Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Training course in Philipines

Training course in Philipines

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Training course in Philipines

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    ROVrids
    Participant

Hi all, I recently took both courses in the Philippines with Subnet Services. Both were courses I very much regret taking. Having an electronics backround I thought the 3 in 1 would help me with the Hydraulics but I was very wrong. The course is held in a technical institute in Manila by people who have never seen an ROV and is so basic you might as well have read a GCSE level science book! The ROV pilots course looked to be better at first but wasn’t. It was held in Subic and promised to be a good course with lots of flying. The problem is that there are only two ROV’s, niether one is maintained and were out of action for most of the three week course. With 11 people taking the course we spent most of the time doing nothing. In fact we only got 4-5 hours flying in three weeks. An expensive three weeks doing nothing! Subnet are a joke and couldn’t organise a darn thing correctly and they ask for more money all the time! Gordon the guy who owns Subnet couldn’t care less and is more interested in swearing at you if you complain than fixing the problems. My advice is ONLY if you need to take the course in the Philippines, book direct with IDESS, and tell them you have some backround in electronics so they don’t ask you to do the 3 in 1. If you don’t have to do the course in the Philippines, go to Scotland or Oz!! Really, this course IS that bad and I wouldn’t touch it again even if they paid me.

Ray Shields
    Participant

So far all the feedback on the Philippines course has been very bad. Definately one to avoid then.

Andy Shiers
    Participant

😆

Aleef
    Participant

im so lucky because i didnt take 3 and 1 course..hahahahahaha

Aleef
    Participant

dont believe gordon to much..he is full of crab…liar..he just care about the money

ravi
    Participant

i have exprience of abt 24months offshore as an officer in offshore supply vsl,
    i have worked on the vsl on which Rov was being operated (Falcon), im nautical science graduate as well as holding a diploma in electronix and computer hardware. In addition my job has given me the good amount of exposure in electrohydraulic equipments.
    im quite keen to make into ROVs.
    HELP and advice!

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

Rav,

Be prepared to start at the very bottom, work hard in all sorts of weather. Do your best to get on with the job, show initiative, willingness to learn (very steep learning curve), as your Supervisor or Senior Techs will not be willing to teach you anything if you don’t give more than 100% effort expected.

Don’t forget to ask plenty of questions, but at the right time.

A degree or diploma doesn’t mean swat if you don’t know how or put that drill in the chuck, or even mix a can of paint! Trust me, I’ve seen it.

Have you ever repaired or performed maintenance on anything elec/mech/hydraulic either offshore or in a workshop?

What effort have you made to get an interview with any company?
    Sending out a well prepared CV probably won’t cut it, go door knocking too. At least it shows to the Ops Managers your dead serious. Who knows, right place right time?

Is your UKOOA medical and BOSIET current? (or equivalents).

I think that a course may help you find employment, but depends on which course (Fremantle help with job placement), and where you will be based from and where you’re willing to work.

Best of luck.

ravi
    Participant

Redherring,

First of all thanx for ur advice,

yes i have done repairs and maitenance on mooring winches and cargo hatch covers.

`Fremantle help with job placement’, can u plz explain this statement.

where should i go for my course, i have come to know that subnet services in philliphines is running a 3 in 1 course in addition to ROV pilot/tech course, hozzz that course is it woth taking it.

as im free to work any part of the world so from where should i start, plz advice.

REGARDS
    RAV

Ray Shields
    Participant

Rav,

read back the messages on this thread and from others. The feedback from them is that the course is NOT worth the money. There is a training school in Freemantle, Australia which has had some good feedback. They also help you get a job after the course according to reports.

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

Rav,

Cannot speak for the Subnet course, but have not heard any +ve feedback yet.

Info on the Fremantle course can be found here;
    http://www.challengertafe.wa.edu.au/scripts/viewarticle.asp?NID=5012

I found this on the FAQ link;

"What are the entry requirements?
    The minimum entry requirement to be considered for the course is to have a trade qualification in industrial electrical/electronics and/or hydraulics, together with 3 years experience.
    There are rare opportunities to enter the industry without having these
    qualifications but this is at the discretion of the employing company. IMCA has recommended the trade qualification as a minimum and most operators are following that guidance. All ROV operators in Australia have expressed support for the employment of graduates from this course.

What is the selection process?
    All applications are vetted by the college to check that they meet minimum entrance requirements. The Résumés of those that do are passed on to an industry panel to be ranked in their order of employability to each company. The average of these rankings is used to determine which applicants will be offered a place on the course.
    This process maximises the opportunities for graduates to be employed as
    industry has already had the chance to vet their training and experience and also influence the selection of course participants. It also allows the industry to have input into the choice of suitable candidates.

From what you’ve said of your experience, you don’t even meet the requirements by IMCA, so unfortunately would probably wouldn’t even get past vetting by the Course Co-ordinator, Bill Evans. But that’s up to him.

As far as job placement, Bill keeps you informed of any vacancies he hears about (potential or current). Your CV has already been seen by a number of Ops/Project Managers and ranked accordingly (if it gets that far), so that helps as well. But it’s alot more expensive than Subnet, more of a Introduction Course, but seems to have more credibility. Some managers actually visited us on course, and others during a couple of field trips to various companies. You still have to do the hard bit, and approach companies for an interview.

I did the course last year, and really enjoyed it. Was quiet intensive, and getting better all the time. Did have a brand new Triton XLS simulator with all the bells and whistles. Contact Bill for more info.

I almost did the Subnet course, but extremely glad I didn’t considering all the -ve feedback.

Read the Fremantle website, and if you feel you fit the IMCA requirements and won’t waste your time in applying,…. go for it.

I got a job rather quickly, but still had to make the effort and get out there myself. Very rarely does anything fall into your lap.

stevie78
    Participant

Mornin,

i’ve done both the rov and 3in1 course with subnet. no complaints with the training facilities (not the most up to date mind you) but subnet tend to overbook the courses. i was lucky and only had 2 other people with me on both courses. most flying time ur realisticly looking at is about 30 hours over 3 weeks. the 3in1 in pretty itensive course and if u have no electrical background i would guess people will struggle. if ur gonna attend make sure u get on a course with low numbers otherwise ur gonna be standing around with ur thumb up ur bumb most days!!!! advantage over freemantle is its cheaper and you get the same qualification. disadvantage would be the equipment in subic. only one rov was working at the time.

cheers

Christopher Tyson
    Participant

Stevie78,

Did you get work as a direct result of attending the course, and how long were you looking?
    What steps did you have to take to gain employment post course?

You do not get the same qualifications. There are no qualifications as a result of attending and passing a ROV course anywhere that I know, as the courses can only follow IMCA guidelines, and are not accredited.

Qualifications can (are) dished out by the managers after an Assessor has deemed you competent and you’ve met the companies competency scheme for that grade, not always following IMCA.

techsss
    Participant

So far all the feedback on the Philippines course has been very bad. Definately one to avoid then.

Ok, Thanks for that advice ray/rovworld

read back the messages on this thread and from others. The feedback from them is that the course is NOT worth the money. There is a training school in Freemantle, Australia which has had some good feedback. They also help you get a job after the course according to reports.

Ok, I guess I should contact these guys?? Have you these reports so i can see what ROVWorld base their advice on?

Hi ROVWorld LDA,

I in the process of finding a course.

I am planning to take the philippines course, I have heard good things (I don’t take forums too serious, you never hear the good things, only posts by guys who had a bad time for 1 reason or another).

I lucky enough to be on holiday in ph now, and have taken a day or 2 to check things out, the info on this board is a bit conflicting with the actual facts as far as i can see.

I see your post, you being part of the webteam and part of the ROVWorld LDA company (who has rov services similar to subnet) , is ROVWorld LDA implying that I should not do business with subnet??

Thats the impression i am getting from RovWorld.

I have spoken to subnet, the girls there were very helpful, and I see the course syllabus, it follows IMCA guidelines.

I pointed them in this direction and told them they should take a look, but in and clear some miss-informed facts up before others get the wrong information.

Thanks

lei

techsss
    Participant

dont believe gordon to much..he is full of crab…liar..he just care about the money

Hi Aleef,

Who is this guy gordon that you are calling a liar and a crab?

lei

T-Boy
    Participant

..he is full of crab…

Blimey, no wonder there is a crab shortage, that would explain the large waistlines 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar