Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner SubSea7 Interview

SubSea7 Interview

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner SubSea7 Interview

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Keith Erskine
    Participant

Hello, I’m looking for a bit of advice.

I’ve been lucky enough to be selected for an interview with SubSea7, they’ve sent me some info ref the interview day and it will involve a short written test (GULP!)

Can anybody supply any info/help with regards to the content of the test?
    Many thanks in advance for any and all help given.

Regards,

Homer

John TRAV
    Participant

If you have looked into the job enough as opposed to just "wanting" to be an ROV pilot because "its cool" (or sounds cool) and you have been offered an interview through choice of decision, then that must be because some SClub recruiter think that you stand out…..

So, you must have either a half decent elec or hydraulic background. All you need to do is elaborate on the info they have on your CV and state good reasons why offshore (or if your already offshore) or ROV is for you.

There is no right or wrong way of performing interviews (in certain respects) but there is a right & wrong way of completing a "test" as part of an interview. Use your current knowledge to perform the test on areas familiar with your experience and "try" to answer the questions outwith your experience with logical thinking anologie’s to your expertise – by no accounts guess outwith your experience as these guys will suss you out, be honest and humble with your reasoning and always remember key word/phrase "safety & effects" before answering any question with regards to how something could have effect on 1: yourself, 2: your collegues, 3: equipment, 4: the effect on the company in terms of contactural implecations with the client/contractor.

BTW, just for your own "back up" should you be rejected in ROV, remember, we ROV guys are now probably the lowest paid in terms of the general Subsea Industry, the good old days of the cool job and big day rates/salaries are over (for now anyway (hopefully we will take a bounce back)).

You might want to look into Subsea operations slightly outwith ROV, with companies like Cameron, FMC, Aker Subsea etc. Ok they generally dont qualify for SED but whos to say SED in ROV is always guaranteed and going to be stable? If that collapses due to government clampdown/economic recessions etc then you will most definatley be better off outwith ROV in the first place – worth considering…….

Good luck…..

paul norman
    Participant

Got one (a interview) as well 😀

Dunno about the test though, been 25 years since I’ve done theory stuff.
    Guess I’ll invest in a basic book to refresh the old memory 😳

Good luck to anybody else who’s going, as trainee positions are a bit thin on the ground.

Paul

Paul Smith
    Participant

Hey Guys,

I have a Interview also. I must admit I’m not looking forwad to the test part. I need to get back up to speed with the basics again.

Would be good to know what areas to start on tho. With it being a trainee position do you think the test will be quite basic, or will you have to read schematics and work out equations etc.

cheers

Paul

leigh
    Participant

There must be some Interviews then….HR told me between 60-100 interviewees…for 20 posts. As for technical test. it’s a level entry position so it wont be too tech, sychometeric, basic engineering, hydraulics and electrical and wouldnt put 1 or 2 schematics being thrown in, still you either know your stuff or you dont!!! Im Ex Global Marine Systems Ltd Junior systems Tech….but fell off the cable business when it went down hill, just trying to get back on the horse again now tho…..have competency book almost to systems Tech too!!!! However that dont count for shit…… so lets wait and see…… 🙄

johnjames
    Participant

Did u have ur interview?? What did the exam consit of I’f u don’t mind me asking ?? As I have 1 next week…

paul norman
    Participant

Mines on the 20th.
    Looking forward to it, but not the 400mile drive each way.

Might see some of you there
    Paul

johnjames
    Participant

Same here mines is in the 20th 8:30 in the morning.. Trying to find out a wee bit about this technical exam tho… Hopefully find a bit if info in here the over 2 parts I could cope with just the exam throwing me a wee bit

paul norman
    Participant

sounds like we will see each other then.
    staying Sunday night at premier inn.
    Anyone else?

John Devanney
    Participant

Im also attending but on 31st. I dont understand why your driving 400 miles though diases? Theyre flying me from Norwich airport and putting me up in the Hilton and also said if I had any other travel expenses (taxi etc) just to ask for a receipt and they will refund.

It may be worth asking their HR department if theyll do this for you.

Hope I may have saved you a few quid!

John.

paul norman
    Participant

Did think about flying or train.
    trains 8hrs from mine to aberdeen.
    driving about the same, but at least I know the roads as I was in st Andrews for 7 years.
    Dunno about flying, guess I thought it too much hassle.

Drives not that bad really, no wife and good music for a change 😉

Paul

PS. with expenses(mileage/hotel), I should be even for the trip. Might even make a small profit

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar