Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions TMS Excursions

TMS Excursions

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions TMS Excursions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Mahesh
    Participant

Gents,

Lately we had clients requesting 1000m or more tether on TMS as a criteria. I would like to have inputs from the experienced offshore team on what is the maximum excursions done from a TMS and what was the scope of work?

I’m curious to now how many would be willing to do the excursion of more than 800m from the TMS.

Appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers

rovnumpty
    Participant

Freshie

Depends entirely on what you’re doing.

I wouldn’t want to do a 1000m excursion in 20m of water with zero vis and high current on some wind farm job, but 1000m run back to carry out TDM on a 3000m deep pipe lay job wouldn’t put me up or down.

Sonsub/Saipem have been doing excursions like this for well over 10 years. Last I heard they were looking at putting 2000m of tether on to carry out TDM on an S-lay from the lay barge. Now that I didn’t fancy.

In my experience, over the last couple of years, there has been a lot of ‘engineers’ come into the business in decision making positions without any relevant experience. They can’t understand the risks involved with long excursions not only to the rov, but also to the project and the vessel. Moving the vessel as opposed to running the rov out is deemed as to time consuming. Ain’t nearly as time consuming as pulling a work class out of a thruster.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar