Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Transit Rates

Transit Rates

Home Forums ROV ROV Pay Rates Transit Rates

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Axeman
    Participant

Whats the crack with Transit Rates in Asia ROV companies. Got a call at 2am in the bloody morning from some dick in Singapore begging to come work for them. Rates were the best I’ve heard in a long time, but talk of a Transit Rate had me hanging up, just don’t need to hear that wank anymore. 😈

Gina McLauchlan
    Participant

Guess it’s all in how you manage to negotiate.

Listen to what they want, tell them what you want out of the deal. 8 out of 10 times they will want to reach an agreement, especially if they are that desperate for people.

You have to be able to show that you can/will compromise. I take it you live in the UK…and that you work in the UK, or via a UK agency. Now, if these guys called you from Singapore it was direct, so, what was the rate compared to what you usually get? Was that a bit of a compromise?

Theblackfingernail
    Participant

Well done Axeman,

I hope youe billed them for a full hour and a unsoshable hour charge aswell.

Negotiate my arse. If they phone you and to work for them, then from the day you leave home they pay you the full rate, not some Micky Mouse Transit Rate, Poke It.

So you would be on this Micky Mouse Rate until your onsite, what happens if your sailing back in or down on weather, fecking chancers.

Sound like Walt Disney’s get’n into the Offshore game.

The Finger

James McLauchlan
    Participant

If they are calling at that time of the morning then they are well stuck and full rate door to door would be the way to go.

Negotiation is the name of this game… don’t negotiate=don’t ever get a better rate… your call. I’d rather negotiate.

Over the past few years some well known companies have a set travel rate for the first day of travel and full rate thereafter. On that basis you would never end up sat in a hotel on travel rate for days on end.
    For the past 4 years or so times have been hard (for some) and there have been plenty of people settling for that routine with Sonsub, for example. The companies knew they could get away with it and they tried it on.

Time has moved on… it’s our market at the moment and the industry is well busy so, in my case, I now negotiate may way out of anything that represents something called a travel day/rate, first day of travel or not.
    No need to get up tight about it though… just get what you want in a friendly manner which will pay dividends in the end.

I’m not sure where Mickey Mouse or Walt Disney fits into the discussion about rates though. What’s that all about??

TheBaron
    Participant

😯 I’m shocked that companies still try this one on! They want you, they pay for you. As far as I’m concerned, when I close my house door to get in the taxi, I’m working! You take a look at your Contract General Agreement and I’m sure you’ll find a little clause that states words to this effect:
    "Code of conduct
    The Contractor will comply with Company and Client procedures and regulations………………………….blah drugs blah alcohol blah safety blah
    Such procedures and regulations will govern the Contractor’s conduct during work, and while travelling between his home and Place of Work"
    Thus, they assume control of the Contractor from the second you leave home. As I don’t work for free, they pay me from the second they control me. They want me to come to them, they provide transport.
    Make sure you remember your Contract Agreement next time you transit through Amsterdam!:twisted: 😳
    There have been occasions where a company has asked me to pay for the odd little transfer flight/taxi with the promise of reimbursement. Fine, but make sure you add an administration fee on your invoice for your time and effort, especially if the administration was done after the job.

How many freelancers out there have a ‘late remittance charge’ written into their Specific Terms? Hell, they would bang you up for 2-5% per month/day if you were late paying them!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar