UKPS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sedco
    Participant

Anyone know what’s happening at UKPS.

Lots of new names contacting me for info but no offer of jobs. Lots of the old staff seem to have left.

Anyone got work through them recently?

xxx
    Participant

A number of the girls are off on maternity leave that is why all the new names are appearing. I just completed a job through them a few weeks ago and last I heard things were getting busy. Over all 2008 is due to be relatively quiet but things get frantic next year.

ROV industry is a reflection of normal ying and yang cycles go with the flow, put some money in the bank for the yang.

K2
    Participant

Most guys I know are avoiding UKPS because of recent tax issues……

xxx

No idea what you are basing your opinions on when you say
    ‘Over all 2008 is due to be relatively quiet’, it is quite the opposite from what I’m seeing, reading and doing…..

😉

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

K2,

Re: your statement below…

No idea what you are basing your opinions on when you say
    ‘Over all 2008 is due to be relatively quiet’, it is quite the opposite from what I’m seeing, reading and doing…..

Know whacha mean, hard to get time off / too many carrots to nibble…

Ray Shields
    Participant

I use my carrotts to make soup at home. I’ve worked 6 weeks offshore this year so far, I don’t want to rush these things 😀

I much prefer being at home 🙂

xxx
    Participant

It is all in the word relatively! This year is “relatively quiet” compared to the forecasted work scopes for next year. You think things are busy this year wait for next year.

Must agree with you Ray rather see the rates up so I can have more time at home.

Scott Beveridge
    Participant

It is all in the word relatively! This year is “relatively quiet” compared to the forecasted work scopes for next year. You think things are busy this year wait for next year.

Must agree with you Ray rather see the rates up so I can have more time at home.

One can have it both ways (carrots AND loads of cash) as well and RETIRE earlier…

Subhuman
    Participant

I decided to try agency work for a while starting this January. After reading the comments on this site, I parted ways with the Company and registered my details at several of the Agencies including UKPS. After jumping through the paper work they require, such as letter from accountant saying I would look after my own tax, copy of my corporation cert etc: I was told it was a slow start but something should come along mid Feb. Zero offers so far!
    So I have not been offshore yet this year, and contact “by e-mail” 4 agencies every other week to let them know I am available. Sub Serve sends me the most offers but to date others have gotten the jobs.
    Has any one else had the same trouble?
    😳 😯

Andy Shiers
    Participant

Nope 🙂
    There’s been absolutely loads of offers and I keep on turning them down 😯

AssWhole
    Participant

K2
    Participant

Subhuman

Shouldn’t you have registered with agencies, secured work then left your company 😕 ??

You have to remember agencies have core guys who’ve worked regularly with bigger clients. These guys know the vessels, systems and personnel involved so when things go quiet these guys still keep going. I really can’t say things are quiet though…..

As with LB, I’ve been turning work down daily and the companies I’ve worked with are crying out for guys. I guess it comes down to suitability, not just technical ability but operational experience. I always watch the market and try to have work planned for around three or four months ahead……..it’s worked for me so far….

Keep banging on those doors and giving people a call, it’s easier to talk to someone…..

😉

Subhuman
    Participant

🙂

Subhuman
    Participant

K2
    Thanks for the insight! Off coarse I did what you suggested, but I believe there has been a slower start to the years work then the agencies thought it would be. I will continue to look, and enjoy my time with my family till the call comes. This is the longest I have been home in one go since I started offshore 12 yrs ago and they think it’s great too.

Anonymous

HI
    Work here in Asia is plentiful, I get mails every week about work, also from people I have never heard about.

luckyjim37
    Participant

It does seem that this year is a little slower to get going than the last couple. The main reason it seems is that the GOM is now a little quieter and from what I see there are more people not doing West Africa which dilutes the need for people everywhere else.

However it is getting busier now. More jobs coming through on this site and from the agencies.

If you have not had an offer of serious work yet then it will probably come soon unless there is a reason for that……..

Most of the guys will have worked regular slots through the winter or at least regular with a company now is the time when they need the new blood for the upcoming season.

Of course you could try contacting companies and directly invoicing them there are a few around who take people on that basis saves them paying the agencies.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.

Skip to toolbar