Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner The Under Water Centre

The Under Water Centre

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner The Under Water Centre

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rhino
    Participant

Hi guys,

I am Norwich based working on rotation for Weatherford in Qatar.
    I am considering doing the full monty course with the underwater centre.
    This would mean the basic intro course on electronics and hydrualics as well as the pilot tech course.

The question is:

What do you think about the course ?
    Worth doing considering the cost would be over 10K GBP ?
    Any recommendations on prior reading considering i’m green ?

Appreciate any responses.

Cheers

RJ

Cabledog
    Participant

Rhino,

Read the FAQS first they are a gold mine of information, then ask your questions based on what you learn, also read the other threads on this forum, you WILL find answers to all the questions you have asked.

Good luck
    Dog

Ray Shields
    Participant

What he said!

The course at any ROV school on its own will NOT get you a job in ROVs. You need to have the skillset requirement (oo big words) of either electrical, electrionic or hydraulics. Have you HNC in any of these, have you got a trade or a track record of working with the above?

If not, then dont even think about an ROV course until you have some of these. The Underwater Centre is extremely weak when it comes to teaching hydraulics, tooling and fibre optics. Part of their course is an SVQ (north of the border NVQ) in electronics which costs about £3k just on its own. In my humble opinion, it is not worth it as you will never nowadays go into such detail offshore and you will forget it all within a couple of months of doing the course anyway.

Imagine not knowing how to drive, doing an intensive 2 week driving course and then passing your test. Do you think you could then drive on a motorway at night in the pissing rain?

Rhino
    Participant

Hi Guys,

Have had a look through the boards and spoken to a few people.
    Decided to go back to college, get an HND/C and get some more mechanical experience first.

Aswell as sweat me knackers off in Qatar for a while.

Appreciate the guidance.

Cheers

Rhino

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar