Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Triton ST 200 Information?

Triton ST 200 Information?

Home Forums ROV ROV Rookie Corner Triton ST 200 Information?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    ionicwings
    Participant

Hi,

Anyone here have experience with Triton ST 200? So far I got the specs of it but I am wondering if there’s an available manual for it like troubleshooting and in depth information about the ROV. Or if you have some personal experience to share? Any help will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks! 😉

K2
    Participant

ionicwings

The Triton ST subs are getting old now. You might find some little used, well maintained ones around but most have seen plenty of action especially those used as trenchers. Views will vary but I found, as with all Perry kit, the manuals are very basic, drawings are easy to use and generally the subs are ok if maintained. The 200 series can be a pain in the ass to work on as everything is crammed in. You’ll see similar faults from system to system including on the LARS but that’s par for the course with most ROVs. Control cab is basic, banks of toggle switches everywhere. Layout will vary depending on teams using the kit. The manips are 7fn Orions with toggle switch control although you may find some updated Scilling arms out there such as the T4. You’ll get an e-copy of the manual when you get on the system, there’s nothing wonderful about them so don’t hold your breath! Provided you have a good technical background you won’t have any problems, the rest comes with familiarity & time on a system.

Let me know if there’s anything specific you would like to know by PM.

Stay Safe
    😉

ionicwings
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll pm you for few more of my questions 😉

oh and thanks for mentioning the brand names. it’ll help me on my research 😉 (I’ve heard of Schilling). Probably be the ROV that I’ll be trained for my first job. 😉

add: How about for Nereus III and IV, anyone got experience with it? Thanks!

gotta research more, google isnt very good to me 🙁

K2
    Participant

😆

N3 & N4 are SMD trenchers. Good solid equipment, well built, easy to work on. Good handbooks and drawings. Again these are old beasts and have seen alot of action so you’ll be kept busy with their maintenance. I figure you’re heading to Tyco via their sole agency. Great boss, good bunch of guys, some of the best in the industry, you should have no problem.

😉

ionicwings
    Participant

Cheers! You rock!

this is even better than google 😆

Anonymous

Hi

I used to work on ST200 systems with Global Marine through a agency

The ST’s are basically a Perry XLS system core with a jetting package & tracks fitted .
    I now work on rig support which is much easier & requires far less techincal knowledge.

The ST systems require a very high degree of technical nuance , they are not for the faint hearted & many of the guys who i work with now would be cluless for fault finding on a complicated beast compared with the baby ROV’s I work on now.

The global ST’s had fitted normally
    TSS 350 / 340 systems , they might even have 440 sytems now
    Shilling manips / as stated
    Cutters & grippers ( slingsby systems , part of perry UK side )
    Konsberg cameras 6 off , from color , B & W to low light SIT
    P & T units 4 off , Tritech I think ?
    Various jet tool length sizes with jetting pressure 80 to 100 psi via 2 pumps ( sorry cant remember the make )
    Jet tool wide , narrow , extend , deploy stow
    Sonar . cant remember what make , maybe tritech , also possible that some may have profilers.

Working for Global Marine there was none of the Oil & Gas BS & no backstabbers / office grassers or big headed c****s that unfortunatley the Oil & Gas game is 90 % made up of.

Anyway let us know how you get on .

ionicwings
    Participant

Thanks AsianStallion

I will let you know once I get into my training. Gotta be at least a bit prepared you know, at least knowing the concepts and background info that you guys gave me. 😉

Anonymous

HI
    I was on 208 Canyon (i think it was 208) many years ago, i remember the tracks was pice of shite, came of all the time. come to think about it,,, dont miss it. 😉

Ray Shields
    Participant

Ionicwings,

assume this is your first job after Fort William then?

Come back afterwards and let us know how good or relevant the training was compared to actual work. Did it adequately prepare you for the job? Assuming you had all the competencies signed off, you should come out of there as a Pilot Tech 2. Did you think you could have been a PT2 on your first job?

Its just that its difficult for people to gauge how good the training that they got was until they actually have to put it into practise.

ionicwings
    Participant

Ionicwings,

Come back afterwards and let us know how good or relevant the training was compared to actual work. Did it adequately prepare you for the job? Assuming you had all the competencies signed off, you should come out of there as a Pilot Tech 2. Did you think you could have been a PT2 on your first job?

Its just that its difficult for people to gauge how good the training that they got was until they actually have to put it into practise.

I surely will comeback after my first work and have an unbiased comment on your questions. Thanks 😉

oh and thanks deepdown for the tip 😉

ionicwings
    Participant

Ionicwings,

Hi.. I just remembered this site again and found this thread. Well this is my answer about how relevant the training is…

I worked offshore for a month as an ROV Pilot/Sea Plough trainee last Feb-March of 2008.

Was the training relevant or helpful in the job?
    Unfortunately, No. What I learned in FW is for a specific kind of ROV only which was the Falcon. What we handled was the Sea Plough (SMD) and ST Triton (i think). Since it’s a cable burial job, most of the time we used the Sea Plough and I have zero experience with it. The piloting is quite easy but the maintenance is not. As a person who doesnt have any background in actual mechanical, electrical and hydraulics, I found myself clueless at most times which is kinda frustrating. The training in FW is great if you know you will handle a falcon or if you already have deep know-how in any of the said fields. But if you are like me, who doesnt have much technical experience and knowledge, then you will probably have a hard time too.

Did FW benefit in any way in your job?
    Definitely. Without FW contact list, I wouldnt have gotten the job. FW is also great for basic awareness of the ROV Industry. But it takes an experience or strong background in Mechanical, Electrical or Hydraulics, to get to this career and stay in this career.

Some experiences working offshore?
    I was so lucky I was in the a very understanding team. Embarrassingly I ddnt know much about tools as well but they taught me how to use most of what they use. But of course, anyone who worked offshore for a long time will notice that I am not used to that kind of hard labor. But they did commend me for trying really hard which I really appreciate. Unfortunately, it was my last offshore trip with them. It was a fun ride and will want to do it again if I am ready.

Will you recommend FW for training to get into the ROV industry?
    Yes and No. FW is a great stepping stone to the ROV industry. I describe this more like a risk to take since there is no guarantee. I personally think that if you have the money to do this then go for it. If you have to get a loan to afford this then I suggest that you dont. For people with strong background in the fields mentioned then this will add to the probability of getting a job and staying in the job. For people with no technical background at all, then this will probably get you a job (like me) but you will probably have a hard time keeping it. So I suggest people with no strong technical background to get the necessary courses and experience before you get the ROV training course specially if you dont have a lot of money in the bank. It also depends on how resourceful you are… unfortunately, I dont have enough common sense in this field so I never kept my first one and did not really pursued another one.

Do you plan on working on the ROV Industry in the future?
    Probably… I am still on the fence about this. I tried getting another degree (Mechatronics Engineering) but I am also working while studying and i just cant find the time to study so I stopped schooling. I have a great job right now and I am earning quite a lot if you spend it here in the Philippines. I currently dont have plans to go back in the ROV industry but if I do, I’d make sure I am ready… like if I have a moderate to strong background about the concerned technical fields. I had a few job offers recently but I really couldnt leave my job at the moment.

What’s your career now?
    Fortunately a few months after my first and last offshore trip, I was contacted by my former boss from Google since they’ve set up their own creative house. I was hired directly and was working remotely (from home) as a Creative Designer since then, earning in USD.

I am not sure if my former supervisor and some of my former coworkers are reading ROVWorld but if they read this (and recognized my handle) then BIG THANKS to you guys! You’ve been SO patient and understanding about my case. I wish you all the best. 😀

Khalil Aleker
    Participant

Thanks for this review of training, extremely useful! All the best

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar