once they get out into the world, as someone already stated, they start to see that there are other options and opportunities available for them doing the exact same job they are doing in the GOM, but for alot more money! They just have to be willing to travel overseas and risk their heads, eat Fish Head Stew every night, and take the chance of catching some god awful disease. Or they might end up in some tropical paradise…its all up to them and how hungry they are for more. Some will, some wont. I am one of those that wanted more and am thankful for the start I was given but I decided I wanted more for myself and my family once I saw I could be paid double or triple what I was making doing the exact same thing I had been doing for a decade in the G.O.M. I don’t regret the choice I made.

Well put thank you for that insight. Actually that is the thought process me and my wife went through. Besides after 15 years in the military I think world wide is the end goal. Fish head stew ain’t that bad, and the clap is curable.
    😉
    Thanks for all the answers to my silly responses. I know I’m a newbie and I know less than nothing. But asking is how I reckon I’ll get answers.
    Fair winds and following seas
    DOG

Mike McEwan
    Participant

So lets get this right. OI offered to pay while training you then was willing to let you work in the yard until you got a slot. That doesn’t sound that bad to me really. Better than training you and then leaving you sitting at home with zero income. I don’t know if $16.50 is a lot in the gulf or not, but isn’t there 4 hours overtime a day?
    Nothing wrong with working in the base. It is a good way to get experience.

rovredneck
    Participant

Yeah that’s with 4 hrs. O.T. at time and a half everyday. Full offshore rate while working on the yard is a good deal…or at least its a good deal for OI GOM. Once upon a time they only offered 8 hrs. a day at half offshore rate when you had to work in the shop, if they would even let you work in the shop! With a food allowance of about $15 U.S.D. per day! That wasnt even enough to pay for a full grown man sized meal, much less three extra value meals at Mcdonalds! For the most part guys had to just sit on the beach and wait for a call that might not never come for some of them!

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar