Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Some advice to all trainees looking for a start.

Some advice to all trainees looking for a start.

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Some advice to all trainees looking for a start.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    tinchicken
    Participant

Effireps original (and very good) post was not an attack on trainees as some have suggested on here, he was as far as I can see pointing out that the process should be more selective and I for one agree 100%.

It is all very well saying you are the supervisor it’s you job to train them and bring them on, but you have to have something to work with. We are all on working systems sometimes in a hostile enviroment, when things are going pear shaped you need someone on hand who knows (or has a clue) what is going on and what is required.

For example:-

On a recent job for a so called big company we had a first trip trainee who turned up (not as an extra) and said he was electrically qualified, briliiant NOT! It turned out his electrical qualification was a few weeks at ROV school, he was in fact an interior designer. He didn’t even have any idea about basic tools. After being sent to get a 19mm socket, said socket managed to turn itself into a 2ft shifter on the journey between the workshop and ROV. He had no idea of his working enviroment and was not only a hazard to himself but also to those he was working with.

Personally I have no problem having a trainee with me and virtually all the guys I come accross offshore feel the same, but ther has to be a minimum standard and ‘I want to be in ROV’ shouldn’t be that standard.

While you can’t blame a bloke for trying, you can blame the schools for taking guys with no relavant trade, but the majority of the blame must lie with the companies. At the end of the day they are the ones that send out the crews and they are the guys that are showing no concern for the systems or employees that run them.

It is the schools and companies that need regulating and before anyone cries IMCA, IMCA regulates nothing. I believe trainees should be an extra on a team allowing them to work and learn from experienced guys rather than putting extra strain on them caused by being core crew.

If you want to get into the industry and don’t have a relevant trade/qualification then go away and get one. Then come back and you will find that you will be accepted more readily by the so called ‘old sweats’.

note: He was not the only trainee in the crew in the above example and is not an isolated case with the company concerned.

I also have all my own teeth and any spelling mistakes are deliberate.

eoin
    Participant

Hi,

I am about to do a BOSSIET safety course in Donegal, with a view to getting work in the oil/ gas industry. I have an electro-mechanical engineering degree 1991,along with city & guilds Hydraulics 1997, pneumatics. I also have certed welding in ARC and MIG 2007,along with some fabrication experience.Held P.L.C.programming jobs a while back( too much programming!). I even done an Alarm installation course in evening 2006. I know a fare bit about transit vans/engine since I’ve had to troubleshoot/fix plenty on it over the years ( good fun too – when you are not in a rush though)

Based on this mish mash of qualifications over the years I hope to get an electro-mechanical position offshore .

Experience is what I am lacking in the above. I am thinking of getting any job on an oil rig or vessel, get some EXPERIENCE , work my way into being say a MOTORMAN then MECHANIC. At some stage sooner or later (depends on how it all works out) I might try get into ROV area, based on my proven skills and experience.

Does this sound like a good plan ?

If I applied directly now to an ROV operator ( which I’ll do anyway), how do you rate my chances ??

From what I am reading here, doing an ROV course might be a waste of money, especially since I already have a technnical background, response anyone !!

Cheers,

Weldit , Dublin

4nailuse
    Participant

Hi.

just like weldit, I am also looking for an opportunity In ROV industry and I thins that being a trainee is a very good start for me. I am a graduate of 3 years Electronic engineering Technology and wth almost 9 years of experience as equipment maintenance technician. However my line of industry is in semiconductor manufacturing company. I have been to faultfinding and repair of machine and motor control system, machine electrical and electronics parts, PLC/ electropnuematic system and machine mechanical parts maintenance. With this, do you think I am suited for a trainee ROV technician?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Three kiddies posts deleted.

If you wish waste your time posting childish responses then that is your choice. It take a lot less time for me to hit the delete button and about the same time to hit the account delete button.

regards
    James Mc

4nailuse
    Participant

Three kiddies posts deleted.

If you wish waste your time posting childish responses then that is your choice. It take a lot less time for me to hit the delete button and about the same time to hit the account delete button.

regards
    James Mc

Hello sir James.

I am Charlie. Since your one of the admin of this site or perhaps the co-owner can you give me some pointers on what should I do to be able to land a job in ROV industry. Right now I am looking for possible opening for an ROV technician trainee and I’m willing to do it even for just allowance pay. Do you happen to know any company that are offering trainee position?

Sorry for any mispled words or wrong grammar.

Preid
    Participant

Whats attracting people to the ROV industry?

When people say they want a change, are they assuming the works easier with better pay?

The rov scene is packed with trainee’s with all sorts of qualifications. All of which means little to a company as far as ive seen.

To be honest Charlie, Id stick to what youre good at and leave the rov’s be.

4nailuse
    Participant

Whats attracting people to the ROV industry?

When people say they want a change, are they assuming the works easier with better pay?

The rov scene is packed with trainee’s with all sorts of qualifications. All of which means little to a company as far as ive seen.

To be honest Charlie, Id stick to what youre good at and leave the rov’s be.

Hi Sir Pried.

Thanks for the advice sir.

The main reason I’d like to work in ROV is not purely on the financial side but also the skills that I would gain and also the adventure and the work schedule that the ROV industry have. If I may say sir Pried, I do like what I’m doing right now but if ever given the chance to Be an ROV technician who am I to miss that opportunity.

Allegedly
    Participant

Good call JM. I was tempted to give ’em a taste of my acerbic wit then I realised I don’t have any.
    4nailuse, not sure if I’d describe the work as ‘adventurous’ but yes, it can be very interesting and sometimes demanding in it’s own way.
    But one point I must raise before someone else verbally tears you a new waste evacuation tube. When I have found myself in the position where I’m reviewing guys CVs, the first ones that were ‘binned’ were the ones that said, "I’ll work for free, you just pay travel and accomodation costs etc.". Or "I’ll go offshore at just base rate, etc". Get my drift?
    This is a job, not a vocation. You are or will be surrounded by people paying mortgages, car loans, excessive bar bills and all the usual stuff we do to live a normal lifestyle and if it’s thought you’re working for virtually nothing you’ll not be popular. As workers in a cyclical industry, we have achieved and maintain a not unreasonable payscale for a ‘fair days work, a fair days pay’. We are not there to see how little we can work for.
    So don’t shoot yourself in the foot like this. It is not a ‘quick way in’. It’s the fastest way out.
    And be warned, I have met some of the less scrupulous managers (?) who have happily charged the client the full whack for a guy offshore who was working for a much lower, personally negotiated rate and pocketed the difference themselves. Admittedly this was a long way east of here but it happens, or certainly used to.
    This site in particular and other, similar ones, are a mine of excellent information. Have a good read of the posts here and formulate your career path, what you need to do to make yourself an attractive commodity to an ROV company. As has already been said on here, Read The F*****g Forums.
    Good luck and may your god go with you.

4nailuse
    Participant

Good call JM. I was tempted to give ’em a taste of my acerbic wit then I realised I don’t have any.
    4nailuse, not sure if I’d describe the work as ‘adventurous’ but yes, it can be very interesting and sometimes demanding in it’s own way.
    But one point I must raise before someone else verbally tears you a new waste evacuation tube. When I have found myself in the position where I’m reviewing guys CVs, the first ones that were ‘binned’ were the ones that said, "I’ll work for free, you just pay travel and accomodation costs etc.". Or "I’ll go offshore at just base rate, etc". Get my drift?
    This is a job, not a vocation. You are or will be surrounded by people paying mortgages, car loans, excessive bar bills and all the usual stuff we do to live a normal lifestyle and if it’s thought you’re working for virtually nothing you’ll not be popular. As workers in a cyclical industry, we have achieved and maintain a not unreasonable payscale for a ‘fair days work, a fair days pay’. We are not there to see how little we can work for.
    So don’t shoot yourself in the foot like this. It is not a ‘quick way in’. It’s the fastest way out.
    And be warned, I have met some of the less scrupulous managers (?) who have happily charged the client the full whack for a guy offshore who was working for a much lower, personally negotiated rate and pocketed the difference themselves. Admittedly this was a long way east of here but it happens, or certainly used to.
    This site in particular and other, similar ones, are a mine of excellent information. Have a good read of the posts here and formulate your career path, what you need to do to make yourself an attractive commodity to an ROV company. As has already been said on here, Read The F*****g Forums.
    Good luck and may your god go with you.

Sir alledgedly. Thanks for the inputs and advice, all is taken positively.
    I just thought that if I’d tell to some prospected employer that i’m willing to be paid in allowance base on the trainee period I would have better chance of getting in but now that I know it’s the other way around, I would not consider that as an option in my future application. Thanks you very much sir for sharing what you know.

I’m just new on this site so I’d better start reading to expand knowledge in ROV industry.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

I’m just new on this site so I’d better start reading to expand knowledge in ROV industry.

Excellent approach!

best regards
    James Mc

4nailuse
    Participant

Excellent approach!

best regards
    James Mc

Thanks sir JamesMc. I just hope I could be an excellent ROV crew Just like you when you were just starting out in ROV industry.

good bless

Charlie

ROVRatt
    Participant

Hey Charlie,

Thanks sir JamesMc. I just hope I could be an excellent ROV crew Just like you when you were just starting out in ROV industry.

good bless

Charlie

One thing you must never do in the ROV world is kiss bum or work for a lower rate. You and I have no idea what Sir JamesMc was like offshore starting out in the ROV industry, so how can you so presumptiously praise his excellency?

No offence meant James, just a correction of brown nosing intended.

4nailuse
    Participant

Hey Charlie,

good bless

Charlie

One thing you must never do in the ROV world is kiss bum or work for a lower rate. You and I have no idea what Sir JamesMc was like offshore starting out in the ROV industry, so how can you so presumptiously praise his excellency?

No offence meant James, just a correction of brown nosing intended.

Hi Rovratt,

Forgive me but I’m not sure what brown nosing means but Reading your post I think that you misunderstood what I posted and it turned out negatively. I’m not presumptiously praising James excellence in ROV when he was just starting out because he wouldn’t be where he is now if his not an excellent ROV crew back then, right? He even made this site, for experienced ROV crew and for those who like to become part of ROV world just like me. How ever let me apologize for what ever it is that you think wrong on what I posted.

Good bless

4nailuse
    Participant

I thought this article is worth sharing. I got this from the net while searching for an ROV information.

http://www.imca-int.com/documents/divisions/rov/docs/IMCAR002.pdf

Ray Shields
    Participant

It would be better if you just posted a link to this information rather than copying and pasting what may possibly be copyright material.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar