Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner The Long Wait

The Long Wait

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner The Long Wait

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

I’ve had an interview with an ROV company in January but they have been slow (extended the time) to make a decision regarding appointments. I have been told that this is common place in the offshore industry. Has anyone else had this type of experience. ❓

Spacer
    Participant

Have they offered you a job or not. Have you signed a contract? If not then my advice is to move on to another company.

After the interview they should tell you right away if you are hired. Then get on with negotiating a contract. After all that, it could be months before you actually get on to work. I had to wait almost four months between signing a contract and actually going to work.

Good luck

Savante
    Participant

I would go and chuck your cv around all the others anyway mate- interview experience is good for the soul.

Ray Shields
    Participant

I’ve had an interview with an ROV company in January but they have been slow (extended the time) to make a decision regarding appointments. I have been told that this is common place in the offshore industry. Has anyone else had this type of experience. ❓

Hello cove 🙂

Some companies are slower than others. As you have not had a definate yes or no, continue to apply for other jobs/positions, do not waste your time waiting on them. ROV companies seem to be notorious in not replying back to people or to leave them for so long that anyone they DO want have already given up and gone elsewhere.

Auriga
    Participant

Hi Tagan!

I’ve got to agree with Ray on that one!

I was up at Subnormal 7’s office 3 weeks ago and they said that they had nothing happening…makes you wonder why they asked me to go up????

Had a call from them yesterday saying that they would like to offer me an interview with a view to placing me on one of the new vessels!

They were mystified by the fact that I had went and got another job!!!!!!!! The shock that I did not wait for them to call!

Best bet mate is to go around all the companies and agencies again and the first job that comes up take it!! You can always stay or move on from there.

Not the best advice I admit but at the moment thats how I feal 😀

HelpMaBoab
    Participant

S/club7 would be one of the last companies I would work for, unless if you are happy being a drone, also watch out for PHaggerty, cross him and you run the chance of getting blackballed, it happened to me!!!

liddelljohn
    Participant

my mate mike works as a Operations supervisor for several oil majors he says when hiring ROV companies Sonsub always offer the lowest price.but he also says the result is often poor.

Thanks for the feedback,

I have had a good deco around the IMCA site checkin out all the contractors web sites. Very few, infact none that I could find had UK trainee positions. The main players give the standard Not Recruiting Right Now, But we will keep you on file for future ref.. Get the feeling that that file is labled B.I.N.. I feel lucky to have got an interview as it seems most newbies on the site haven’t even got that far. Location and current job mean I am not in a position to easily trawl round the companies in person.

Seeing some of the comments with regard to which companies to work for, beggers cant be choosers when your looking for a start. But I do know that the company I had the interview with, would be required by their new contract – too carry out all their Launches to an S-Club 7 soundtrack. See music to launch to!!!

Hi Ray. I hear that although you live in the land of quines and loons your a K.T. Cove yourself. You’ve been keepin quite of late not many posts on here, ya been busy in the sun 8)

Cheers the now lads and thanks again for the feedback

sinbad
    Participant

Yes, I think the only choice is to keep contacting restless the companies.
    If a real opportunity arises, a company will not wait long, especially after an interview! It should be straight away.

I’m too looking for job, being a newby. I spent now 3 months contacting again and again. Sometimes I wonder whether it’s true there is so much job..
    People keep saying that there are huge amounts of job everywhere.. Sorry but if this was true, how is it possible that companies are not more interested as they are looking for people? If they were really eager to get people, how is it that we have to call again and again on phone? A good CV in a mail should do it!

All I believe, is that there are plenty of trainees coming out of training courses and ready for the market. Subsea7 placed an ad for trainees in january, it wasn’t long before it was out of date. Probably because they had plenty of choice among newbies. Same for Acergy.

I know that it was winter and the bad season for north sea, but north sea is not all!! What about africa, middle east and asia, etc…

So let’s go on trying… One day maybe. Inch’allah

Ray Shields
    Participant

You said it Sinbad, they are spolit for choice. When you have 300+ people chasing 8 trainee positions and new CVs every week coming in why bother wasting resources speaking to people you don’t want.

The other problem is you can only take on so many trainees. Imagine if a Company took on 100 trainees at once – how are they going to train them and where are they going to put them. Some companies are better placed at supplying training and others have more control over where they can use trainees or more systems they can add them to.

Unfortunately for the experienced people long gone are the days where you would be given a trainee as an extra person for their first 2 or 3 trips.
    Nowadays they may get one trip and then get put in as a part of the team.

And getting a job is nothing to do with God – unless he’s hiring!

rover37
    Participant

Ray
    if we continue to get 300 aplications for 8 posts then why do we continue to hire people with totally irrelevant qualifications!!!!!

sinbad
    Participant

ok, but I have relevant experience in marine operations. So why can’t I be hired for, say, 1 trip in double and then left on my own?

I’m not afraid of that and fairly confident in my capacities.

In fact, under this word "trainee" you will find very different people, from the ones who never went on a ship and need a complete training, to other who are near this industy for which just a little touch of instruction is required.

I don’t want to be sent in a training course! I just need offshore operations.

So really I don’t understand this situation.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ray
    if we continue to get 300 aplications for 8 posts then why do we continue to hire people with totally irrelevant qualifications!!!!!

Just to annoy you 😀

I dont know who looks at the CVs and decides who to take on these days now Daves away.

Ray Shields
    Participant

Relevant experience in Marine operations? Im not sure what that means but assuming you have electrical, technical, hydraulic qualifications and experience that makes it you and several hundred others all applying for the same job.

You may know (or think) you know how to do the job but its the Companies who are hiring you need to persuade. And what makes you think you would learn all you need to know about ROVs in one trip? You can do a trip on an ROV and get 1) no flying and 2) no breakdown or carry out very little work, or you can do a trip with main lift reterms, lots of nightmare flying and a broken ROV every time you come on shift. And it also depends on what ROV it is, what job its doing, are you on a rig or a boat etc. Having experience in a marine environment already can help but its not the no. 1 priority.

Glad I dont have to decide who to take on 🙂

Andy Shiers
    Participant

So 😀
    In a nutshell ……………………………………..
    Get a job on a crap ROV system with shite pilots and you will get all the experience you need 😀
    You’ll still be considered a trainee no matter what you have done for a couple of years 😯
    The good side is that your healthy attitude in wanting to get in to the industry and your ambition will push you into the freelance circuit for bigger bucks 🙂 ……………….. This might just help me look even better than I already am when the ROV system you go out on canna be fixed and the client realises how little experience you have and pay me more 😀
    Yipeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar