Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Sub Zero temperatures and work class ROV’s

Sub Zero temperatures and work class ROV’s

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Sub Zero temperatures and work class ROV’s

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    DANFROV
    Keymaster

What experience do you guys have in operating Work class ROV’s in sub zero air temperatures like – 10 C deg. Or even – 20 C deg.

Apart from the obvious like heating oil, keeping water off the vehicle (on deck) , etc..
    Any suggestions on good ways to keep working in this.

Any issues with metal go brittle, Tethers, Umbilical’s ?

Dan

dan@workocean.com

Workocean limited

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

Interesting.

I’ve seen some cool pics of possibly Sonsub ROVs encased in ice in Russia. Maybe some guys there past or present could shed some light?

DANFROV
    Keymaster

I got a picture of an ROV in Canada. Some ice cover.

xl_ice_03_523.jpg
     Description: Ice on ROV
    xl_ice_03_523.jpg

andyrose
    Participant

Bugger! I thought it was cood in the North Sea

Ray Shields
    Participant

What do they run it on, Tellus 1??

DANFROV
    Keymaster

Has anyone any comments on the above, looking forward the next "west Africa " will be Canada, Iceland, Greenland, Russia. = COLD

What experiences do you have with cold weather ROV operations?

Dan

dan@workocean.com

Savante
    Participant

Dan,

Just wondering if the next generation of ROV will have to feature online thermal monitoring to eliminate risks of thermal shock to seals, components, etc.

Much like a formula one car?? Keep the thing in a thermal jacket, ready to thunderbirds it when required??

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Actually (on deck) plugging the sub into an external recirculating filter pack (CJC springs to mind) will keep the oil clean, water contamination low and above freezing temperature. If working in freezing conditions I’d consider that as an option.

marley
    Participant

I may be wrong but that appears to be XL-38, boat job off nfld, yes it is that cold here sometimes but not a regular thing. The cold doesn’t create a big lot of problems as long as the system is equipped to handle it. Normally systems are running ENVIRITE 22, heaters installed in winch hpu to keep the oil warm, hydralic bypasses help with motor and pump startups, oh and warm clothes for the boys. Damn only a couple of months and thats what we got to face.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar