Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Suitable oil for Tritech sonar

Suitable oil for Tritech sonar

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Suitable oil for Tritech sonar

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Emad Elshimy
    Participant

Does anyone knows what is recommended oil for Tritech sonar, and may we use WD40 instead!!!

Ray Shields
    Participant

Err, WD40 is NOT oil 🙂

In the past we have had to use caster oil.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Silicon oil (MS-33 based).
    Tritech has repair kits available.

See this page at the Tritech website: Removal and Replacement of Sonar Transducer Boot

Glevum
    Participant

MS-33 is the grease used for lubricating o-ring and boot.

I’m not sure what the oil is, but I have also used Caster oil for filling transducer boots in the past.

The speed of sound in Castor oil is very close to the speed of sound in sea water, that is why it is often used to fill transducer bots.

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

MS-33 is the grease used for lubricating o-ring and boot.

No, that’s Molykote 33M from Dow Corning.

Glevum
    Participant

ron,

from the page you link to earlier:

under service tools

Oil drain can & drip-tray Silicone Grease (MS-33 medium)

under replacement

Grease the o-ring and groove with silicon grease, refit onto the bodytube. Lubricate the inner and outer area edge of the boot where the o-ring seal and boot ring locates, with MS-33 silicon grease. Refit the boot so that its moulding locates securely on the housing profile. Fit the boot retaining ring over the boot, and tighten down firmly. Screw the filling funnel in its in the side of the bodytube. Mount the head in its head clamp and fill with new clean oil.

Sit Rep
    Participant

Yes Ray WD40 is not oil but some other pieces of subsea kit do use it as a compensating medium e.g Seaeye pan & tilts. I believe the actual medium to some type of glycol compound.

I have used castor oil before when working with sonar devices, although not specifically an ROV sonar. One of the main things to look for is a specific gravity as close to (sea)water as possible. It comes down to the physics and the ratios of the refractive indices between the two media i.e. the contents of the boot around the sound source and the seawater environment.

There is a link discussing Polyalkylene Glycol and castor oil here that addresses some of the issues.
    http://oai.dtic.mil/oai/oai?verb=getRecord&metadataPrefix=html&identifier=ADA066899

Cheers,

Kiwitech
    Participant

We use glycol in all or transducer tanks when doing shootthru installations and also for sonar transducer houings (well the cheap nasty little scanning ones!!!)

R2D2
    Participant

That was a good question.

I emailed the support address on the previous link. 💡

Their good fellow Craig, replied within the day," The oil we use in our Sonar boot is Shell Diala GX".

Hope that helps 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Armed with the info above ( Shell Diala GX ) You can now get an Oil chart from the internet and get the equivalent manufacture oils to broaden your chances of usage ! 😉

Emad Elshimy
    Participant

Many thanks for all of you..! Tritech adviced Shell Diala GX, but i havent found it in local market in Italy,so i used normal Tellus 32 and it works fine, thanks again

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar