Home Forums General General Board Trainee ROV tech

Trainee ROV tech

Home Forums General General Board Trainee ROV tech

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daniboy1_2_3
    Participant

Hello there, i have just been offered an interview with a company for a trainee ROV technician position. I have an ONC in engineering which i gained a good few years back and basic mechanical and electrical experience. Can anyone offer me any good advice on what i should be brushing up on before my interview? I have been going through my old hydraulic and electrical notes but if anyone can be specific about what they are likely to ask me that would be a great help. Friends and family keep telling me to ham it up a little bit but i dont want to oversell myself to the point where i end up out of my depth. Any advice or information greatly appreciated.

temp
    Participant

daniboy123

If you have been offered an interview then presumably the company already thinks that you at least look potentially suitable on paper from info you provided on your CV/application form.

Best thing you can do is don’t bullshit. Good idea to brush up on the technical side if a bit rusty. You did not say what your main trade is/was – electrical/electronics or mechanical/hydraulic. Best to focus on the areas you know best, although knowledge of elect AND mech is required, teams usually tend to be made up of people with a of mix of experience e.g 3-man team per shift – a mech/hyd tech and an electrical/electronic tech, plus a Supervisor. On smaller all-electric vehicles it tends to be 2-man teams, more emphasis on elect side.

Take a look at manufacturers websites, data sheets of vehicles etc. – might give you an idea of what an ROV system consists of.

They will probably also be interested in things other than just the technical side, such as safety, how you would cope with teamwork, being away from home, living and working on board ships/rigs for weeks on end etc., irregular work patterns, short notice jobs, working unusual hours/shifts, also if you know anything about the company and what they do etc. Ask them about what training they give, general terms and conditions etc – an interview should be a 2-way process.

Some feedback to this site would be useful- whether successful or not.
    good luck

temp

daniboy1_2_3
    Participant

I had my interview which seemed to go well. Two halves to it, personal and technical. The technical side wasnt too bad and i was told i did pretty well and i would hear back from them soon. My main worry is that i dont actually have a trade, i only have basic experience of electrics/hydraulics gained at college. Will this be enough to start with or will i be out of my depth?

temp
    Participant

daniboy123

As I said, if said company didn’t think your background suitable enough for them to take you on as a trainee, from info you provided on your CV/application form, then they would not have called you forward for interview at all. Just depends on the suitability of the other interview candidates and how you compared whether or not you get the job.

If not successful, try and get some feedback from them to find out areas you can improve on.

If successful, then don’t fret about if you are good enough. Just work hard, be keen, ask questions, be willing to learn, brush up as much as you can on technical knowledge, read the manuals, learn from more experienced guys, ask if you are not sure – don’t bullsh*t, be safe. Most Supervisors would rather have someone who is keen and works hard and has potential and common sense, than a whizz-kid know-it-all who can’t be arsed grafting on deck and just wants to surf the net all shift. I have worked with some excellent techs who have not had much formal technical training.

good luck
    temp

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar