Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Trying to find a decent sliding rack system

Trying to find a decent sliding rack system

Home Forums ROV ROV Technical Discussions Trying to find a decent sliding rack system

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Kevan Dalby
    Participant

hi all

Hopefully in the right forum for this question.

we are looking at revising the current layout in a standard 20ft container so that the personnel are facing the longest wall giving everyone as much space as possible during inspection operations etc.
    There is some concern that access to the rear of the 2 x 19" racks used for 3rd party equipment will be required on a regular basis and therefore a need to be able to "pull out" the two racks.
    I have a rough 3d drawing showing the basic idea if anyone needs clarification.
    what i would like to do is to have the whole panel between the 19" units also come out as a complete unit so work can be carried out behind and then slide it all back towards the wall to give maximum operational space when access is not required.

Does anyone know if there are any companies that produce such a system or maybe have any other ideas for this? If i remember correctly the Perry systems like the MAKO had a similar setup where the complete control desk and racks could be pulled out from the wall to access behind.

Any help or suggestions welcomed.

Rgds
    Kev

3d_view_887.jpg
     Description: The green area is for txfrs & Pdus with own Air Con.
    3d_view_887.jpg

Rons_ROV_Links
    Participant

Place the left rack next to the one on the right.

Turn both racks 90 degrees, so front and back of the racks are facing the 2 short walls of the container.

Do not install doors on the front side (desk) so operators can see the equipment and operate them when needed. You might want to install doors at the back of the two racks to reduce noise from fans, but I don’t prefer the doors. Doors reduce the air flow for ventilation too much. You also need ‘extra’ space for opening these doors.

When the racks are placed next to each other there’s still enough space to pass.

You might think of placing the racks on sliding rails so they can be moved of the walls after unsecuring. I don’t think it’s really prefered to move the racks for repair during rough weather. The rails have to placed flushed with the floor to avoid a tripping hazard.

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Place the left rack next to the one on the right.

Turn both racks 90 degrees, so front and back of the racks are facing the 2 short walls of the container.

Do not install doors on the front side (desk) so operators can see the equipment and operate them when needed. You might want to install doors at the back of the two racks to reduce noise from fans, but I don’t prefer the doors. Doors reduce the air flow for ventilation too much. You also need ‘extra’ space for opening these doors.

When the racks are placed next to each other there’s still enough space to pass.

You might think of placing the racks on sliding rails so they can be moved of the walls after unsecuring. I don’t think it’s really prefered to move the racks for repair during rough weather. The rails have to placed flushed with the floor to avoid a tripping hazard.

Good point about the weather and sliding racks. I did already try to convince people that it may be just as easy to mount the rack equipment on pull out trays / rails rather than the whole rack. As the side panels can be removed this would also give access to rear of any equipment installed but hey ho once an idea is in place it’s very difficult sometimes to change it@@

Appreciate the 90 deg idea as well and will certainly raise these points

Rgds
    Kev

Sit Rep
    Participant

Hi there,

My two cents worth…

Agree that racks are best placed across versus along the container.

Make sure that inspection johnny sits next to PDU / transformers, it will be hot and uncormfortable. 😉

I would definitely recommend a sliding shelf versus sliding rack particularly in any sort of sea state. Consider patching your video and any serial data e.g. external sensors / remote feeds at the front face of the equipment racks which will probably reduce most requirements to access the rear of the racks.

Go for "low-noise" fans in the equipment racks e.g. sleeveless or mag-lev bearings.

Where’s the entry door? I envisage in your drawing that it’s behind the operators who may be blinded when the door opens.

Cheers

Kevan Dalby
    Participant

Hi there,

My two cents worth…

Agree that racks are best placed across versus along the container.

Make sure that inspection johnny sits next to PDU / transformers, it will be hot and uncormfortable. 😉

I would definitely recommend a sliding shelf versus sliding rack particularly in any sort of sea state. Consider patching your video and any serial data e.g. external sensors / remote feeds at the front face of the equipment racks which will probably reduce most requirements to access the rear of the racks.

Go for "low-noise" fans in the equipment racks e.g. sleeveless or mag-lev bearings.

Where’s the entry door? I envisage in your drawing that it’s behind the operators who may be blinded when the door opens.

Cheers

Cheers for the input.

It was envisaged that the entry would be a dog leg through the green area which they had hope to split in half ( this is hopefully where the Txfrs, PDUs and Aircon compressors will be situated). Splitting in half would solve the light ingress problem much better than a blackout curtain across the door as these never really worked brilliantly from memory!!
    I am trying pretty hard to get the input from the actual rov team members but they have not been listened to that much in the past !! no surprises there!!!
    I’ll post what decision the grown ups make in the end

Appreciate the input

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar