Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info.

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Thanks for the info.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    paul norman
    Participant

Lo guys (and girls)
    Well been reading and researching on here for a while, and just wanted to say thanks to all the contributers and site runners.
    Just applied for a position as a ROV techie, as I believe Im qualified from whats been stated on these boards.
    I’m another ex military techie (avoinics/electrical, with hyd/pnuematic expericence), used to working in some Sh**ty places (hot and cold), good sense of humour, and willing to learn from the old boys (no insults intended).

Just one thing concerns me though.
    Is this a young mans game?
    I’m 45, reasonably fit, and have plenty of stamina for long shifts.
    What sort of age are most trainees?

I like the idea of fixing underwater airplanes 😉 and would hate to think that I’m past it for this industry.

Anyway, back to the research
    cheers
    paul

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Paul

As you seem to have loads of hands on tech experience (thankfully of the right type) and are reasonably fit, then age will not be an issue. There is no age cut off.

Good luck :tup:

paul norman
    Participant

Cheers james

Best news I’ve heard today. 8)

As a side note are there many tech only roles?
    Flying sounds interesting, and challenging with the possible ocean conditions(any good examples?), but my main aim is the maint side, and getting as much experience on different types as possible, but in field conditions rather than factory (although factory gives overview without the enviromental/time constraints).
    Career so far is mostly flightline based where time/safety is critical, but still having the ability to say "you cant have it, sir". 😈
    Well, thanks for the info. Im pretty certain I could think of a hundred questions to ask about a fasinating industry.

cheers
    Paul
    PS. any good technical reading that would be useful?

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Paul

Most teams are small (3 man), so Tech and Flying go together. A good tech is always handy on a team and flying the things comes with a bit of practice. You’ll not have any issues I feel.

As for bedtime reading. Well not really. There are few books around but they become dated quite quickly when it comes to design and the type of gear in current use. Best thing is get an interview with one or two companies, score a job, and let them lead you though the basics. Then get familiar with the gear they use to make yourself as useful as possible in that particular company’s environment.

FYI. For a tech this is about the best time of the year to hit the UK market (if that’s where you are) as companies will be looking to crew up for the upcoming season. So, I’d suggest you push for a job over the next few months to get your foot in the door.

paul norman
    Participant

Thanks again james

I have just one app in at the moment, but I’m beginning to realize that I can get into this industry, where as I’ve been unsuccessful getting into oil/gas maint side of things(lack of exp I reckon).
    As for the flying side of things, I have exp with airbourne camera operation and calibration of systems. so reasonable experienced with small input/movement systems.

No bedtime reading, damn, I’ll have to renew my magazine subsciption 😉
    Better get the CV’s flying through the ether.

Cheers
    Paul

James McLauchlan
    Participant

No worries Paul

Good luck :tup:

paul norman
    Participant

Well, more app’s in now. And yes james, another Brit.
    Out of interest, as a ex-Raf guy, how does ROV life/conditions compare with mob det life.
    I’ve seen lots of ex-military types posting here, so I’m guessing some are in the industry and may like to comment.
    Is the "work hard, play hard" ethic present, or is it a more laid back style.
    Guess I’m talking onshore, as I believe(correct me if I’m wrong) that most offshore time is Dry.
    Just trying to understand the lifestyle better. I realize the away from home, etc, bits. Just thinking about the longer overseas stuff really.

cheers
    Paul

James McLauchlan
    Participant

Paul

It’s not much different than mob life, except you don’t call anyone sir and first names are the norm. Your new uniform will be coveralls, hard hat, safety boots and other PPE as and when required or in some cases dictated
    Work rates vary depending on the type of project/job. 12 hr shifts are the norm. 12 hrs on 12 hrs off. You can have a run of very hard 12 hr shifts or conversely very little happening with days on standby. No set days off on a trip (there is no weekend) but if the vessel is in transit or down on weather things slack off quite a bit as long as the system is up to scratch on maintenance etc. Expect roughly 4 weeks on 4 weeks off on longer/regular slots. Some jobs are ‘job and knock’ so might be anything from 1 – 6 weeks duration. (James stands back waiting for glib remarks to follow from other forum members) 😉

the bulk of ROV work offshore is on boats, althought there are quite a few rig based systems around. Virtually all jobs are ‘dry’ but once alongside runs ashore are common place. Don’t be tempted to take a bottle offshore. It could/will cause all sorts of instant unemployment issues! So, don’t go there.

In the ROV construction/inpection game you’ll spend most of your working life on a ship. Not signed on as ships crew but on the vessel as project staff. Ships crew run the ship, ROV run the ROV system. Marine and ROV are different jobs so different bosses and different work/shift schedules/tasks.

That having been said, you should at some point acquire a Seaman’s Discharge book and Seaman’s Card. As an ROV employee though, the company should see you right for that, so hang slack on applying but do ask your new employer about them. Don’t join a UK based union. Bloody waste of time in this game, as we have proven in the past. There is a new International ROV association (IROVA) getting off the ground, but progress appears to be very slow. If the IROVA works, it may well prove useful to those working at the sharp end of the ROV industry.

Hope that fills in a few gaps for you, and others.

paul norman
    Participant

Good info there, thanks.

I would never think of drinking during ship time, I’ve seen the sort of crap that comes from that.
    Shift thing is easy, 20 years of days/nights, 4 on/4 off ( or other management designed test patterns). Whats a weekend 😉
    Been out the mob since 2001, so used to first names, and company PPE.

I’ve noticed alot of acromnyms (think thats how you spell it),
    Is GOM gulf of mexico?
    Any others that would be good to know, area wise.

Well, time to apply for a training course…… KIDDING 😈
    cheers
    Paul

James McLauchlan
    Participant

GOM = Gulf of Mexico

SEA = South East Asia

Most other areas are described by their actual names.

Perry Gurtin
    Participant

It is good to see that this thread hasn’t been trashed as it seems that you are legitimate with your questions and that is all that is required ( a good attitude really helps and please remember that these guys may not always be ex military so you may need to swallow your pride sometimes as they could believe that the military didn’t allow you to develop proper skills?). I personally feel that the industry has changed in the last couple of years, but trust me when I say from a bit of experience that this field is a lot about what you bring to the dance and not getting involved with petty back stabbing as you will find a lot of people try and brag about their skills and accomplishments when realistically all the company cares about is getting the job done safely with minimal down-time. Being ex military you are probably use to different personality types which is a great thing as we are usually very tolerant of people so do yourself a big favour when starting out and let your abilities show who you are rather than being like a lot of people that say what they were in the military as most of the guys will probably not care and the best way onto a permanent rostered position is showing skills and a willingness to fit in!!

Good luck

Canuck 1

paul norman
    Participant

I’ve never been into the back stabbing (or politic) type stuff. Just getting the work done, and having a good time when the opportunity comes along.
    As other posters in different threads have said, they are allways learning new things, and tech is evolving. I’ll allways listen to the "old" boys.
    I know that I’ll be the tea boy if I get in, and thats fine by me. My previous experiences will count for nothing, unless I prove myself to the people that count, the types that post good constructive info, and with a wealth of info tucked away inside there heads.
    I really appriecate the info that this community is giving me, as a possible new member. Was expecting a few sarcastic comments about trying this proffession, but none so far (guess I’ll get them soon though 🙄 )

As for bigging myself up, well, I can fix airplanes, drink beer, live in tents, shoot a gun, stand to attention, etc. so not much in common with ROV ops.
    But I can work hard and listen, and learn about the job.
    At the end of the day, YOU guys are the people with the knowledge and experience, and will shape the industrys future.

Just hope Im there to see it.
    Cheers
    Paul

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Good positive post Paul. Good luck in the industry!

paul norman
    Participant

Cheers Scot.

Just got to get the break.
    Out of interest, Anyone know how many people are usually taken on, for the oceaneering trainee positions/course.
    Im guessing it’s a few, but just wondering
    Cheers
    Paul

paul norman
    Participant

As people may Know, oceaneering were advertising for trainee Rov pilot/techs.
    Post is not advertised anymore, so rang oceaneering.

Apparently, they had over 700 applications.
    Oh well, just hope my cv does me justice, and I get a interview.
    Wish me luck, I may need it 🙂

cheers
    paul

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar