Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Some advice to all trainees looking for a start.

Some advice to all trainees looking for a start.

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Some advice to all trainees looking for a start.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    sniperfire
    Participant

I have been watching the ROV/AUV rookie corner for sometime now and the only thing i have learned is that the industry is full of arrogant people. The one post i made all i got was an English lesson….
    Its the same for alot of newbies that make posts on this site, all they get is negative comments and put off joining.
    If they make a stand, they got shot down and alot of them feel like they have to appolgise in fear that if they do make it in they could be given a hard time for the posts they made. Well not this callsign!! Such comments that the ‘OLD HATS’ put on here has not put me off, all that about time away, long hours,hard work really has not put me off. I spend about 9-10 months a year away at the min on tour or courses etc….
    The only thing that has put me off, is the people in the industry ‘The old sweats’.
    I could not work with such narrow minded, two faced individuals.
    i think i will carry on defending my country… peace out

Rovned
    Participant

The reason a lot of people posting for the first time on the site seem to be shot down is because they obviously haven’t taken the time to read through previous posts on topic and are asking the same questions as everyone else.

If you check back you’ll find that the majority of people who’ve been advised against paying a lot of money for courses have no technical background. Others (with qualifications/ experience) have been encouraged and given advice on the best route into the job.

The "old sweats" are the ones who have experience and can see their already increasing workload growing even larger with the advent of new people without any engineering background.

ROV’s are constantly developing, meaning Supervisors are often faced for the first time during a mob or arrival on a vessel with a piece of knackered equipment and told to be ready in x amount of hours. This task is made 10 times harder when you find that your crew have no in-depth technical knowledge or experience of logical fault diagnosis other than a 2 week course.

I would hate to think that someone payed thousands of pounds/ dollars for a course after encouragement from myself only to find themselves unable to get a job.

I agree that some of the posts are unnecessarily critical and at times childish but there are a lot of good people in the industry who contribute to this site.

The choice is ultimately down to the individual after assessing all the information available to them. There will always be the exception to the rule but these are being more quickly weeded out with increasingly keen assessment procedures from employers.

MrSilent
    Participant

RTFF, RTFF and most importantly RTFF.
    β€’ Have any of these instructors got any teacher training qualifications?
    πŸ˜€

Yes some of us really do!

I have been watching the ROV/AUV rookie corner for sometime now and the only thing i have learned is that the industry is full of arrogant people.

I have been watching as well and your a little harsh sniperfire although if you search the member list via number of posts you will discover a relationship between frequency of posts and negative outlook.

The one post i made all i got was an English lesson….

This is actually quite interesting since it seems a lot of people on this forum have forgotten the rule in the use of "AN" its not "an ROV" its "a ROV"

See below:

an? ?[uhn; when stressed an]

The form of a before an initial vowel sound (an arch; an elephant ) and sometimes, esp. in British English, before an initial unstressed syllable beginning with a silent or weakly pronounced h: an historian.

Best of luck defending the country sniperfire.

ROVRatt
    Participant

Mr Silent, how sure are you about it being a ROV and not an ROV? ROV is an abbreviation and is thus correctly pronounced "Ahr Oh Vee". From your definition:

The form of a before an initial vowel sound

The abbreviation ROV falls into this category because "R" is pronounced "Ahr" and "A" is a vowel.

My English teacher, Mrs Evans, would have had you writing 1000 lines by hand.

effinreps
    Participant

Mr Silent,

Interesting riposte. If I were a prospective candidate considering a course, I would be extremely concerned reading this thread.

Of the 9 points raised you have offered rebuttal for 1 sub point, and even that is a cause for concern. "Yes SOME of us actually do".

Take note prospective candidates:- ‘Even the employees of these training schools can not justify their establishments"

MrSilent
    Participant

Mr Silent, how sure are you about it being a ROV and not an ROV? ROV is an abbreviation and is thus correctly pronounced "Ahr Oh Vee". From your definition:

The form of a before an initial vowel sound

The abbreviation ROV falls into this category because "R" is pronounced "Ahr" and "A" is a vowel.

My English teacher, Mrs Evans, would have had you writing 1000 lines by hand.

So its an abbreviation this makes little difference since it is not a weak "H" or a Vowel. However, I see your point in its pronunciation. This line of thought though, would only be correct if you were a Pirate " Ahr Ahr ".

MrSilent
    Participant

Mr Silent,

Interesting riposte. If I were a prospective candidate considering a course, I would be extremely concerned reading this thread.

Of the 9 points raised you have offered rebuttal for 1 sub point, and even that is a cause for concern. "Yes SOME of us actually do".

Take note prospective candidates:- ‘Even the employees of these training schools can not justify their establishments"

Excellent use of the word.

riposte? ?[ri-pohst]

1. a quick, sharp return in speech or action; counterstroke: a brilliant riposte to an insult.
    2. Fencing. a quick thrust given after parrying a lunge.
    –verb (used without object)
    3. to make a riposte.
    4. to reply or retaliate.

However, did I say I was an employee of any school, I think not, just that some instructors do have teaching qualifications that’s all, sorry for the misunderstanding. Although you do seem a bit quick to jump to conclusions, another bad shift ?

effinreps
    Participant

Mr Silent,

No, I had an excellent shift, thank you for asking. We were down on weather, so the other two guys on shift (a former dental technician and an ex Quick-Fit fitter) were very productive putting a new DVD in the player when the film had finished etc.
    I was even able to go for my mid shift meal. πŸ˜€

However, for one who is so fastidious about correcting everyone else’s English and grammar, I suggest you ensure that your own is impeccable first!

Yes some of us really do!

It is not a quantum leap to deduce from your above statement that you are an instructor. If not then I suggest that you look up the meaning of β€˜us’ in the dictionary. Surely the use of the word β€˜them’ would have been more appropriate! πŸ™„ πŸ™„

Everybody has a photographic memory, some people just don’t have the film. πŸ™„

LukeD
    Participant

The only thing that has put me off, is the people in the industry ‘The old sweats’.
    I could not work with such narrow minded, two faced individuals.

πŸ˜†
    I suggest you go somewhere else then πŸ™‚ Maybe a library where it’s all quite πŸ™‚
    For the ROV industry has it all when it comes to personalities πŸ˜€
    If you join it , you will become one of those "Old sweats" in time and if you don’t 8)
    Then you are in the wrong indusrty chum πŸ˜€

James McLauchlan
    Participant

This topic is about advice to trainees looking for a start but it’s beginning to turn into nothing other than a slagging off session.

Either discuss the topic or don’t post.

If you have a problem with someone’s actions in this forum send them a PM or contact forum admin and let us know what the problem is.
    Nit picking on spelling and grammar does nothing other than take the thread off topic.

Anyone abusing other members is breaking forum rules and may have their account deleted without warning.
    When an account is deleted all posts by that person are automatically deleted by the system.
    It will be as if they never joined the forum or posted anything.

If you don’t like any of the rules we have around here you are free to leave.

best regards
    James Mc

cookie
    Participant

Guys i have to say that the attitudes on here from some of you guys are absolutely disgusting, you should know better than that, some of us are Rookies and trying to get on yes, but there is no need to be so cutting with your stupid remarks, you guys must be so dam good at your jobs that’s all i can say…or are you, none of us Rookies would know either way would we really, i personally think that you just like rant off at us….think its called the little man syndrome isn’t it.
    leave the guys alone, if you cannot give them any constructive advice, whether it be constructive criticism or whatever, don’t bother as there’s just no need for it really is there.

Ewan McKen
    Participant

Here is some constructive advice:

If you get upset by a few cutting remarks, consider a career elsewhere, you are unlikely to be happy Offshore.

Regards,
    I5

Gamekeeper
    Participant

Second that I5…

LukeD
    Participant

I take my Helmet off to you Effinreps πŸ™‚
    The pointer you put at the beginning of this thread for trainee wannabes could not be any plainer 😯
    RTFM
    I’d expect anybody with even a small amount of brain cells ( half the amount of a goldfish ) will now understand the why’s /Could I’s and What can I’s of the ROV Industry .
    All the information you need has been spelled out on this Thread,
    READ IT 😯

Allegedly
    Participant

Not been on here for a while and I see it’s still full of whinging kids.
    Some fair points raised about some of the peeps sent offshore and yes, no doubt the guys with poor skills will be first back on the beach but the companies policys at the moment are to send these lads off so if they’ve got potential, lead them. You may never know if someones got potential if you don’t push ’em. You’re their superior, aren’t you? You’re a higher rate than them. You get paid more than them. So stop whinging and behave like a man (or woman) one step up the ladder and lead. If it seems to fall to the experienced guys offshore to continue their training then, when you can, do so at every opportunity. It’s in your interest after all. And if they’re not doing the basics that you feel they should, effin tell ’em!
    If you haven’t got the character to say it to their faces to effin buck up then don’t hide on here behind well hard, cool avatars or what ever they’re called and slag ’em off. And if reading the same question asked over and over again on here by someone who hasn’t read the FAQs etc drives you to a state of near apoplexy (?) perhaps you are in the wrong job ‘cos you’re way too stressed bro.
    If you don’t like the current state of affairs, pick up the phone and tell your Ops manager to stop sending these guys out to teams you’re on as you don’t consider it part of your job description to assist in their training. That should create another vacancy for a trainee. Or become an IMCA rep and lobby from that side to change the system.
    Me? Happy and positive. Stuff goes wrong, thats the nature of the beast. Haven’t had to shout at anyone ‘cos I tell peeps what needs doing and that I’d like it done if they haven’t already done it. Plus they ask if they don’t know and I take great pleasure in explaining stuff when I can, right down to why they’re not on the sticks. But they will be for basic stuff, transits, recoverys etc ‘cos if we go a man down for what ever reason, they have to be able to step up.
    I’m lovely and I’ve got all my own teeth. And if you don’t like my english, piss off. Oh, er….

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar