Home Forums General General Board TMS

TMS

Home Forums General General Board TMS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    melvodon
    Participant

Tophat tms or cage tms what is best ,and you can only answer if you have used both methods

truered
    Participant

assuming we re talking about WROV, it will depend very much on the type of work

vessel work that involves a lot of shifting about. my opinion Top Hat.

If your over the same work site constant not moving then garage, land it on seabed and leave it there.

Axeman
    Participant

Another opined Oceaneer wearing his Biggles helmet and goggles with nothing better to do on his Rigswat job than polishing his trusty keyboard and ejaculate trival pursuit questions. I’ll be on best behaviour and answer this one.

OI fell in love with the Hysub Garage and brought the rights to calling it a Hydra as it fitted their need to gain rig-spport market share. Its claim to fame was its frame surrounding a ROV that could be launched in "adverse" weather conditions and recovered without damage. Damage meant the ROV would survive and with luck the garage wasn’t destroyed on entry /recovery. The bonus was if the heave got so bad you could dump it on bottom and suck the ROV in without damaging tether. Of course it also allows an ROV recovery if the Garage should break down. A lot of weak knee’d Supv’s in days of roughy toughy head banging Company Men sang high phase for their garaged ROV’s. Manly they lacked the balls to stand up and stop unsafe acts which endangered both equipment and men.

The rest of the industry saw it differently and were more interested in doing lumpsum, turnkey, construction projects where crap got bolted on left , right centre, over, under and in the rear.

Each to their own, you won’t see a garage system used for pipe touchdown, you won’t see it doing pipeline survey done with a full survey suite, you won’t see massive tooling packages, or anything that most people consider interesting work from a ROV person perspective. A tophat design just allows more job options. It is the better design for an ROV company if only someone could design it not to break down!

Now get back to work, you’re supposed to be on shift!

Air Commodore Raymond

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Garage – small vehicles
    Top hat – workclass

Mike Kidd
    Participant

Garage for my car
    Tophat when dancing with Ginger 😀

TheBaron
    Participant

you won’t see a garage system used for pipe touchdown, you won’t see it doing pipeline survey done with a full survey suite

Erm, not quite. TDM in shallow water, cross-haul the TMS if necessary. In deep water the ROV would normally be on a support vessel over touchdown. Full-on pipeline survey spread and TMS…..no problem, just slightly modify TMS for booms and tracker. Fit hydraulic retractor ram to tracker and profilers if you like pimping your ride.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Good point there Baron 🙂
    You canna do TDM from a barge without a garage no matter what type of ROV it is.
    Don’t forget the "Gimp" plate 😯

Stephen Black
    Participant

Just use a good old free flying work class to do the lot. Less stuff to break down

misiuek
    Participant

god help me agree with lost boy ..

small vehicles garage / larger tms although i’d sometimes like a top hat for the panther + , save me having to repair the pod covers all the time.

confused about this line though

You canna do TDM from a barge without a garage no matter what type of ROV it is

that isnt true,

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😳 Er ok I will elaborate on this ………………..
    Live boating is ok as long as you are on another vessel which means that the umbilical is taken away from the touchdown point and the stinger.
    Some of the Stingers can be up to ( if not more ) 200 m in length.
    I have seen wiv me own eyes mamma ! An ROV get caught along the stinger due to cross current and I have witnessed an ROV tether get severed at the end of the stinger 😯 The Rov floated up to the surface and was recovered.
    What I meant was ………. In order to do TDM safely,it is better to use a Garage type TMS.
    If the depth of water is shallow , and using a tophat , The ROV would be dragged on the seabed !
    Sorry for your confused look Musiek

Andy Shiers
    Participant

god help me agree with lost boy ..

small vehicles garage / larger tms although i’d sometimes like a top hat for the panther + , save me having to repair the pod covers all the time.

Why on earth would you be damaging the pod covers 😕
    Judging by the one you are talking about in Eastern block country…..
    You have no current hardly any swell 😕
    What are you doing wrong ? 😯

truered
    Participant

having done pipeline installations for a many a year with both TMS and freeflying, either or is ok and i have only once came close to losing a vehicle but the conditions at the time were not exactly safe or standard ROV ops.

been on equally more construcion jobs involving down lines and 2 x ROV’s plus more. you cannot beat a Top hat TMS.
    At the end of the day its what your competently trained in and comfortable with yourself.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😯

Wump
    Participant

Hi melvodon

Check your PM’s!

Hope all is well

Ally
    Participant

Have to point out Truered that your comment about landing a garage on the seabed is an absolute no-no. On a vessel it would be smashed to pieces with the heave and even on a semi it would sustain damage.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar