Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner telephone interview advice please

telephone interview advice please

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner telephone interview advice please

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    michael kilby
    Participant

So after sending off a billion CVs I have had an email stating that I am to be given an interview by a member of an ROV project management team member, over the phone, for a potential trainee position.

Now I’m confident in my ability to speak to people face to face, but I have never been interviewed over thwarting phone. So could anyone here give me some advice as to what might be asked of me and how best to prepare for this please?

Thanks in advance

Mick

andyrose
    Participant

Mick,

You will need a telephone mate.

Andy

andyrose
    Participant

More seriously though.

As a trainee you are not going to be expected to know specifics.

I would guess that it will be more about your previous work experience and what you know generally, your abilities and how that could help you in the ROV industry and more specifically what you can offer the company.

It may be a good idea to go online and research the ROVs the company use and show that you have taken an interest in the company beyond just trying to get a job etc.

Good luck

Andy

michael kilby
    Participant

Andy,

Thanks for the reply, not easy typing on a smart phone and walking a spaniel after a night shift!

What you said is exactly what I was hoping to hear, and I had naturally planned on researching the companies ROV types. Just to to hope I can sell myself when the time comes.

Final question: would it be too forward of me to get back to the company and find out exactly when the call will come so I’m as prepared as possible?

Mick

On my phone…….

paul norman
    Participant

Definatly find out when it gonna happen.

I did one a few years ago for a job application.
    It was conferanced at thier end and they had a HR girly there.

Make yourself comfy, with what everelse you need, in a quiet area.
    But most importantly, if using a mobile, make certain its charged up.
    Then its just like a normal interview.
    As Andy said, Trainee’s are not expected to know ROV’s, so its your experience they are looking for and usual HR type questions.

Good Luck
    Paul

Lacombe
    Participant

Mick say

Final question: would it be too forward of me to get back to the company and find out exactly when the call will come so I’m as prepared as possible?

its a joke? 😀 it s a bit too pushy.

after a billion cv send ,be ready, thats all.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Also don’t be surprised if the person doing the interview knows very little about ROVs! Especially the HR person, they won’t have a clue.

The interview is not about what you know about ROVs – you are a Trainee, you cannot learn about ROVs until you get a job IN ROVs.

This is about what is in your CV (anyone can write BS in that), about your work experiences, to see how you come across. Certainly worthwhile finding out about the company, what they do, what equipment they use, their vessels, big contracts etc. as that does show you have gone to the bother of finding out.

Steph Mulheron
    Participant

Team monkey did you ever get the phone interview?

michael kilby
    Participant

unfortunealtey not

i emailed back weekly letting them know when i was free to talk as i am not supposed to use my personal phone at work

i even told them that if they let me know when the call was going to be i’d take time off work

but after 6 weeks of emails and updates from me to them, and them promising me it would be happeneing soon, i got an email saying they had reviewed their manning and were not taking on any more

still, just another little setback, at least i was shortlisted for this one, and i’m not letting it get to me, 14 years armed service means i dont get knocked back by much, just shrug it off and keep pushing on

Mick

Steph Mulheron
    Participant

That’s exactly what happened to me. I think it will be the same company, I’ve since found out that they’re not expecting to take on any this year, ow ever I do know that there training course s are full. Angola people I’m on 23 yrs service. Good luck. I’m not giving up.

michael kilby
    Participant

you too mate, if i hear anything or get somewhere i’ll be sure to let you know, share and share alike etc

Steph Mulheron
    Participant

Will do.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar