Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Training course in Philipines

Training course in Philipines

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Training course in Philipines

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    Jackson77477
    Participant

🙄 Hi

Has anyone attended a course in the Philipines with subnet.
    If you have was it worth while

The subnet service in the phillipines has had alot of complaints, the place up in fort william in Scotland is meant to be good but ive been told by a friend at the Triton Group that none of the courses are worth the money you pay.

Moe
    Participant

Hey fellows,

I am just a newbee here, and would love to have some kind of a recommendation for a training company. The thing is, I have no technical background, so I am literally starting from scratch on the technical side. I was convinced that the SubNet training was superb prior to reading the comments, which I appreciate, it is not everywhere that you find people willing to share their experiences.

If anyone can point out to me what do I need to do since I have no technical background, and most of these training schools require technical knowledge, with the exception of Subnet, who train you in that regards.

Thanks,

Moe

Ray Shields
    Participant

Hey fellows,

I am just a newbee here, and would love to have some kind of a recommendation for a training company. The thing is, I have no technical background, so I am literally starting from scratch on the technical side. I was convinced that the SubNet training was superb prior to reading the comments, which I appreciate, it is not everywhere that you find people willing to share their experiences.

If anyone can point out to me what do I need to do since I have no technical background, and most of these training schools require technical knowledge, with the exception of Subnet, who train you in that regards.

Thanks,

Moe

If you do not have a technical background, qualifications or experience you should not be trying to do an ROV TRaining course as you need to have this BEFORE you take any course otherwise you will not get a job afterwards and would have wasted your money.

I Suggest that you look for suitable technical training in either electrical, electronic or hydraulics first.

Moe
    Participant

Thank you rayshields for your reply, can you please tell me what’s the applicable training? I mean I have had some limited electronics experience, but mechanics and hydraulics I have nothing to show for. Is there a specific technical course that I can enroll in? If so, where is the best place?

Thanks again,

Moe

Ray Shields
    Participant

I do not know the equivalent courses in Canada for what we have here in the UK, but here I would say than an HNC (Higher National Certificate) level for electronics or Hydraulics would be the level of technical quailification you should be looking for.

Looking through Google, it may be called Electrical or Hydraulic Engineering Technologist certificate over in Canada. Im sure some other Canadians can assist.

Moe
    Participant

Thank you very much rayshields for your continued help, and everyone who replied to answer my questions. I will take all the information you have and try to come up with a decision on whether to pursue this career or not.

Thank you very much once again,

Moe

oracle
    Participant

Hi guys, been reading through these threads on the above subject of Subnet in Subic,…well, i have 2 friends who did courses there last year, they did them at different times, and to this date none of them are working, prob various reasons why, not one of then could not even change a plug on a kettle….and still couldnt, the course they did, which i went through on the return of one of them seemed very basic to me, i was due to go out thee myself shortly after them, the thing that really startled me was the attitude of the company, mainly gordan i believe, there was quite a few short cuts being taken, some very dangerous too, ref the their offshore survival, he said it was all done in less than a day, which was suposed to have taken them around 3 days, and at the end of the course, having done aprox 7 hrs flying time, they filled his log book out as 72 hrs flying time !!!!, thi he said was done for everyone !, i personally told him to put a decimal point between the 7 and the 2 !!, has anyone else come across any of these practices too ?

Cookiemonster…

cookiemonster, could you please identify those two friends that you have mentioned…

not to say that you believe in their heretic stories but, if you could further give us more detail on the scenario, that would be much appreciated…

Thanks!

oracle
    Participant

SUBNET now there is a company who puts money before quality. Under no circumstances pay money to these people for your training course. I went on their course early 2008. There were 11 on the course. The practical flying time we received in Subic was 5.5HRS !!!! yes 5.5 HRS total over 3 weeks. The course was a disgrace. Everything which was run by IDESS was fine anything touched by SubNet was a disaster including the hotel and taxi bookings.

Gordon Sherry has no interest in your future and although he practically guarantees jobs after the course, (and says SubNet will do all they can to help) the truth is, they give you an email list with about 5 companies on it and wave you goodbye. I have a job now, but it was absolutely nothing to do with Subnet, and the company I work for believe Subnet to be very poor, and do not favour trainees from Subic.

And for your info, do not be fooled by the IMCA guidelines, they are exactly that, and when I questioned IDESS about the course flying time they said the guidelines were not there as rules!! (5.5HRS flying time …Total in 3 weeks).

Do you call that a good practical course Subnet?

it is quite amusing that you only voiced this out a year after taking the training… I am assessing each post you guys post for my evaluation…

however, may I just ask why you did not bring up the matter when you are still doing the course? just a clarification…

and to help us understand the matter, can you elaborate on this issue?

Thanks!

ejump
    Participant

Hey can anyboy tell me huoe to get 1st job seems very dificult to fine it..i got rov pilot from subic…i got technical background as a instrumentation i got BOIESET but till now stil very hard to get ..may be im asian that y pblm to get a job

Kevin Kelly
    Participant

Hello members and rookies considering avenues in to this industry..

I have just came back home to Aus after completing the part A (3 in 1) and B (flying @Subic) booked via Subnet Services.

I was fortunate to be 1 of just 4 on the course. Overall I was pretty happy with what I got out of the whole thing. You only ‘get out’ what you put in.

Yes the part A – made up of electronics, hydraulics & high voltage is pretty simple stuff but it does give you a good broad base of these systems as they apply to ROV’s.

Part B – the ‘flying’ in Subic Bay was very good too.. Wreck dives, bottom surveys, night dives etc. all good stuff. Sure, the Navajo & seabotix are not typical of all the "real deal" work class machines I might be working with when I start work, but the joysticks, pre & post dive procedures, cameras and the like are. As we were only 4 on deck, and 2 of them were pretty disinterested in proceedings, I got 40 genuine flying hours under my belt over the 3 weeks. Both the instructors are ex pat UK and have huge experience & knowledge.

My only complaint is that by end week 6, I felt it was a pretty long course. I have an electrical & A/V background, and maybe I could have skipped part A, but i still got new knowledge specific to ROV control circuits etc.

This course did not make me an ROV supervisor in 6 weeks flat, but has given me a good broad brush of the whole caper which I now need to take to the real world and apply to a specific system/vehicle. A couple o offshore swings on a specific vehicle and I’ll be good as gold and moving up in my new career.

Any one wants to know more about the Subnet/IDESS experience just ask. I can give you my thoughts and was in the very last course, so ‘up to date’. I also have the manuals & syllabus materials in electronic format that you might find helpful.

Kevin Kelly, Western Australia

sedco
    Participant

This course did not make me an ROV supervisor in 6 weeks flat

You will probably need to say that again to yourself a few times over the next few years.

Thanks for the report though.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

This course did not make me an ROV supervisor in 6 weeks flat

You will probably need to say that again to yourself a few times over the next few years.

Thanks for the report though.

Minimum of 4 years is what it SHOULD be to "become" a supervisor…

Kevin Kelly
    Participant

Yeah yeah, I KNOW that.

That’s what I’m saying, no course will perform a miracle for a student, but as information for those asking here about this course, i’m saying while it won’t make you an instant top performer, it does give you a good foundation to start out from….

Sorry if that’s not clear.

Cheers!

Matthew Kirkpatrick
    Participant

Hi Mr very newbe here. Hey KKOz
    thanks for putting your posts on this forum. I’ve been contemplating going to the philippines to do the premium ROV course
    1) Electronics for ROVs (4 week)
    2) ROV Pilot Technician (3 week)
    But just a little worried that i will be wasting my money. I’m very interested in this line of work. But i don’t have an electical or hydrolic back ground. I’m a boilermaker welder(plater welder) by trade with 15 years experience & i’m just ready for a new challage. I’ve thought about commercial diving due to me also be a qualified scuba diving instructor but i now find this ROV very interested!!
    Is your flying time legit? As others who have done the course have said otherwise?
    I think i’m a very quick learner & my engineering background should help me a little don’t ya think??
    I’m like to say PM me but i don’t know if you can or if it is set up? As i’ve quite afew other questions to ask before spending $13000 or what ever it is.
    later amigo (",)
    I’m now in Perth OZ & could give you a call if that would be OK?

Sit Rep
    Participant

Minimum of 4 years is what it SHOULD be to "become" a supervisor…

Don’t think so Scot, the number of supervisors I’ve had that couldn’t write their own name without a spell-checker!

After all it took 4 years (minimum time) to obtain my trade (electronics), after which I started at the bottom.

If you are going to approach the ROV business as a "tradesman" i.e. become proficient in all aspects of operation and maintenance then surely becoming a "foreman" i.e. supervisor, after 4 years is unrealistic.

It is apparent from this topic that people are obsessed with flying hours to the detriment of technical training.

I consider myself a newbie after 4 years in the ROV game (and most of my working life at sea) but my comment would be " If you can’t effin fix it don’t even think of flying it".

Australia is always short of Filipino baristas!

😉

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar