Home Forums Jokes! Have a Laugh! :) Tether mismanagement

Tether mismanagement

Home Forums Jokes! Have a Laugh! :) Tether mismanagement

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Bill Bulloch
    Participant

Sealion, then must be Fugro on Pyrenees.
    Well done for getting it back though.

DJansen
    Participant

Not necessarily.. Before Fugro became a ROV company Sealions were operated by Thales and before that by Racal… Oh and before that they were operated by Asiatic Underwater … Originally they were built by Techno Transfer which was the shore side part of the same company..

Fugro is just the last in the line of owners..

Bill Bulloch
    Participant

Thanks for the history lesson. However, as Fugro have the contract on the NW shelf, then its a decent bet that its Fugro!
    They are also the only Oz based company that I know of that operate Sealions/Rigworkers.
    Oh, and before TT and Frank Vespa ‘obtained’ the plans for the Rigworkers they were built in Great Yarmouth by Osel.
    What was your point again?!

Andy Shiers
    Participant

The point being 🙂
    The fiasco being watched in good viz was last year in May and was in Australia 😀
    The Sealion is just a revamped Rigworker with Far eastern parts . 8)
    And that the pilots should not have got into that mess in the first place if they were any good 😯
    plus he had assistance from another ROV to get himself out of it 😆
    What a load of Bollocks 😆

Savante
    Participant

ach, their intervention system will have been working during that fiasco (umbilicals from vessel somewhere in that mish-mash), in which case, they were probably still on hire and drawing in the cash…. … it’s embarassing and red-face time, but if it was a lump sum contract – everyone is probably still smiling at the end of the day. It’s a good and justifiable operational reason to maintain 2 vehicles on standby. At the end of it all, TSM Oz seems to wash its own face.

not been involved in landing a sils; bop landing type operation on four wires?

Is someone going to blame it on the weather or are we going to go for thruster melt-down?

Craig Thorngren
    Participant

Wow, alot of people are harping on the pilots saying they screwed up, when no one has told us the whole story… Contrary to what people have written here, for all we know the fubar may not have even been their fault. Some things are beyond the pilots control like a loss of ships power… If the ROV was slightly buoyant and all power was lost, it’d start to rise slowly. With the currents it could easily have wrapped itself around the other gear. They could have had a fault in the ROV that didn’t allow them to have full control.

As for the comments about the pilots being from one of the schools or training centers, for all we know the ones who tangled it could be old salty dogs who learned everything the hard way with on the job training, and the ones who untangled the mess could be fresh PTII’s out of one of the schools. I think it’s a pretty cheap shot to say they were from one of the schools…

Chief

Savante
    Participant

Is someone going to blame it on the weather or are we going to go for thruster melt-down

DJansen
    Participant

Thanks for the history lesson. However, as Fugro have the contract on the NW shelf, then its a decent bet that its Fugro!
    They are also the only Oz based company that I know of that operate Sealions/Rigworkers.
    Oh, and before TT and Frank Vespa ‘obtained’ the plans for the Rigworkers they were built in Great Yarmouth by Osel.
    What was your point again?!

My point was that the pic was taken in Asia… Not australia.. How do I know ? Cos the bloke that sent me the pic is a mate of mine and was on the job it was during the time when Racal was operating sealions out of Singapore…

Oh and Frank Vespa didn’t ‘obtain’ the plans for Rigworker.. He bought and operated four of them… Sealion was designed by an ex-Osel Engineer after Osel went bust.. Yes there were similarities (steel frame, rhl thruster motors etc) but apart from that they were very different..

Sorry to burst your bubble…. 🙄

sealion_876.jpg
    sealion_876.jpg

Andy Shiers
    Participant

I never heard of one operating very well 8)
    Whether it was Auzzie or Far east I still find it very hard how you can get yourself in such a mess !
    I am presuming that it was from a Semi Sub doing wellhead workovers or Temporary Guide base exploratory drilling I’m doubting that it was on a drilling Ship , Anyway …………………. The Vehicle would have come from ONE direction ( The deployment area ) to the guide wires ! Considering that the area is like a clockface you either go clockwise around the tree or anticlockwise 8)
    I fail to see , even if The ROV suffered malfunction problems how it managed to stitch a ‘cats cradle’ It smells of bad piloting to me !
    As for

Some things are beyond the pilots control like a loss of ships power… If the ROV was slightly buoyant and all power was lost, it’d start to rise slowly. With the currents it could easily have wrapped itself around the other gear. They could have had a fault in the ROV that didn’t allow them to have full control.

Errrrrrr 😕 Somehow I think you have not been on many drill support jobs 😯

Ray Shields
    Participant

My comments on it are very good, shit happens, and they got out of it.

If it was a mistake, a breakdown or a whoops, they did what they are paid to do to rectify it. Good operations to clear it with one ROV helping another.

Some of you guys just love a moan :L Of course YOU have never done anything wrong offshore, have you 🙂

Good video to show trainees.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😀

Savante
    Participant

I think it’s TS Marines well intervention vessel configuration rather than a semi-sub – they have that strange schlumberger sils system that they drop through the moonpool onto the xmas tree for workovers. Riserless intervention – prob a big earner in the future if you can get deeper than 400m? 😆

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Na !
    I remember back in 1989 working on a semisub called Sedco H off Nigeria ,
    We were doing exploratory wells for Elf .
    A temporary guide base was lowered to the floor on four guide wires , Then a base target was lowered on top of that to guide the hole opener and then the casing , The hole was drilled and either abandoned or capped using a config tree , Once the tree had been latched the guide wires were cut by a tool lowered down each wire or by the ROV cutter.
    It’s old hat stuff.
    This company TS marine , they are Asian operators employing Malaysians or Philipinos ?

Anonymous

Tangled ROV is XLS20 (TSMarine/Submec operators). This is clearly seen in the side livery in the opening frames.

Vincent field is NW Shelf Australia to the best of my knowledge.

Given that XLS20 is tangled and XLS19 is also there, my guess is that the RSV (ROV Support Vessel for the un-initiated) is Havila Harmony.

It looks like the sub has had a fair few dings applied since I was on it.:wink:

Facts
    I have flown XLS20.
    It was a year before this (overlay dated).

Anonymous

Tangled ROV is XLS20 (TSMarine/Submec operators). This is clearly seen in the side livery in the opening frames.

Vincent field is NW Shelf Australia to the best of my knowledge.

Given that XLS20 is tangled and XLS19 is also there, my guess is that the RSV (ROV Support Vessel for the un-initiated) is Havila Harmony.

It looks like the sub has had a fair few dings applied since I was on it.:wink:

Facts
    I have flown XLS20.
    It was a year before this (overlay dated).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar