Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Titan 4 & Conan 7P

Titan 4 & Conan 7P

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Titan 4 & Conan 7P

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Mahesh
    Participant

Guys,

Which of this arms are preferred? Obviously price vise the Conan is half the price of the Titan 4, but it has more lift capacity and Torque?

Which of this would you recommend/prefer for a Heavy Duty Workclass ROV?

Cheers….

Glevum
    Participant

Titan 4

Wade Berglund
    Participant

Titan 4 has more smoother range of motion and better control. However, it is best to use in conjunction with another arm on the ROV such as a Schilling Rigmaster.

Just remember that the Titan 4 is more for fine movement and in getting into tight spots. The Titan 4 is very delicate when attempting to lift heavy loads with (especially with arm extended) and even the manual suggests you not to do that. If you mistreat a Titan 4 it will cost you and give you grief.

Orion yes is cheaper and possibly a bit more rugged, but you cannot beat the Titan 4. You will save time while doing tasks.

Mahesh
    Participant

Thanks Guys…. Cheers

DANFROV
    Keymaster

Freshie

If you are spending 2 to 3 million dollars on a Work Class ROV the cost of a T4 is only academic.

In my experience, buy cheap buy dear.

DanF

Workocean

rovnumpty
    Participant

Hello Freshie.

Can I ask why you are asking?

As Trimtank says, it’s all in the context of what you’re planning to use them for.

Mahesh
    Participant

Hello Rovnumpty,

I’m looking at the possibility of a Workclass ROV for the Asian market. I’m just juggling the thoughts of which arm will fit the market and at the same time be cost effective.

Obviously the Conan is more powerful and rugged and I’m also aware that the Titan is more delicate. Probably that’s why it cost double the price I guess.

Regards,
    Freshie

DANFROV
    Keymaster

The reason most companies use the T4 is that that is what the client asks for. So you would have a nice shiny Conan in the worshop and your T4 (paid for by the client) on the vehicle.

There is quite a market for T4 rentals. US $ 500 – $ 700 / day.

A few companies have these available for hire.

DanF

rovnumpty
    Participant

Hello Freshie.

I’d disregard the sales brochures from Schilling for this.

Standard fit on ANY construction orrientated ROV is the T4. Attempting to market an ROV without one into the construction would be virtually impossible.

On paper both arms may look similar – or even give the conan the advantage- but in practice, the conan is next to useless for anything other than basic lifting and shifting. Even then, it has issues lifting heavy loads from certain angles – It’s cast aluminium so the castings have a tendency to crack and break when tasked with lifting (or holding onto something).

The T4 (or earlier T3) is essentially an industry standard. Almost all tooling an construction methodolgy is based around this arm. Clients will expect to see one fitted, and you may find you’re losing contracts if you don’t.

However, if you’re marketing it into the drill support market, it’s probably not going to matter what you have fitted. The average drilling client wouldn’t know a ROV from a JCB. J

The main thing is to be aware that you will be limiting your systems marketability and effectiveness by going for the conan.

Mahesh
    Participant

Hi Rovnumpty,

Many thanks for that. And yes very true , if you follow the brochure, you will not see much of a variance.

Thats why I’ve used this website to find out more from the people who have experienced it.

Thank you guys.

Cheers,
    Freshie

Peter Schubert
    Participant

I would agree that the T4 is an industry standard (especially in conjunction with the Rigmaster). However, if you are looking for an alternative to Either the rigmaster or the T4, you might consider the Atlas 7R. I have driven one of these and I have to say they are incredible. It’s still not position controlled, but if you are really good with a rate controller, it’s almost as good as a T4, it’s stronger than a T4 or Conan, and it’s a fraction the price. C-Innovation has a number of UHDs outfitted with just 2 Atlas manips and they work fine (with a parallel jaw for one and 3 finger for the other). I have used a T4 for years, but if I had to pay for an arm, I would buy an Atlas. As soon as Schilling develops a position control kit for it (like the old Orian) the T4 will be nearly replaced by it.

R2D2
    Participant

I have also found each of the contributing messages helpfull. Thanks folks.

Indeed, the Atlas is interesting

http://www.schilling.com/productsmanipulatorchart.php

http://www.schilling.com/productspdfs/atlas.pdf

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

I would like to point out that T1’s to T4’s are all reliable – not just T3’s and 4’s.

luckyjim37
    Participant

I would always go for a T4 however if you are going for a small workclass vehicle the Orion can be a handy enough arm.

Mahesh
    Participant

Gents,

Thanks for the valuable advice. I’ve decided to go with the T4 for all the good reasons. While I was on the look out for the Manipulators, I did come across the Kraft Predator arms and also the Whittaker M5 Grabber. Any thoughts on this Manips?

Regards,
    Freshie

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar