trainee

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    bug
    Participant

Hi all I’m a diver what just done my Rov course and trying to get out of diving I need help getting work they all say i need experience but no one wants to take me on so that i can get experience what must i do ive worked 5 years off shore as a diver

can any one help

Ray Shields
    Participant

What technical skills qualifications and experience do you have?

You have worked offshore, that counts as being familiar with offshore, but what are your electric, electronic or hydraulic skills like?

If you do not have these then you will find it extremely difficult as ROV companies require people with technical skills to maintain their equipment. The ROV course will not help if you are not technically skilled.

fishbowl
    Participant

Hey That’s a Good post !

Look I do have 12 years experience in electronic fixing DSP ( Digital Signal Processor ) and working on wireless data switch networking, ( Paging transmitter, fiber optics cable fusion, Spectrum analysis report and communication radio frequency line sweep!!!

I’am a diver too looking to start my own business in small ROV ( Seabotix, Seaeaye )but to secure loan from a bank program I must show I have experience in the ROV field. I’am a diver too, and I don’t want to spent extra money on training at Ft-Williams or else. But I need to spend a few month’s working for an ROV company.

Fugro seem’s interested what should I expect from prospect ROV company reply ????

Regs

Fishbowl

Ray Shields
    Participant

Firstly, WHICH Fugro, there are many different ones in all parts of the world and they are all different.

Normally a company is not going to take on a Trainee just so he can get a few months work. If you tell them you only want to work for a few months you will get nowhere. If you join and are put on an ROV training course you will be financially obliged to them for at least 2 years.

bug
    Participant

ok i understand if i dont have the experience in the electrical field but i do have experience in the hydraulic field but dont have my ticket in it and there is no place in south africa what offer the course so i must fly to the Uk to do it

and i dont want to work only a few month at a time I’m over the freelance story i want a contract at least for 2years and I’ll even do my first trip for free

sedco
    Participant

and I’ll even do my first trip for free

Whoa, whoa you’ll get no help from anyone around here if you carry on with that line of crap. You working for free just puts another brother out of work.

bug
    Participant

sorry for saying that but what must i do then

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

Lynch mob are 2 words that come to mind!!!!! 👿 👿 😡

marley
    Participant

One thing you can do to help get your start is to make sure that your real identity is not match to your user name on this forum. I know that if guys knew that u (will work for free) I bet that if anyone working offshore has anything to do with it your CV will be trashed and not label as a possible trainee to take on our shift.

James McLauchlan
    Participant

sorry for saying that but what must i do then

Most certainly do not work for free for start. You will get no support here if you do that.

fishbowl
    Participant

Hey Boddy !

Working for free ? No wonder why we only get 25$ for a mixed Gas dive !!! Not covered in initial contract .Comments and attitude like that kill both the diving industry people and will surely do the same on the ROV industry if you keep this attitude. Anyway if you say that to a prospect employer he is going to use you only for $hit jobs and the rest of the crew will make sure you get ran off…

Answer to rayshield Fugro Middle East. I would like to get there for a few years and have my little shop going on at the same time doing ship inspection in a port near home. This with a small observation class ROV. The loan process to buy a small Seabotix or Seaeye might take up to 9 months. But regardless I will not work for free !!!

Fishbowl

Daijodan
    Participant

Whoops! Well that rules out me using some time off work I was due to work voluntarily as a way of achieving some much needed first job experience!
    Didn’t consider for a moment what knock on effects that would have….
    Will file that plan in the bin.

Keep up the good work advising us naive types guys, your efforts are massively appreciated!

ROVRatt
    Participant

Bug

ok i understand if i dont have the experience in the electrical field but i do have experience in the hydraulic field but dont have my ticket in it and there is no place in south africa what offer the course so i must fly to the Uk to do it

There are plenty of hydraulic courses available in South Africa. Exactly what hydraulic ticket are you referring to? What ROV course did you do and where? You need to be able to do hydraulic, electrical and electronic work to fit in on ROV’s. The ability to work with aluminium, steel, stainless steel and fibreglass is also required.

Also learn to write using capitalisation and punctuation as you will require these skills as well.

And, lastly, NEVER, EVER work for free!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar