Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    K2
    Participant

I hold STCW95, OGUK and OLF certs along with their corresponding medicals. I must say that the STCW95 survival/ safety and firefighting courses I completed were far superior (with the exception of helo and rebreather training) to any oil and gas training I’ve ever done.

Two flip-sides here:

1) the STCW95 certs are non expiring which is great from a financial point of view
    2) since there are no refresher requirements you will not be informed of new equipment/ techniques etc unless you are proactive offshore – and lets face it, some guys struggle to locate the sub on deck let alone new safety gear 😆

Never been asked for any specific certification unless working in Norway. Worked for large US company who required no (yes, none) certification whatsoever.

I’m pretty sure that it is only the renewable watchkeeper certs that give you the mariner status and enable you to officially sign on articles but don’t quote me on that one.

Stay Safe

😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

The course is for seafarers!

Does this mean that ROV is gradually becoming a marine trade and that ROV courses will be held at Marine colleges instead of ROV training schools?

In Australia, at least, both institutions that provide ROV courses are "Maritime Technical Colleges" both Fremantle TAFE and the Australian Maritime College in Launceston.

Personally I have had to undergo STCW95 training, in order to work offshore in Brazil. This was at least ten years ago and I already had a HUET/BOSIET. In my opinion at that time it was just another way to get some money into the local economy, the standard of training was quite laughable really…

Actually I think there is also a similar Marine ROV training set-up in Canada…….

I have no objection to the Marine medical cert but one or the other please…… not two different survival standards for working on ships internationally in the oil & gas or cable industries. Plus, it now seems, two different medicals! What do we need to double up on next? (other than day rates 😉 )

regards
    James Mc

boroman
    Participant

Reliance Industrys in India insisted on them when working in the waters off the East coast of India.
    Good old Allseas along with Gulf Offsore then insisted that the ROV crew have the relevent STCW training cert as well as the normal offshore survival and medical.
    This then helps with the amount of pasengers the vessel is allowed to carry under the articles exempt option. which i think is 12.
    The STCW allows you to sign on as ships crew, which means your client reps and others can fill the passenger slots.
    If you have 6 ROV crew, surveyors data dogs etc the 12 slots soon become filled.
    So in a nutshell us ROV guys get shafted again. 😡

luckyjim37
    Participant

I know a guy who works for Allseas directly. All of the ROV crew have to have the STCW course regardless of worksite.

The first I heard of the course was working for them down in India.

It has come in handy though as I have been doing some scientific work where it is a recognised certificate for the vessel. The UKOOA and OLF meant nothing to them.

James is dead right there should be one medical. The eng 1 should be the accepted medical requirement for the whole industry as it is a department of transport medical. Maybe this is something that should be put through the Uni0n as at the end of the day it is a more intensive medical than the UKOOA one and is internationally recognised.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

My understanding (from a previous post by K2) is once taken it does not expire. No refreshers.

Can someone advise…..

What is the validity period for the Eng 1 (marine) medical?

regards
    James Mc

gr8
    Participant

My understanding (from a previous post by K2) is once taken it does not expire. No refreshers.

Can someone advise…..

It is valid for 5 years, although you can do a higher medical and fire fighting and then they do not expire. In this situation you have to refresh only two of them every 5 years.

What is the validity period for the Eng 1 (marine) medical?

2 years

K2
    Participant

Ref expiry of STCW95 survival and firefighting certs – here’s my email to the MCA and their reply:

Sent:

There is no expiry date on my STCW95 survival and fire fighting certificates. Could you tell me whether these come under your five year renewal mentioned in the MCA website or are these non-expiring?

Reply:

There is no expiry date for these certificates although some employers require staff to undertake refresher courses. You do not need to do anything further with regards to revalidating your CoC. We do not require to see these certificates for revalidation as we would have had to have sight of them to issue you with a STCW95 CoC. I hope this assists you?

Ref the ENG1 – these are valid for 2 years.

😉

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Thanks for that.. straight from the horses mouth… very informative :tup:

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar